Speakon Outputs on Amps: All 1/4" Combos?

For all of the amps that have a speakon output for speakers, are of the the jacks quarter inch/speakon combination connectors, or are there some where you can't plug in a quarter inch jack?
No, speakons and 1/4 phone jacks aren't actually the same size. They're close, but not quite.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
No, speakons and 1/4 phone jacks aren't actually the same size. They're close, but not quite.

I'm referring to the speakon combo connectors that you can fit both speakon and 1/4" cables into. As seen on the Neutrik website, they are "2 pole combination of speakON socket and 1/4" jack receptacle"

An example on an amp is the Little Mark III Head. The description in the manual under OUTPUTS says "SPEAKER OUT speakon/1/4” combo, 1/4”"

I'm just wondering if all amps that have speakon connectors have these hybrid/combo type connectors.

Thanks
Somebody made a proprietary speaker connector when 1/4" jacks have worked for half a century?

That's some Apple bullshit.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^ nah for the higher wattage in bass amps they can be useful. i see them a lot on bass amps. very rarely on guitar amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't think I've ever seen speakons on a guitar amp. Well, it's overkill isn't it? Bass amps are a different story because they are often as powerful as the PA.
Bubbs, speakons are for high current applications like PA's and bass amps. Places where using the wrong cable can be disastrous, phono outputs are ill advised. Speakon would actually be a good idea on tube amps but it's not done because guitarists are crazy conservative and would say things like, "1/4" jacks have worked for half a century."

To answer your question, TS - no, not all speakons will take a phono plug.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I don't think I've ever seen speakons on a guitar amp. Well, it's overkill isn't it? Bass amps are a different story because they are often as powerful as the PA.
Bubbs, speakons are for high current applications like PA's and bass amps. Places where using the wrong cable can be disastrous, phono outputs are ill advised. Speakon would actually be a good idea on tube amps but it's not done because guitarists are crazy conservative and would say things like, "1/4" jacks have worked for half a century."

Thank you Sir. I thought not.

In comparison to my above Mark bass example. I found the Markbass Bass Multiamp S and in the manual it doesn't specify that the connector is for both speakon cables and 1/4" in comparison to their other amps that do. I wonder why they choose to use some with the hybrids and some with not?
No idea. I'd guess it's got more to do with what was available from their supplier at the time, rather than any functional reasons. Or it could simply be an oversight in the manual.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
No idea. I'd guess it's got more to do with what was available from their supplier at the time, rather than any functional reasons. Or it could simply be an oversight in the manual.

Probably a little bit of both.
Quote by Cathbard

yeah. I've also heard (hearsay) that the high wattages in bass amps can actually produce enough air pressure to blow the regular 1/4" jacks out of the socket- whereas speakons are a locking connection.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think it has more to do with the way the wires are attached and the contact area of the connections. Speakons aren't soldered and are far more substantial. They'll take far more heat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That may well be so

I've heard a guy on another forum claim that he's seen regular 1/4" jacks blow out because of the extra power of bass amps. But As I said, it's hearsay on my part.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah. I've also heard (hearsay) that the high wattages in bass amps can actually produce enough air pressure to blow the regular 1/4" jacks out of the socket- whereas speakons are a locking connection.

DAVE Mc.

I think that's right on.

I emailed Mark Bass:

"Are the speakon jacks on the SD 1200 Head just a speakon connectors, or are they speakon & quarter inch hybrid connectors? If hybrid, do all of your amps have hybrid speakon connectors?"

This was their reply:

"The SD 1200 doesn’t feature the Speakon Combo connectors for its speaker outputs, they are just speakon as they are better to handle its very high-power.

Other Markbass heads with lower power (as example Little Mark Tube, Little Mark, TTE500 and 800W version of these amps feat the Speakon Combo."
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?