Hey guys and gals,

I run a Splawn Quickrod (100w jcm type amp) into a laney 2x12 160w cab and/or marshall 4x12 300w cab. The quickrod is a great amp but it's really really loud and when I run it in the 4x12 cab, it gets very boomy past 2 on the master volume. I really love the tone of the band Dream Evil and other power metal types. I play a Les Paul with a high output duncan in the bridge, but I cannot get that super power metal tone, mostly because the Quick Rod doesn't scoop mids quite that well. I've been looking into getting a Peavey 5150 evh, a laney ironheart 60w, Blackstar series one, or an ENGL savage (in my wildest money dreams). Also considering trying out a cheaper guitar with EMG's to get that tone. Any opinions to get that type of sound would be appreciated.

THANKS!
You say it gets boomy? lower the bass, But it could be the G12t75 speakers in the cab. Splawns seem to work great with Greenback or G12h30 type speakers. Have you tried using an EQ in the loop?

Are you in the USA? check out the VHT pitbull, Krank Rev/1980, Mesa Stiletto Used all of thes can be found $400-$1000
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, boomy as in the EQ section seems to be less responsive to adjustments the louder it gets. I am a fan of guitar tone with more preamp distortion and it seems to lose that crispness. I find myself turning the presence to 10 to get enough growl. I've tried keeping the bass down too. I haven't tried it out with greenbacks as much as I'd love to. Maybe I'll bring it into my local GC and try it out on a lower wattage cab. And I feel like an idiot because I just brought home a MXR 10 band to try out and only tried it in front of the amp not in the loop. In front it sounded like it didn't do very much of anything to my sound. Have any recommendations for eq pedals and settings in the loop for that power metal tone?
The MXR 10 band is about the best pedal EQ you will find
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by fraculator
How about the Dan Elec Fish and CHips you ever run that one?

That is actually pretty decent sounding, it is just a plastic case which is not a good idea for most gigging musicians.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Being plastic isn't the worst of it, they're an ergonomic nightmare. I've got one and I was always kicking the sliders at gigs. If the MXR 10 isn't doing what you want, a Fish n Chips is not going to do shit. Try it in the loop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 to trying a different cab. I'd suggest something with V30s or Creambacks, both of which tend to have a more controlled low end. The only brands I know of who specifically use those speakers are ENGL and Orange, but there's likely loads more.
Just try a load out!
Try pulling two tubes too. What are you running in it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The 2x12 - does it get you closer to the sound?

Have you also tried overdrives in front? The tubescreamer has a low end tightening effect, as it enhances the mid and highs, so it gets tighter. I'd suggest try a TS or a clone, I prefer the Voodoolabs Sparkle Drive or Budda Zenman as they have boost as well as overdrive section, so more options.

There are cheaper overdrives so for the test I guess you can pick a Blues driver or a Hardwire overdrive off of GC.
JJ's el34s and 12ax7s. I just brought home a boss super od and a ibanez ts9 they both just added unwanted noise to the front end sound. Maybe I just don't know how to dial them in. And the 2x12 is closer to the sound
I'll echo what most in here have already said.

The Splawns do not get along well with Vintage 30s or variants of it.
The Splawns excel with Splawn Small Block speakers. Then Creambacks, Greenbacks and Scumbacks.
You will be SHOCKED after you put an EQ pedal in the loop. DO it. Do it now.
An EQ pedal up front will do very little.
The Danelectro EQ is nice little piece of kit. The plastic is very thick.
The MXR 10 band will be more rugged but a buddy of mine and I just did a test of these two EQs and both are pretty stellar. We really could not find much tonal advantages of either.
Try running the amps Treble on '0' and your Bass and Presence on 10 o'clock
Gain 2pm
Vol 11am

For your OD pedals. I would put the Gain on '0' and the Level on '10'
You could try messing around with different tubes but honestly, an EQ pedal in the loop should fix all of your problems. Also try standing your 212 up vertically or put it up on a stand or table.
i have the promod (QR w/KT88's) and maybe you would want to throw KT88s in instead. but there are a few modifications. unfortunately i don't remember. go to the slpawn forum.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ Derrek - I believe you would solder a 1 meg resistor on top of the screen grid resistor piggyback style but I wouldn't do that without checking with Scott first.

Honestly, a $40 Dano Fish n Chips EQ in the loop will do wonders.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ Derrek - I believe you would solder a 1 meg resistor on top of the screen grid resistor piggyback style but I wouldn't do that without checking with Scott first.

Honestly, a $40 Dano Fish n Chips EQ in the loop will do wonders.

i didn't know what resistor is, i am not doing it on mine, but i certainly agree to call scott and ask.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/