I'm working a part time job for two months so far, and have to put up with the same radio station playing the same songs everyday.

Why do so many pop artistes sing about "being yourself," "not caring what others think of you," and "fitting in?" Prime examples are Mary Lambert's Secrets, Echosmith's Cool Kids, and Taylor Swift's Shake It Off (I cringed while reading the lyrics but I had to for the purpose of this thread). Aren't they adults who should be way past this angsty prepubescent phase by now?

Then there's John Legend's All Of Me, and Coldplay's A Sky Full Of Stars. Maybe because the radio is spamming them every 20 minutes, but I can't stand their croony sentimental vocals. Plus there are a whole slew of male vocalists who engage in "melodic shouting" to sing/complain about their failed love lives.
Last edited by fffplol at Dec 10, 2014,
I think those vocals are awesome. ^_^
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
beats songs about dragons and satan and shit lol

people like things and people don't like things

that's all there is to it
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Grunts, growls aren't any better, but at least I can't understand what they're trying to say.
Quote by Baby Joel

Agreed. The problem is radio stations should stop playing the same songs over and over.
Somewhat relevant to that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhFCkGl8gA

"You told me you cared,
but I don't care about you are a slut-butt
So shut the **** up
Keep your mouth shut
Slut, what the ****?!
[...]
Break it down, mother****er!
I'm in every ****ing city touching every ****ing titty
[...]
That tonight some shit is gonna be going down
put a leash on your girlfriend- she's already on her knees."
Quote by fffplol
Agreed. The problem is radio stations should stop playing the same songs over and over.

well obviously people like them playing the same songs over and over, otherwise they wouldn't do it
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
This thread is so UG circa 2005 or some shit.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
the radio at my work has a playlist that has five different versions of "all i want for christmas is you"

thats all i have to add
Quote by ErikLensherr
This thread is so UG circa 2005 or some shit.

because radio stations have been airing such songs circa 2005?
Quote by chrismendiola
Echosmith is made up of like, 16 year olds, by the way.

Oh.
Quote by Baby Joel
well obviously people like them playing the same songs over and over, otherwise they wouldn't do it

Is that why pop songs have such short shelf lives? People get bored of them quickly
I agree TS. It is a shame more music today do not have the poetic depth and smooth flow of language such as the excellent example in my signature.

*tips fedora*

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Baby Joel

This. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

One man's treasure is another man's garbage
Quote by chrismendiola

"You told me you cared,
So shut the **** up
Keep your mouth shut
Slut, what the ****?!
[...]
[...]

You clearly can't comprehend the brilliantly composed lyrics of Lord Zilla.
I bet all the music you listen to has to do with the guy singing about a girl in some way or another.
Quote by chrismendiola

"You told me you cared,
So shut the **** up
Keep your mouth shut
Slut, what the ****?!
[...]
[...]

lol forgot about this classic

Quote by chev311e
I bet all the music you listen to has to do with the guy singing about a girl in some way or another.

You mean most music today, or just me? I like mostly instrumental music such as Musk Ox and video game osts
Quote by chev311e

animal.jpg

yeah, the sound of them munching grass and farting is pretty musical.

jk, they are a neofolk band
Stop complaining and caring so much.
Your life will get a lot better.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by fffplol
You mean most music today, or just me? I like mostly instrumental music such as Musk Ox and video game osts

Exquisite selection there. I can tell that you are a gentleman.

*tips fedora*

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
lemme be real with you ts

1) most of the people listening to those songs don't give a shit. some don't care about lyrics at all, others don't look towards the pop music you've listed as a source of lyrical genius and just accept it for what it is and keep listening

2) pop songs are widely liked. the rhythms, progressions, melodies, etc, will be agreeable (if not appealing) to near everyone in our culture. if that weren't the case, they wouldn't be so popular. the lyrics likewise will be easily understood, use common themes, and follow many tropes. angsty whining or whatever is one those common themes expressed through common tropes.

it's all good fun, i recommend you stop being such a grouch

sincerely,
taylor swift
i don't know why i feel so dry
sorry for sounding whiny myself, haha. I agree with everything all of you have said, it's just that too much of anything is poisonous but then again the stations probably didnt intend for their audiences to tune in to them everyday for 8 hours straight. I would turn it off if I could, but that's not possible in the office where I am. Thankfully I will be out end of December.

Thanks all, have a nice day, or night!
Quote by Eastwinn
lemme be real with you ts

1) most of the people listening to those songs don't give a shit. some don't care about lyrics at all, others don't look towards the pop music you've listed as a source of lyrical genius and just accept it for what it is and keep listening

2) pop songs are widely liked. the rhythms, progressions, melodies, etc, will be agreeable (if not appealing) to near everyone in our culture. if that weren't the case, they wouldn't be so popular. the lyrics likewise will be easily understood, use common themes, and follow many tropes. angsty whining or whatever is one those common themes expressed through common tropes.

it's all good fun, i recommend you stop being such a grouch

sincerely,
taylor swift

this post was worth the read

Quote by fffplol
sorry for sounding whiny myself, haha. I agree with everything all of you have said, it's just that too much of anything is poisonous but then again the stations probably didnt intend for their audiences to tune in to them everyday for 8 hours straight. I would turn it off if I could, but that's not possible in the office where I am. Thankfully I will be out end of December.

Thanks all, have a nice day, or night!

Adieu, my fine scholar.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by chrismendiola
I've had the privilege of seeing it live, AMA.

I'v seen them a few years back, but they didn't play that one. They were surprisingly a good live band though. We even met their vocalist outside after the show, a few of my friends smoked a blunt with him.