I guess i need to upgrade from recording with my cellphone..What is something cheap i can get that is good for home recording??I saw a Shure SM58 mic and a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Compact USB Audio Interface listed earlier in a post.Is this all i need besides my home computer to record at home with my guitar?? Thanks
Plenty of ram, separate drive for your music files, a good compatible DAW software depending on your system and OS.

Actually, iphone recordings with garageband can turn out pretty awesome. Don't rule it out if you want quality results on a very limited budget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogKvZr5Gw-k
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I started (as many have) with Audacity. No. It's not great, but it's a good introduction to DAW's, especially because certain things you find frustrating will be eliminated as soon as you upgrade. It's simple and can run on any pc.

That being said, I switched to MIXCRAFT years back, and have kept up with more recent versions and I really like it. It works great for a guy like me, who records one instrument at a time, but i wouldn't advise it for a Full band setting.

As far as Mic's and input devices, your not going to be disappointed with an SM58. I use one a lot, and if I had to use only one Mic, that would probably be the guy.

I also have a small M-Audio USB box that has an Instrument Line in and an XLR line in. Perfect for a quick easy set up, especially if your on the go. It's not fancy, but it gets the work done and would be perfect as a first step for anyone looking to make a small investment (New i think ~ $100?)
I 2nd that vote on Audacity. It's free and that's a price you can't beat. If someone is just doing a track at a time there is nothing wrong with Audacity. There are almost 100 free VST items you also can upload at the Audacity site and while these VSTs are a little puzzling sometimes with crappy interfaces, they do work for simple reverb, delay, compression etc. Audacity is owned by Sony Sound Frorge who bought the free shareware a few years back and incorporated a lot of Audacity features into Sony Sound Forge but it is still a free standalone software that anyone can download. Just Google Audacity. In the past I have edited many audio projects with Audacity with very nice results.
Quote by Rickholly74
...there is nothing wrong with Audacity.

Except destructive editing. That alone makes it worthless for anything other than the most basic of editing.

A better idea is to download the REAPER trial. It's uncrippled and once you wait past the 5sec nag screen it never actually prevents you from using it. It's also cheap if you later decide you do like it and want to purchase it fully.
Hey, If you want cheap. Go with a Rock band mic. I recorded an instrumental of "Sugar Were going down" by Fall Out Boy by recording each instrument separately. You can here a short sample of the recording here: https://soundcloud.com/fearlesswestand/sugar-were-going-down-fall-out-boy
If you want to here only the guitar, I can mute all the other instruments out and give you another link.
Last edited by FineVisionz at Dec 12, 2014,
Quote by Kapkrusdader
I guess i need to upgrade from recording with my cellphone..What is something cheap i can get that is good for home recording??I saw a Shure SM58 mic and a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Compact USB Audio Interface listed earlier in a post.Is this all i need besides my home computer to record at home with my guitar?? Thanks

SM57 is probably a better option because it is the same version of the capsule but geared for instruments. It doesn't mean that you can't record vox with it but it usually sounds a bit better on guitar. There are also different guitar mics that are around the same price that can do just as well, the likes of Audix, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sennheiser, etc.
You can get a lot accomplished with that Focusrite and a decent mic.

I agree with the recommendation for an SM57. Probably one of the best utility mic's out there and you can use it on pretty much anything and expect good results. Start small and build your collection of gear. Spending more time learning techniques with a few small pieces of equipment will give you better results than dropping a ton of cash.