Relicing is dumb.
59 68%
Relicing looks great!
16 18%
I'm unsure.
12 14%
Voters: 87.
Page 1 of 4
Wanted to make this thread out of curiosity. I just finished applying paint to a project I'm doing, and I had the thought to relic it, as I like the look. As a guitarist is one to do, I've shown photos to friends and asked for input.

I've found that people have some really deep set opinions about relicing.

Do you dig it, do you not, and why?

EDIT: The biggest input I've seen is that it's "fake." That you should let the guitar relic naturally over time to get the real 'mojo' out of it.

Since most guitars now use Poly coats that don't relic, does that change your opinion?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 9, 2014,
Relic'ing looks fine and you can do whatever you want to your own guitar.

So start relic'ing that Daphne blue.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
No because
Quote by JustRooster

you should let the guitar relic naturally over time to get the real 'mojo' out of it.

This.

It makes me cringe when I see a guitar advertised as 'relic'd' on ebay when clearly the guitar was hit with a hammer in a few random places, and the back of the neck has been attacked with some steel wool. I don't even get how 'relicing' is even a selling point. If I know anything about selling guitars, its that the better condition they're in, the higher their value. With that in mind, what sense does it make to smash the guitar up and expect people to pay more for it?

Even if the relicing is real, if you bought the guitar used as a relic, so the relicing wasn't done by you, what value does that relicing have to you (the buyer)? What does it say about the number of gigs you've done with that guitar? None, it defeats the point of the guitar being relic'd in the first place. It may as well be a fake relic.
Since most guitars now use Poly coats that don't relic, does that change your opinion?

no.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 9, 2014,
I like it when done tastefully. There can be the point of overkill. As far as how one feels/sounds I guess it's just mental for me in particular. I've come to the point after playing so long that a guitar smothered in paint and clear coat is just boring to me. My favorite guitar out of all I have is a 50's relic strat...sounds great. Whether that's because of a lack of paint and a thin nitro coating is debatable, but I feel more connected to it because of those points when I'm in the zone playing. Even my main guitar now in my band (the ESP in my sig) has a real thin flat finish that will relic nicely.

I guess my point is I prefer the way a relic feels overall. It is more like those "designer worn out jeans" they get heck over but sometimes those just feel better than being stuffed up in a shiny tuxedo Poly suit.
While I agree that you can do what you want to your instrument, why not just use the damn thing and let natural wear happen? Got to BS some one about a story that didn't happen? Want people to think your MIC fender is a real 1956 "cause it sure looks like it".

The worst is people who do a really bad job that looks completely unnatural.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I like it, can even totally dig it, but only when done nicely, which is is pretty uncommon. Poly coats are pretty strong so I dont think we will be seeing many natural relics of todays instruments in the next 20+ years.
Quote by Robbgnarly
While I agree that you can do what you want to your instrument, why not just use the damn thing and let natural wear happen? Got to BS some one about a story that didn't happen? Want people to think your MIC fender is a real 1956 "cause it sure looks like it".

Because some people want the look without having to be geriatric waiting for the thing to yellow and check

Some people want the look without treating a guitar like shit for 20 years too. Its just a look. Its not about how it got there.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Because some people want the look without having to be geriatric waiting for the thing to yellow and check

Some people want the look without treating a guitar like shit for 20 years too. Its just a look. Its not about how it got there.

That is totally gay
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
That is totally gay

I guess so.

Not as gay as spending 5 figures for the real deal.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I don't like them. Not because I think it's fake or anything like that, I just generally prefer guitars not to have tons of dings etc. on them.

But that's just my guitars. Everyone else can do what they like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I prefer it. I own a Fender RoadWorn Tele and I relic'd my own strat. It wasnt necessarily for the look but yes with the new Poly coat these things dont relic and I love a good challenge/project
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by Robbgnarly

You're assuming the point of it is to make people think it's old. I don't think that's the goal.

