We should have one thread for all alternate tunings. It could be stickied and everything. That way there could be all the information people need and it's right there. There would be advice on playing and stuff like that.

It would be especially useful for people that play that Andy McKee sort of percussive acoustic thing and people that play slide.

The basic variations of standard tuning, such as drop D and equal down tuning like drop C, D standard, Eb standard, etc are all pretty much the same as playing in standard or are common enough that they really don't need to be included here.

So here are some ideas:

List of tunings:

-Open triad chord tuning (Open G, A, C, D, E)
-Open extended tunings (6th, 7th, 9th, etc)
-Modal tunings (DADGAD, etc)
-Regular tunings (4ths, 5ths, 3rds)
-Imitative tunings (lute tuning, etc)
-Novelty tunings (Iris tuning, ostrich, etc)
-Other tunings (new standard, double drop D, etc)

Lap steel tunings could also be included, though they almost all fit into the open major and extended tunings categories (C6, E7, E9, E13, B11, etc).

For all the tunings there could be different variations (such as GBDGBD vs DGDGBD for open G), recommended string gauges, list of songs/artists that use those tunings, etc.

Thoughts? Would people actually contribute or will it basically turn into me blogging about tunings that nobody will ever use?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
It's a good idea, and I suggest that chord shapes are added for the tunings.

One more for your list that I have used to get close voicing chords (like piano chord clusters) ...

E A D G Bb Db. (E in bass, Db in treble)

E.g.
x
x

or

x
x

cheers, Jerry
So I'm guessing we're not counting tunings that guitarists create for just songs (e.g. the "Iris" tuning and the "Neon" tuning)?
Not a terrible idea... but certainly not something that belongs in this forum; it's really not related to technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by chrismendiola
So I'm guessing we're not counting tunings that guitarists create for just songs (e.g. the "Iris" tuning and the "Neon" tuning)?

There wouldn't be a reason not to mention them, but because they are kind of almost more novelty tunings than anything (same a the Ostrich tuning), one might question if they are worth anything more than a note.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not a terrible idea... but certainly not something that belongs in this forum; it's really not related to technique.

The only other place it can maybe work is in MT, but I think it really is kind of technique related, the same way that questions about making chord shapes and playing scales fits here. At the same time, using alternative tunings is a playing technique in its own right in a way.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.