what are some well known, essential guitar solos that employs a lot of fast alternate picking with not much legato?
Last edited by musicandthewave at Dec 11, 2014,
sweet child of mine is a good start
afterlife by avenged sevenfold is all picked, so is scream solo
most solos of john petrucci lol
Quote by inchindar
sweet child of mine is a good start
afterlife by avenged sevenfold is all picked, so is scream solo
most solos of john petrucci lol

Those wouldn't be the best Avenged Sevenfold solo's for alternate picking. Welcome to the Family would for sure be the single best solo for alternate picking if you're in to the Avenged Sevenfold catalogue.

Skip to 2:10 for the solo.

John Petrucci is of course always a great guitarist to look at for alternate picking, but you can't forget the king of alternate picking himself - Paul Gilbert. His most popular song would have to be Technical Difficulties or Scarified:

Psychosocial by Slipknot also has a very very good solo for practicing your alternate picking:

Skip to 2:10

Last edited by vayne92 at Dec 11, 2014,
Gosh yes!!! Paul Gilbert why didn't I think of that Wanker (The nicest way possible, with all respect).
Yes yes he is one of the cleanest if not the cleanest alternate picker, probably on par with say MOB.

I see what you mean, scream is more, I'm not sure what you call it, circular picking? where you just repeat the same 6 note run over and over again. Out of all the guitarists I have seen, Syn is the only one who does those runs, like in the end of Aferlife, I mean at 220bpm 16th notes anyway.

But I think sweet child of mine is still a great start, especially when you are a newbie to alt picking. The solo has good runs, even has 2 note per string section. Overall this is a good solo to learn, it has some nice bends, vibrato, so you could improve some other techniques.
Quote by inchindar
I see what you mean, scream is more, I'm not sure what you call it, circular picking? where you just repeat the same 6 note run over and over again. Out of all the guitarists I have seen, Syn is the only one who does those runs, like in the end of Aferlife, I mean at 220bpm 16th notes anyway.

The scream solo is only 6 notes as you said. Sure its fast, but it's just the same lick for 20 seconds. It's also only on 2 strings if i recall. It's not really that exciting or too useful to practice that solo.
Afterlife on the other hand doesn't have much alternate picking. There's a few very small chromatics on the high e, but that's pretty much it, and it's nearly pointless practicing chromatics of that nature. If anything I'd recommend that solo more if he wanted to practice legato because the legato runs are significantly more interesting and worthy of practicing than the very few alternate picking parts.
Any Malmsteen you can find.

No legato first makes your left hand becoming fluid and natural. If that is not done your right hand is to developed and you got problems as your hands do not sync up.

That is what is missing before diving into Paul Gilbert intense rock 1 etc.

That is why Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina is the bible for learning what you desire.
Definitely High way star - Deep Purple guitar solo at the end has a really cool picking pattern and it's not that hard, it's only on one string. Start with things that are based on one string so you can get your hands in sink. than move over two strings and so on. also be really careful not to build any extra tension in you hands! this is soooo important. you got to learn how to release the tension when you play fast, otherwise you'll never really be able to play clean and consistent at high tempos
Quote by vayne92
The scream solo is only 6 notes as you said. Sure its fast, but it's just the same lick for 20 seconds. It's also only on 2 strings if i recall. It's not really that exciting or too useful to practice that solo.
Afterlife on the other hand doesn't have much alternate picking. There's a few very small chromatics on the high e, but that's pretty much it, and it's nearly pointless practicing chromatics of that nature. If anything I'd recommend that solo more if he wanted to practice legato because the legato runs are significantly more interesting and worthy of practicing than the very few alternate picking parts.

YEah you are right, how ever those 2 solos are very hard to play cleanly because such runs are very unusual. Afterlife is great for learning how to sweep, yeh it is basically just chromatics.

Another good solo by Syn for good alt picking is actually "To end the rapture" it is easy, just 3 notes a string, actually 6, you repeat it again, this is a good beginer alt song, when i play it it kinda sounds like paul gilberty kinda sound lol.
Malmsteen does mostly eco picking and tons of legato, Gilbert is the guy to look at
A lot of the popular 80s shredders (such as Paul Gilbert as mentioned) have solos containing long alternate picking passages since this was one of the most important techniques to the shred genre/style of playing/whatever you call it.

Also, a lot of 80s metal (thrash/death especially) has fast alternate picking solos. If you're looking for something not as fast or challenging as the 80s shred (which is very hard to play properly!) then you could try learning something you like from this genre. It will still be hard, but hopefully not as hard.