Quote by Tony Done
Dumb is the kindest thing I'd call it, but it's your guitar. I'm anti because I think it reflects a state of mind with which I don't want to be associated. I feel the same way about bling, carved tops and fancy timber.

Whoa, someone's got some opinions.
Quote by Robbgnarly

I don't know why people make the assumption that guitarists who play relics are trying to deceive people in some way or another - Never been able to see any justification for it. Every single person I've ever met who played a relic'd guitar said, straight off the bat, "it's a relic".

I'm pretty indifferent about relics, personally. Sure, they are superficial, but so is gold hardware, binding, etc. At least there's a case for relic necks actually making the guitar feel different to play - Good relics tend to have the finish of the neck sanded down in all the right places, where your hand rubs against the neck the most, preventing them from feeling sticky, and I can certainly see how this would be desirable over a hi-gloss poly finish on a neck which i'd probably end up getting frustrated with and sanding down eventually anyway.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I guess so.

Not as gay as spending 5 figures for the real deal.

But if it is naturally wore, then you have owned it for 20+ years also so I doubt it cost you 5 figures
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
But if it is naturally wore, then you have owned it for 20+ years also so I doubt it cost you 5 figures

Okay gramps. Ill buy some guitar i dont know ill want to have for the next 20 years just so you can get your jollies off about getting wear the right way. Even though i might not like the wear and i can just choose a pre worn one thats worn in a way i like.

If i wanted an old 50s strat or LP right now you bet id be paying that much. Unless you want to make me a time machine. Plus nobody wants a road worn 2015 Gibson. Heck nobody wants a new 2015 one!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
You're assuming the point of it is to make people think it's old. I don't think that's the goal.

Then why the hell would you want to make it look old and beat-up
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
I don't like them. Not because I think it's fake or anything like that, I just generally prefer guitars not to have tons of dings etc. on them.

But that's just my guitars. Everyone else can do what they like.

Same. TBH, I'd refinish a "reliced" guitar if somebody gave me one, no matter how authentic-looking it is.
Quote by Robbgnarly

It's more about the feel, really. Ever play a road worn?
Quote by Robbgnarly

Why do people buy pretorn jeans?

Cause it looks cool to them
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Heck why do people even want guitars with colors, fancy plastic and pleasing shapes? Its about the sounds anyway.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Okay gramps. Ill buy some guitar i dont know ill want to have for the next 20 years just so you can get your jollies off about getting wear the right way. Even though i might not like the wear and i can just choose a pre worn one thats worn in a way i like.

If i wanted an old 50s strat or LP right now you bet id be paying that much. Unless you want to make me a time machine. Plus nobody wants a road worn 2015 Gibson. Heck nobody wants a new 2015 one!

Oh man, I'll take one!

I'm in the "no" camp on relic'd guitars, but for the same reason I'm in the "no" camp for flourescent pink Ibanez RG's: not the look I'm into. But to each his own!
Neon pink Ibanez guitars are the best you monster.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
This has been a fun discussion while I wait for coats to dry and to decide what to do. EG, you guys are the best.
I will never buy a relic'd guitar. Why? Because I want the scars and discoloration to be a story I can tell, rather than just "The custom shop did that".

I have an '09 LP Studio in Alpine white that has already aged significantly on the neck and where my picking arm rests. Also the finish in general has become slightly yellowed. A lot of people that don't play guitars tell me I should restore it, but that's because they don't understand. A guitar that ages under your own playing causes a connection between you and it. Can you tell the difference between two people's relic'd guitars? Answer is no, because when they relic them they can't relic them in the exact places that the specific owner is going to cause distress. Allowing it to age on its own makes it unique to you.
Last edited by Explorer91 at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
The biggest input I've seen is that it's "fake." That you should let the guitar relic naturally over time to get the real 'mojo' out of it.

That's kinda my take on it. I don't care for most artificially aged ANYTHING.

THEN YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!

I'm a clumsy mofo at tomes, so I have successfully dinged a few Poly coats in my day. My Time Capsule Caddy has some chipping on the headstock from when I almost went through a fence with it. My Reverend Roundhouse took a shot from a falling hammer.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
With modern finishes you pretty much have to induce wear to get that old roadworn look. "Let it relic naturally" is impractical if it's going to take 30 years of hard gigging to wear through the poly coat. It's not 1956 any more.

People who get mad about relicing are being silly and should find something legitimate to whine about. There are plenty of stupid looking guitar finishes out there, I don't see why it's so fashionable to complain about this one beyond TGP-style "mojo" fetish.
^ I don't much care, but it is a little annoying if a guitar I like is only available reliced. That happened me with my Edwards LP, there was a better one with antiquities (rather than JB/'59) but it was reliced (and not an amazing relic job either).

If there's the option of relic or not in the same model, I have no problem.

Quote by Ippon
Same. TBH, I'd refinish a "reliced" guitar if somebody gave me one, no matter how authentic-looking it is.

LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I don't much care, but it is a little annoying if a guitar I like is only available reliced. That happened me with my Edwards LP, there was a better one with antiquities (rather than JB/'59) but it was reliced (and not an amazing relic job either)

Fair, but I suspect you'd have the same reaction if it were only available in avocado green velvet finish instead. That's totally reasonable, you just dislike relics and would prefer not to have one. Very different than some posts in here where you'd think a relic'd guitar kicked their dog. People treat relic'ing like it's some sort of crime against humanity instead of just a guitar finish they don't like.
I'm going to have to say no as well. Although the only time I would buy a relic'd guitar is if it was a signature model or something or I was in a tribute band and wanted to look like the guitarist I was covering. A replica of SRV's Number One would probably be the only relic'd guitar I would ever buy.
When ever I see someone relic a nice guitar it hurts my soul. Just not my style, I like my guitars looking nice, but who am I to tell anyone what to do with their gear. I don't like them, but hey it's not my guitar.
Quote by JustRooster
Your soul? Wow.

Don't get your fedora in a twist.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't mind people having relics. I wouldn't call them dumb, but the act of it is dumb in a way to me personally.

It's ridiculous that people are paying more for an instrument that is in literal worse shape when you can usually get one in perfect shape. And also the fact that the manufacturer expects people to pay more for an instrument that once looked perfect, but someone took time to distress unnaturally. I understand that the person that takes the time to do the relicing has to get paid, but the amount relics are marked up from their non relic'd counterparts (if they have any) these days is straight up ******ed.

People can say "Oh but people buy distressed jeans, etc" Yes, but those are just JEANS. They are not a $5000+ instrument that was handcrafted and then someone decided to take a dull flathead screwdriver to the finish and mark it up $2500 or more. An instrument can last a hundred years or more, and has a different value to it because so. Who the hell's going to want a 200 year old pair of jeans?

I'm just saying that that is how I look at it and why I'll never buy one. If you have money to throw around and don't mind the concept, then more power to you.
i've always tried to keep my guitars in as good a shape as I can. but as the saying goes "shit happens" every dent and ding should have a story behind it and it should be your story. yes I know many buy used guitars and can't account for every ding. not the point though. guitars like SRV main axe or Rory Gallaghers strat have a ton of stories to go with the damage. countless shows and recording sessions. now to me that is what makes them cool. paying for someone (no matter how professional) to bang up your guitar serves no purpose to me. worse yet is something like the road worn series from fender. ever look at a bunch together they all look exactly the same which smacks of a cheap fakeness rather than cool.

to each his own but personally I'd rather come by it honestly. to those who say well I might not have a guitar very long. some day you'll find a guitar that you stick with and make those stories with. to me it's the stories that make the guitar "cool" not the damaged look itself.
You have to have real wear to prove youre a real musician. None of that phony vain shit.

Even though rock guitar is super vain as shit to begin with
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Page 1 of 4