Guided by Voices and The Hated! Two completely different bands, but from the same era and with the same nice, harsh lo-fi sound. Love it.

So - hello everyone! I'm getting rid of my Caparison Dellinger 2 that I've had for the last couple of years (and loved), as I have since long moved on from metal and, having two active EMGs in it, that guitar deserves someone who plays what it's best at.

Nowadays, I play mostly in a band inspired by emo and punk. What we're going for, is a sound resemblant to bands like The Hated, Guided by Voices, Fugazi, Rites of Spring, Moss Icon... You know the drill; old school punk.

I kind decided to go for the Gibson SG. An allround guitar that I know is good for rock; slight tonal differences won't matter that much as we'll probably **** it up with our lo-fi recording process anyway However, I need your help to choose WHICH of all the 100 different Gibsons to choose. This is what I'm looking at now:

Budget: around 1000€/1200$.

- Getting a new 2014 Special (standard is a bit too pricey here in Sweden)
- Getting a used 2010+ Standard for the same price as the special
- Looking a bit more to find one of the 61' reissues (seen a couple used here).

Also very grateful to all kinds of tips regarding SGs, what humbuckers to go for, which production year suits my needs better etc.

Thanks a lot UG! You've always been a great help

Peter
It will work just fine. The 2014 SG special has pretty crap HB's in it, so I'd deff set some money to the side to get at least a new bridge pickup

The standard would be my choice, but you still may want a different bridge pickup
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Do you for sure want a Gibson SG? There might be a few pther options out there that are different, but could still work. Something like:
A new PRS S2 Mira, or used USA PRS Mira (iirc, they're supposed to be PRS' take on an SG),
Yamaha SG3000,
Reverend Sensei

Just giving you a couple more ideas. I haven't owned any of them, or have really played then too extensively, but they would be some SG alternatives to look at, if you want.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Dec 9, 2014,
Keep an eye out for new old stock models (or last year's models once the current models come in). You can often get a good deal and it might bring a standard (new, from a shop) under your budget if you're lucky.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Keep an eye out for new old stock models (or last year's models once the current models come in). You can often get a good deal and it might bring a standard (new, from a shop) under your budget if you're lucky.

+1

GC closed out the 2013 Standard for $900 when the 2014s came in.
^ Yeah. I got my 2012 standard for £600 in an after-christmas sale. It might have been when they were using that laminated rosewood, so that also might have explained how cheap it was.

But yeah that reminds me, it's close enough to christmas that it might be worth waiting until after it in case stores have january sales.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks a lot for the inputs guys! Looking in shops in January sounds like a great idea - once they get the 2015 models in, the 2014 Standard could perhaps drop down to my price range. Even though I've always bought gear used to get more value for the money.

As for the Standard and Special, what are the major differences?

Actually, just found this one: http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Fin_Gibson_SG_57726559.htm?ca=12&w=3

Swedish ad, but it's a Standard 2013, for about 600€ (800$). What do you guys have to say about this model? I tried both the version with the silver'y humbuckers and the normal black ones with dots in a music store, but can't quite remember the difference. Maybe it was just the looks?
Last edited by Panikak at Dec 9, 2014,
^ I haven't tried it, but I think the 2013 standard has classic 57 pickups. A lot of people think they're gibson's nicest pickups.

I'd probably want better pics to be sure it's legit. I don't see anything obvious that rings any warning bells (though I'm no Gibson or SG expert, so don't quote me), but I'd want better, more close-up pics all the same.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AWACS

Reverend Sensei

You're stealing my lines!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by AWACS
Do you for sure want a Gibson SG? There might be a few pther options out there that are different, but could still work. Something like:
A new PRS S2 Mira, or used USA PRS Mira (iirc, they're supposed to be PRS' take on an SG),
Yamaha SG3000,
Reverend Sensei

Just giving you a couple more ideas. I haven't owned any of them, or have really played then too extensively, but they would be some SG alternatives to look at, if you want.

PRS is a bit bourgeois for punk don't you think?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Eh, I use one
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hand in your union card at the door on your way out.

Edit: Unless you stole it, of course.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Hand in your union card at the door on your way out.

Hey I like nice guitars, you gonna blame a man if he drives a Ferarri?

When I bought it I basically stole it from the shop
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I am if he takes it to a ute muster.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I know one of the pop-punk guitarists used a PRS for a while. It just looked wrong, like a stock Lexus sedan in the Dakar race...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Actually tried some PRS and kinda liked them, so no hate But ain't nothing like a SG. Guess I've been looking at too many old Fugazi live videos...

Regarding the ad - would of course try the guitar before I buy it, but it sounds great with the '57 humbuckers!

Thanks a lot again for your help!
Quote by Panikak
Actually tried some PRS and kinda liked them, so no hate But ain't nothing like a SG. Guess I've been looking at too many old Fugazi live videos...

Regarding the ad - would of course try the guitar before I buy it, but it sounds great with the '57 humbuckers!

Thanks a lot again for your help!

SG's are great guitars, I have been using one for 5 years and I really like it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Panikak

Saw this and i was going to point you straight to this ad, saw it couple of days ago and almost went for it myself. SG's pop up on Blocket pretty regularly assuming you're in the stockholm area. Otherwise 4Sound did a good discount on 2013 LP Standards if i remember rightly so they should do discounts if they have extra stock.

otherwise look at thomann:

http://www.thomann.de/se/gibson_sg_standard_2014_hc.htm

free delivery to sweden, and only just over 10,000 sek
Quote by jecooper86
Saw this and i was going to point you straight to this ad, saw it couple of days ago and almost went for it myself. SG's pop up on Blocket pretty regularly assuming you're in the stockholm area. Otherwise 4Sound did a good discount on 2013 LP Standards if i remember rightly so they should do discounts if they have extra stock.

otherwise look at thomann:

http://www.thomann.de/se/gibson_sg_standard_2014_hc.htm

free delivery to sweden, and only just over 10,000 sek

Mailed and it was sold yesterday, unfortunately! But yeah, I've seen plenty of them just over the last month, so shouldn't be that hard to get hold of.
Quote by Cathbard

Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols used a Les Paul custom, that was pretty flash for the70's!!
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Well, I suppose if you were gonna deface the PRS with dodgey stickers like Jonesy did to his LP you'd probably get away with it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hey Cath, take it easy. I was just trying to give the guy some options, sheesh

And besides, wouldn't it be great to punk up a guitar thats never really used for punk? ...or that might just be me.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I'm just ****ing around, man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, then...what about scouring eBay for one of the entry-level Parkers?

Musicians friend used to carry an SG Classic model a handful of years ago which had P90's in it. If you can find one of those used (they were a couple hundred bucks cheaper than a standard), I think that'd sound pretty cool for punk. P90's are hummy and have a nice snarl to them.

FWIW, I second the watch the market for the next month or so idea. I picked up an SG Standard (I think a 2012, it had one of those baked maple fretboards, which is fine, btw) during this time of year and I know I didn't pay 900 for it.
I use P90's for punk. They're great.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ippon
+1

GC closed out the 2013 Standard for $900 when the 2014s came in.

The 2014's are going for around that price in my area (New Jersey). Just as a heads up.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify