Thoughts? Anyone played one? Heard tons of soundclips etc, but haven't met anyone who has actually played one. MC? Anyone?
1 hour seems to be not enough time to really explore the whole thing. I am in Canada, so availability is extremely limited. Did it sound much different from the VH4? To my ears it seemed more modern. Different from the VH4. Agree or disagree?
If I were to get rid of the VH4 or Herbert, I'd definitely get the Hagen. For what they deliver, it's down to preference. I find it hard to dial in the Herbert just right unlike the VH4, in my experience.

Check out these vids:
Definitely different from the VH4.
Much dryer, more brutal, more angry.

I myself don't like either much.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

Sounds like you haven't played one. The VH4 is without a doubt drier and more aggressive. The Hagen sounds like a mushy mess in comparison, especially with down tuned or seven/eight string guitars. Had one for over a year and wound up having to dump it at a huge loss just to get rid of it, and I bought it used for a solid price. Definitely the only Diezel I've owned/played that wouldn't want to own (again). Pretty much everyone else I've spoken with who has had multiple Diezels agrees that the Hagen isn't up to par.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun amp, just not worth the price and it pales in comparison to the VH4 or even Herbert. Super compressed and easy to play. Leads are great; always smooth able to cut in a band mix. But the clean channel is way too dark to even be useable. Channel two (crunch) is a mess and doesn't really crunch since there's no high mid/treble kerrang. Channel three is solid enough, but still too wooly and dark. Four is actually slightly better than the VH4's channel four, IMO. Less compressed, and the dark voicing really complements the compression for leads. Overall it's just about useless for modern metal rhythms though, at least the tight, quick attack type tone that everyone seems to be going for these days.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Spambot_2

I don't get what that meant.

Brendan.Clace, you need to audition it. For example, MC likes the Herbert and I find it just meh; so, for me, it's VH4, Hagen, Einstein, Herbert. Play it through the cab you already have or plan to get.
Quote by mmolteratx
Sounds like you haven't played one. The VH4 is without a doubt drier and more aggressive. The Hagen sounds like a mushy mess in comparison, especially with down tuned or seven/eight string guitars. Had one for over a year and wound up having to dump it at a huge loss just to get rid of it, and I bought it used for a solid price.
Definitely the only Diezel I've owned/played that wouldn't want to own (again). Pretty much everyone else I've spoken with who has had multiple Diezels agrees that the Hagen isn't up to par.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun amp, just not worth the price and it pales in comparison to the VH4 or even Herbert. Super compressed and easy to play. Leads are great; always smooth able to cut in a band mix. But the clean channel is way too dark to even be useable. Channel two (crunch) is a mess and doesn't really crunch since there's no high mid/treble kerrang. Channel three is solid enough, but still too wooly and dark. Four is actually slightly better than the VH4's channel four, IMO. Less compressed, and the dark voicing really complements the compression for leads.
Overall it's just about useless for modern metal rhythms though, at least the tight, quick attack type tone that everyone seems to be going for these days.

Doh!

I was able to dial it really nice and liked it.
The Herbert has the cleans I dream of. Maybe I'm just a closet Herbert-ophile..... especially for rhythm parts. Overall may end up being a better studio amp.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by Ippon
Doh!

I was able to dial it really nice and liked it.

Meh. I'm probably just still mad at how much money I lost with that amp... Sold it for $2200 shipped, then it developed problems with the MIDI switcher and I had to spend another $200 on the repairs. Stupid piece of crap.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Meh. I'm probably just still mad at how much money I lost with that amp... Sold it for $2200 shipped, then it developed problems with the MIDI switcher and I had to spend another $200 on the repairs. Stupid piece of crap.

I was pissed off for about a week when it sold because you offered it for that fire sale price and I was broke then.
Quote by mmolteratx
The VH4 is without a doubt drier and more aggressive. The Hagen sounds like a mushy mess in comparison, especially with down tuned or seven/eight string guitars.
Not really the impression I had.

I actually don't find the VH4 much aggressive at all y' know.
Also I may have dialed in the hagen to sound pretty dry, with little gain and little bass, but it definitely seemed able to sound more gritty.

The VH4 on the other hand had this juice into its sound, fairly organic and smooth even when playing high gain stuff on ch3.
Quote by Ippon
I don't get what that meant.
Not much bass extension, not much high harmonics.
Like when you apply little gain on an amp, though that happens even when you apply more gain.
Quote by Ippon
Brendan.Clace, you need to audition it. For example, MC likes the Herbert and I find it just meh; so, for me, it's VH4, Hagen, Einstein, Herbert. Play it through the cab you already have or plan to get.
Yeah, I greatly second this.

To add to that I really don't like any, so you may just decide it's the best amp you've played as much as you may decide it's not the amp for you
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.