hey guys ive been posting a lot lately and i hope im not bothering but this is bad (from what i knot) ive been practicing on becoming faster at the chromatic scale for about a week and until today im experiencing pain right here http://img.sparknotes.com/figures/E/eb57ee3c0bbce61d887722fc5931002b/muscles_of_the_hand_palmar.jpg at #5 the whole muscle area, the pain goes away 2 seconds after i stop playing but it hurts to the point where i have to stop because its painful, i also noticed that compared to my right hand, my left hand pinky muscle is bigger, not sure if its swollen or something, can you guys tell me whats wrong? help me on overcoming this obstacle? ive been trying to practice a lot every day lately because i want to increase my speed and skill level. thanks guys
Quote by worknguy
What do you do for warm up routine and how long do you do it for ?

i start off by stretching my fingers, the whole hand, then each finger one by one, after that i start picking at a certain speed for 3 minutes after that i do alternate picking for another 3 minutes then i do a run of chromatic scale on the fretboard just one (thats where i noticed the pain i couldnt run it even once) then after that i do some hammer ons/pull offs with each finger for 20 seconds 3 times, thats usually my warmup after that i just play and practice other scales or solos
hi man STOP!!!
if anything hurts you're doing it wrong and doing it wrong 100000 times wont make u a fast player. You're obviously building a lot of tension in you'r pinky. the only way to deal with this is:
1. stop with this exercise for 2 week
2. start warming up properly. don't know where're you form but if you have winter now, you have to pay special attention the worming up. do this. start warming up for 15 min before you grab your guitar. put a warm (not to hot) water in a sink and put both of your arms in the sing (arms down from elbow). rise you fretting hand finger tips out of the water (you dont want to soften them, before practicing) but everything else is under water for 3min. after that take your hand out, dry them, so they dont get cold again. than do warm up. rotating your wrists (check John Petrucci DVD, and do the warm up he does without guitar and with guitar).
3. when you start working on speed start slooowwllly: play a chromatic scale in whole notes 60bmp. so you play one note every 4 beats and 60 bmp!!! this is crucial. and while you're doing this you should concentrate on relaxing your entire body. and relaxing every finger after it played the not it was suppose to.

form post you wrote it's probably only an unreleased tension. as soon as u start to play faster you tens up you pinky muscle.
This might not be relevant to you but I'm putting it up in case.

A common problem is guitarists that fret with their pinky "locked out", i.e. with one of the knuckles completely straight. This is bad technique. The pinky should be just as curved as the other fingers when fretting - as though you're holding an egg.

To fix this flaw takes careful work and patience but it's very important. Nobody should experience the kind of pain you describe whilst playing.
Start practicing by just playing chords for a few minutes. Use the pinkie some too but not much. When you start practicing leads or scales start SLOW. Take it easy. Warm up well before you push it. Take a break every 20-30 minutes or so and let things rest.

If you're doing anything that hurts you're doing it wrong. I have a really messed up tendon so I get pain all the time but it's for physiological reasons, not because I'm pushing it too hard. Since the tendon was damaged in 1968 if I get pain these days I know I'm pushing it and I have to back off some. I got the muscles and tendon built up again long ago, normally I can play a 4 hour gig plus an hour of warm up with no problem, and I've been known to sit around the house and doodle for 3 or 4 hours with no problems. If anything starts to hurt I STOP then and there.

The main thing is stop pushing it so much. Warm up by starting off slow and doing easy stuff, and take breaks fairly often.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
Start practicing by just playing chords for a few minutes. Use the pinkie some too but not much. When you start practicing leads or scales start SLOW. Take it easy. Warm up well before you push it. Take a break every 20-30 minutes or so and let things rest.

If you're doing anything that hurts you're doing it wrong. I have a really messed up tendon so I get pain all the time but it's for physiological reasons, not because I'm pushing it too hard. Since the tendon was damaged in 1968 if I get pain these days I know I'm pushing it and I have to back off some. I got the muscles and tendon built up again long ago, normally I can play a 4 hour gig plus an hour of warm up with no problem, and I've been known to sit around the house and doodle for 3 or 4 hours with no problems. If anything starts to hurt I STOP then and there.

The main thing is stop pushing it so much. Warm up by starting off slow and doing easy stuff, and take breaks fairly often.

yeah man you are right, I play scales fast when im warmed and ready but i think my mistake here is that im starting off all fast when in reality i should start slow then keep going where i left off after im all set, thanks everyone for the tips, highly appreciated!
Doing a bunch of chromatic exercises tends to put more stress on your pinky than you're used to with normal playing. I'd cut way back on those for a while and let those muscles recover. Then ease your way back into it slowly and make sure you're not pressing too hard with your pinky, just keep it relaxed.