With a knowledge of getting pretty good tax returns the last few months I had been doing a lot of research on what guitar I might buy. It had to be classic Les Paul style with a solid maple cap and preferably with flame maple veneer on top, preferably heavy and being black is a big bonus. I ended up ordering this from musicstore.de

Excuse the messy bed sheets. And yes I am a bachelor.

An Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus in gorgeous Midning Ebony finish. Now some of you might remember my some harsh words about Gibsons legal department and strongly considering other brands, like Tokai, instead. I still think they are a bag of dicks but I simply could not justify putting 900€+ on a MIJ Tokai with similar specs to this one. Sometimes poor just has to let go of his pride and buy what he can get.

Now about the guitar, its as I said drop dead gorgeous. Flames on the veneer are not exactly even and due to trans-black finish not particularly deep looking either but I dont mind, its beautiful. Only problem with the finish is a small blemish near the nut. Its right on the surface, might even go away with guitar polish and some heavy rubbing.

The body is solid mahogany and it should have a solid carved maple cap (will check one next string change, though most likely its covered in black paint), but its unfortunately not particularly heavy. Atleast not for me, but then again I am a very big guy. Bit sad since I have always wanted to own one of those Les Paul that feels like they are made from lead. Not even nearly as heavy as my cousins MIJ Tokai or the Gibson Les Paul I tried in a shop last week. Its about same weight as the alder bodied Tokai LP I tried on same trip.
So I guess the body is the cheap asian variety of mahogany, same as Cort CR280 I tried couple of months back. Actually this guitar feels a LOT like that Cort, weight and all.

The setup on this guitar was done buy mentally challenged monkey if I would have to throw a wild guess. Neck relief is fine but the action was high. And I mean HIGH! Guitar was not even nearly in tune and the action was completely unplayable. But not a big issue, few adjustments and its perfect. Now its really low on the treble side and no dead notes or buzzing strings. Bit higher on bass side though since the strings buzz easily on intense tremolo picking but its still comfortably low.

Guitar is really nice to play. Balance is great compared to the heavily contoured Cort EVL-Z4 single cut LP style guitar which is bit neck heavy. This Epi stays in angle I choose without problems. The neck thickness is about the same as the Cort, about medium thickness and my favourite size. However the neck is glossy. I am one of those people with really dry hands and they do not slide on glassy surfaces at all, they stick like bluetack no matter how light I hold it. I may have to introduce some scotch britepad on it sometime to satin it out a bit.

I have been spoiled with the output of my Dimarzio X2N and Tone Zone I have in my Cort EVL Z4 and LTD F-50 so the noticeably lower output Gibson pickups this guitar comes with takes some time to get used to but they do sound very good.

Also a huge plus to musicstore.de because they sent a small gift with the package. A CD!

Now all I did is a quick listen and honestly its not that good. A female fronted B-grade Goth Metal(ish) band, nothing even nearly as good as Tristania was. I may give it a proper listen sometime but now I am too busy with a new toy. Anyway its the thought that matters. Its always nice to receive extra gifts with your orders, will definetly shop again sometime.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Nice score. Tributes are nice. HNGD

iirc the tributes have a solid maple top but the flame is veneer. Too bad you didnt get the brown case with it too.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It's a beauty I've been gassing a goldburst LP in the wake of the new Bill Kelliher sig, too bad those don't really exist. But happy new guitar day to you
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Nice score. Tributes are nice. HNGD

iirc the tributes have a solid maple top but the flame is veneer. Too bad you didnt get the brown case with it too.

Thanks guys.

Oh its definetly a veneer. A piece of actual flame maple is ridiculously expensive and you see one only in premium instruments. But a solid cap or ordinary maple with a cosmetic veneer on top is just as good.

I have to clarify about the weight. In no way is this a lightweight instrument, holding one standing up for extended period might feel annoying. But its not a Les Paul that feels like lead when just picking one up from a stand.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
Thanks guys.

Oh its definetly a veneer. A piece of actual flame maple is ridiculously expensive and you see one only in premium instruments. But a solid cap or ordinary maple with a cosmetic veneer on top is just as good.

I have to clarify about the weight. In no way is this a lightweight instrument, holding one standing up for extended period might feel annoying. But its not a Les Paul that feels like lead when just picking one up from a stand.

For the most part. I got a cheapy one with a solid flame though.

