So, because a family member decided to leave those damn white things in the door way where the baby gate is supposed to be (the white things are what allow the baby gate to fit and lock in the door way), I went to bring my guitar back into my bedroom after singing and strumming to my Christian music and I accidentally smashed it onto one of those damn things and now there's a hole in it about the size of a dime. So, rules for my guitar have changed. I'm the only one to ever touch the guitar, and my guitar never leaves my bedroom EVER unless I'm performing at my church, or practicing for performance at a friends house. I know. pretty strict, but I can no longer be nice when it comes to my guitar. I need to be over protective. I don't have 300 dollars to replace it and the money we got for the guitar is because we sold some stuff. We can't sell that stuff a second time.

So, now onto my questions. Is there by chance any way for me to repair it? Aside from what I've listed, how else would you recommend I modify my care to accommodate this damage? Is the care still the same? 40% humidity, wipe down daily, polish weekly, keep away from drafts, change strings, etc? Or is there something else I need to start doing? I ask because now my guitar is obviously weaker and its life has been severely shortened. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Last edited by ianhulett at Dec 11, 2014,
You know it's not very Christian to blame others for your own carelessness, don't you? Consider those white things merely, "obstacles in the path of righteousness".

In any event, where exactly is the hole?

Do you have the piece that fell out?

How do you know the guitar has been, "weakened severely"? Unless major glue joints have separated, or the top braces have come loose, it probably isn't. They can be glued back in anyway, although it does take time and patience. And maybe a few long reach C clamps.

Unless further inspection reveals additional damage, I'd glue the piece back in the hole, (using a "Crazy Glue", (cyanoacrylate), type adhesive, and move on with my life.

An "invisible repair", done by a luthier or cabinet maker would be cost prohibitive in the context of a guitar in this price range. Live with the battle scars. I've chipped paint on a $700.00 12 string, simply taking it out of the box. We all have to move on.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 11, 2014,
Get a job, move out of your parent's house, buy a new guitar and live in a closet with it.
Quote by Twisted1
Get a job, move out of your parent's house, buy a new guitar and live in a closet with it.

Nah. I ain't goin' back in that filthy closet. Screw that shit. I already came out of there and will never go back, and society can't pressure me to go back.
Last edited by ianhulett at Dec 11, 2014,
If the hole is on the surface (Front or back) it's probably not a structural issue. I mean, come on! Willie Nelson's been playing the same guitar for decades! Look at that hole!
Seriously, if you're really worried about it, go to a hardwood shop or furniture supply store and find some hardwood veneer, cut it bigger than the hole and glue it on from the inside. It won't look great, but it will fix it.
Attachments:
Willie_Trigger-Promo.jpg
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Also, since you were the one that broke the guitar, why would it be safer only in your hands?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
"wipe down daily, polish weekly" yeesh, it's a $300 guitar, these things happen. I realize not everyone can afford a Martin, and that's okay, but at that price it's better to just live with the damage

glen hansard has a gaping hole in his Takamine and he's been using that guitar for over a decade. Adds some flavour, I think
I've spent all my money on gear, but I don't have a band yet
Quote by ryanbwags
Also, since you were the one that broke the guitar, why would it be safer only in your hands?

*screams* I HATE LOGIC!!! AGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Quote by ZombicidalMan
"wipe down daily, polish weekly" yeesh, it's a $300 guitar, these things happen. I realize not everyone can afford a Martin, and that's okay, but at that price it's better to just live with the damage

glen hansard has a gaping hole in his Takamine and he's been using that guitar for over a decade. Adds some flavour, I think

Glen Hansard is a great singer. I have Falling Slowly on mp3 and I even know how to play it on guitar.
Quote by ryanbwags
If the hole is on the surface (Front or back) it's probably not a structural issue. I mean, come on! Willie Nelson's been playing the same guitar for decades! Look at that hole!

It's actually on the side.
Quote by ianhulett
It's actually on the side.
Then it's even less of a structural issue, especially on guitar in the price range.

You see, the sides are laminated and that tends to not allow a crack to run, (or even walk), or spread.

Besides. there is very little attached to the sides. as long as you didn't slam it directly against the neck joint,
It's a $300 guitar, frankly you'd be wasting your money fixing it.

You're already wasting your time with your maintenance regime, cleaning the fretboard once or twice a year and changing the strings monthly is all the maintenance it should need.
FWIW, I agree with all the points made so far - your fault, too much care, not likely a structural problem, no worth a pro fix etc.

My suggestion comes from a old army adage - "If you can't move it, paint it, if you can't paint it, stick a sign in front of it. So turn it into some kind of mojo feature, I would likely just stick a couple of pieces of duct tape over it to hide the sharp edges. If it is in the bass side you could maybe turn it into a sound port. I've thought of doing that with unwanted preamp holes.
Quote by ryanbwags
If the hole is on the surface (Front or back) it's probably not a structural issue. I mean, come on! Willie Nelson's been playing the same guitar for decades! Look at that hole!....
I read a long, tedious article, about the care and feeding of, "Trigger", Nelson's guitar. It gets repaired regularly.

IMHO, at least part of the mystique is all in Willies's pot addled brain, and the rest of the mojo has to come from the guys at the mixing board.

Quote by ianhulett
Nah. I ain't goin' back in that filthy closet. Screw that shit. I already came out of there and will never go back, and society can't pressure me to go back.
In that case, wear a really loud dress to church, and nobody will pay any attention to the hole in the guitar. They'll be too busy pondering the hole with the guitar....

I do apologize sincerely for that. You left the door wide, wide, open, and I lack the courtesy, character, good taste, or breeding not to walk through it.

Quote by ryanbwags
Because he can't afford to pay Pete Townshend to carry it around for him?
Quote by Captaincranky

In that case, wear a really loud dress to church, and nobody will pay any attention to the hole in the guitar. They'll be too busy pondering the hole with the guitar....

How 'bout a mini skirt?

Quote by Captaincranky

I do apologize sincerely for that. You left the door wide, wide, open, and I lack the courtesy, character, good taste, or breeding not to walk through it.

I wrote that on purpose. I like to poke fun at myself when I do something stupid or when I appear or sound stupid. Don't worry about it.