Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for work right now and some of these jobs are messed up. One is taking calls from people who want to cancel their service and instead trying to sell them other products. The description made it very clear you want to not let them cancel and instead have them switch to some other thing.

Another one was selling some local marketing app thing over the phone and the reviews I read on glassdoor were making it look like a complete scam, as the service is pretty useless and you're not supposed to give them all the details, just make the sale happen.

I couldn't do these jobs
Depends on the pay.

I'll shit on my ethics for money.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

My past two jobs and my current job have all conflicted with some part of my moral code. But I did them to the best of my ability because I knew going in that they were temporary, they were really easy, they look good on my resume, I like being the best at whatever I do, and I like money.

I won't lie though, one job in particular affected me a lot (not in an ethics way in a personal way) and I didn't realize it until after I left. I would definitely not work there again.

However, I would not take any of the jobs you listed because they would make me hate myself.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Dec 9, 2014,
not severely. mine sorta does because i feel awful about charging some of these prices and some of the policies i gotta enforce but i can deal with all that of course. anything beyond that though i don't think i'd do unless it was really to survive or really necessary for something else.

it's sort of weird though because in a sense this is selfishly motivated because the job will just go to someone else anyway and other people will be impacted the same regardless. it's really just to keep your conscience clear but that should generally be important anyway.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
not unless i absolutely needed some kind of money immediately, i'd be ashamed of doing such a job

actually i'd probably fall into depression over it and waste all the money on alcohol, so probably not
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Dec 9, 2014,
Unethical is basically my career in a nutshell. Hence why I'm moving on after 7 years.

List of things I've had to do in my career:

-Forge complex reports for clients
-Screen out people of certain backgrounds
-Lie on a daily basis to subordinates and clients
-Promise salary increases to staff when no salary increase is possible
-Lie (on an almost daily basis) to our company president (as per the CEO)
-Withhold payment with no legal basis to do so

I'd put worse things in there but I'd rather not say, even in the pit. Yes I'm a terrible human. And just in case anyone is wondering; I work for a large faceless corporation and I am compensated well for my deeds.
Depends on how much I get paid and how ethically questionable it is for me.

What you're saying OP I could totally do, nbd.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It'd have to pretty bad to clash with my ethics, like genocidal drug lord level bad.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
There's not many things that I would find offensive enough to not do. Abortion would be one thing I wouldn't make money from even though I'm pro choice. Stuff that smells bad with low pay I wouldn't do.
Your traveling through another dimension
A dimension not Only of sight and sound but of mind
A wondrous journey
Who's boundaries are that of Imagination
And limits that of infinity
There's a sign post up ahead
Next stop the twilight zone
Quote by badfish_lewis
Unethical is basically my career in a nutshell. Hence why I'm moving on after 7 years.

I'd put worse things in there but I'd rather not say, even in the pit. Yes I'm a terrible human. And just in case anyone is wondering; I work for a large faceless corporation and I am compensated well for my deeds.

Way to talk about this stuff on a public forum during company work hours, broshizzle

Anyway yeah I probably would, but not for the examples in the OP because I'd be shit at trying to sell people things
It depends on the nature of the work, and how it was phrased to me and how aware of it I was.

Like I'd gladly take a job working on defense contracts. But if I found out I was developing nerve agents or chemical weapons I'd probably feel like a bit of a shitty person.

Stuff like door to door sales I wouldn't do though. It annoys the **** out of me and wastes my time when a door to door salesman makes me get up and answer the door, so I wouldn't inflict that on anyone else.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
It depends on the nature of the work, and how it was phrased to me and how aware of it I was.

Like I'd gladly take a job working on defense contracts. But if I found out I was developing nerve agents or chemical weapons I'd probably feel like a bit of a shitty person.

Stuff like door to door sales I wouldn't do though. It annoys the **** out of me and wastes my time when a door to door salesman makes me get up and answer the door, so I wouldn't inflict that on anyone else.

So you'd feel a bit shitty about making chemical weapons but knocking on people's doors is a step too far?
Quote by So-Cal
So you'd feel a bit shitty about making chemical weapons but knocking on people's doors is a step too far?

Well given that chemical weapons are illegal then I doubt I'd be told to make them.

But yeah, I'd work for a defense contractor.

But I wouldn't do door-to-door sales.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Do you happen to be applying for Comcast? I swear that is all they do.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Well given that chemical weapons are illegal then I doubt I'd be told to make them.

hahaha
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by badfish_lewis

are, are you doug ford
I would have a strong opposition against call center work.

I also have a friend in a high position at ***, and what badfish_lewis said, pretty much sums up the workplace as well.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 9, 2014,
I most likely wouldn't. I could never work in any field of business for that reason. I feel like most aspects of business, especially for larger companies, are pretty sleazy.

I feel like I'm going into a field where I'm doing stuff that's pretty ethical. I just wanna help people really.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by Baby Joel
nope

nope because capitalism is against my ethics and I will never work to fund capitalism.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by EndTheRapture51

But yeah, I'd work for a defense contractor.

But I wouldn't do door-to-door sales.

"I would inadvertently get thousands of people killed but I couldn't sell stuff door to door because it goes against my morals" - (ETR, 2014)
Quote by Thrashtastic15

are, are you doug ford

No comment. On a totally unrelated matter:
Rob Ford bobble head dolls are almost sold out, get yours now while supplies last.
I was hired at a pharmaceutical claims job for Catamaran in Oregon last year for $16.00/hr. The job description and interview made it seem as if I would be offering people workable payment installations that fit their weekly income. I quit after the first day when I realized the job was nothing more than to battle every single claim for prior authorization so that folks couldn't have maximum coverage for their prescriptions. No thanks. Keep your shit-grin glad-handing antics away from me.

I later learned that they were a "churn-n-burn" company that gives the prospect of working the ladder to new employees in the position I applied for, only to let them go after 6-8 months to hire someone else, for any number of reasons that corporate can come up with. Life is truly too short for that bullshit.

Edit: Come to think of it... no wonder they paid $16.00/hr for such a job. You're not there for the long run at all. Fuckin' devils.
Last edited by Zaphikh at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by stefan_771
A job's a job so yes, I would.

Y'know what? That mentality is cute until something devastating happens to your or a loved one only because someone was simply "following orders" chasing a carrot at the end of a rod.
Quote by zackk
Do you happen to be applying for Comcast? I swear that is all they do.

You beat me to it!
ಥ_ಥ
I've never had the misfortune of entering a paid service where I had to do things I disagreed with. You have my sympathies. And my laughter. And my sword. And my axe. And my gla..... no, not my glass.
Quote by Trowzaa
Depends on the pay.

I'll shit on my ethics for money.

pretty much
Yes. My inner sociopath wants the music thing to flop so I can start gun/diamond running in some war-torn country.

That's where all the real living is.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
i don't support capitalism so all jobs that pay money are against my ethics
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

not everything that makes money necessarily benefits from capitalism. Unless of course you want to go to the extreme and completely remove yourself from the economy because even owning money would make you a capitalistic pig
everyone should stop using money and go back to using photosynthesis
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
everyone should stop using money and go back to using photosynthesis

+1
Quote by theogonia777

Yeah, I'm a massive hypocrite as well. I think capitalism sucks but anyone who knows me IRL would see I'm a great consumer.

SpongeBob and theogonia777 have the right idea.
Page 1 of 2