Also you can shed a ton of weight if you swap out the zinc pieces for aluminum. Your back will thank you!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
For the most part. I got a cheapy one with a solid flame though.

Also you can shed a ton of weight if you swap out the zinc pieces for aluminum. Your back will thank you!

LOL!

Hmm... I might actually even do it.

Regarding pickups, I may change the bridge pick up to something hotter. Its good sounding but not really suitable for the genre of music I play (99% metal). However on the other hand I'd like to keep this as close to the classic Gibson style as possible so definetly no more X2Ns or D-Activatiors. Maybe I should hunt down a used Gibson 500T? Or just buy a new one, they are not that expensive on Thomann.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Nice guitar! Also, cool freebie! Or at least, cool to get a freebie, even if they're not your thing.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well if youre after something hotter but still want an lpish tone you could consider the 57 classic + set if youre sticking Gibby. Maybe a 500t 490r set if you need something even hotter or something but you can probably find better options from other companies.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by JustRooster
The 1960's Tribute is the best LP Epiphone makes right now, IMO. Congrats!

Yeah I agree. You can't get a better LP from Epiphone until you hit some of the MIJ ones. Good woods and great features at a reasonable price.

Plus the black burst looks immense.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Sweet pick.

If you're ever wondering if a pickguard might make it look even cooler, I can assure you that it does.
(Invalid img)
Quote by Silky90
Sweet pick.

If you're ever wondering if a pickguard might make it look even cooler, I can assure you that it does.
(Invalid img)

*coughs* Errr I am kinda an intense hater of pickguards on flame maple tops. Solid color LP with pickguard (like all black guitar and black pickguard with cream bindings on both ) is pretty damn sweet but if flame maple topped it makes me go on ranting spree about why the hell anyone would want to cover that pretty wood with a cheap piece of plastic.

*edit* Anyway regarding the output, all it took was to plug in my Bad Monkey and now the high gain sings again! I am kinda wondering why I didnt do this in the first place 'cuz that should be kind of obvious thing to do. So not in a hurry to change the pups yet.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
*coughs* Errr I am kinda an intense hater of pickguards on flame maple tops. Solid color LP with pickguard (like all black guitar and black pickguard with cream bindings on both ) is pretty damn sweet but if flame maple topped it makes me go on ranting spree about why the hell anyone would want to cover that pretty wood with a cheap piece of plastic.

Cause it's right and they came with them.

ain't it rage inducing?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Cause it's right and they came with them.

ain't it rage inducing?

Careful, you are poking a wasp nest with a stick.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Careful, you are poking a wasp nest with a stick.

I can zoom into the plastics next time if you want.

Anywho, HNLPD, welcome to the club.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I now have Les Paul GAS...
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Dec 9, 2014,
Sweet

Seriously consider getting Gibson 500T for the bridge. Fantastic pickup.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Sweet

Seriously consider getting Gibson 500T for the bridge. Fantastic pickup.

I will in near future. Its only 69€ on Thomann, thats cheaper than SD Distortion or any higher output Duncan really.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's one of the more gorgeous LP's I've seen... Gibson, Epiphone, or otherwise. HNGD!
Congrats! Nice score.

And just to induce rage,

because, as has been said, they're SUPPOSED to be like that. Hahaha.
^^

Why did you take your guitar to a diner?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Hydra26
Congrats! Nice score.

And just to induce rage,

because, as has been said, they're SUPPOSED to be like that. Hahaha.

Just because something is a tradition doesnt mean its automatically right. My personal little rebellion.

^^

Why did you take your guitar to a diner?

Anyway, thanks guys. I forgot to mention about the strap locks. Not sure if I am trying to put them on wrong or something but they seem impossible to put on with a thick padded strap. I think I have to buy some cheap Dunlop quick straplocks, this is too good guitar to be left alone without any protection.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Silky90
Sweet pick.

(Invalid img)

Les Pauls are always cooler without the pickguard!
Quote by JustRooster
Les Pauls are always cooler without the pickguard!

Wrong.

LPs should always have a pickguard. Get a PRS if you want that other look.
The Minister of Rock 'n' Roll has spoken.

(HNGD OP btw, not bad otherwise, 8/10)
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
Wrong.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Oh god, what have I started again.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Oh god, what have I started again.

the age old Pickguard Loyalists v. Dissidents war
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here