Hey Dudes, I am in a working band, that decided to take a little hiatus. I figure this is a good opportunity to fix up/modify/ and build my electric guitars. I've swapped out the electronics in guitars before as well as repaired other people's but I have a few problems I cant seem to figure out with each of my guitars.

This one is a lot more interesting than my first thread, I picked up this guitar body from a friend who got it from a friend who got it from a friend. Apparently it used to be a 1968 Les Paul custom that some idiot tore apart, sanded down and claimed for insurance money. I dont really care if that is true or not, I just wanna fix it up and play it.

My first problem is; The pickups sit waaay too deep in the hole. Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to make them sit higher? I bought some gibson brand pickup rings... is it as simple as screwing the pickup into the ring? It feels to me like there should be a sturdier base.

Tiananmen Square Dance
Last edited by CraZzZy Diamond at Dec 11, 2014,

It's the same guitar as in this thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1624577

Such a sad story. **** the guy who did that.
Quote by CraZzZy Diamond

My first problem is; The pickups sit waaay too deep in the hole. Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to make them sit higher? I bought some gibson brand pickup rings... is it as simple as screwing the pickup into the ring? It feels to me like there should be a sturdier base.

Yes. It's that simple.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Cool thanks. My next question is about coating. At first I wanted to do a cool colour, but now I'm leaning towards a clearcoat finish. Any Recommendations?
Tiananmen Square Dance
Blonde and dreds huh? Reminds me of the guitarist for Leftover Crack

You can get taller pickup rings that will help with your problem

1967 huh? that's amazing, they didn't make a LP in 1967. 1952-1960 were the LP body style, 1961-63 the LP was SG body style, 1968-now are the LP body style

1964-1967 there were no LP guitars ever made
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 11, 2014,
1968* That was a typo. If you check out the thread T00DEEPBLUE posted. it has more info. In all honesty I got the body for so cheap I don't care what it used to be, based on what I can figure out it is defiantly an old Gibson of some kind... weather or not its a 68 les paul custom I cant say for certain.
Tiananmen Square Dance
Quote by CraZzZy Diamond
1968* That was a typo. If you check out the thread T00DEEPBLUE posted. it has more info. In all honesty I got the body for so cheap I don't care what it used to be, based on what I can figure out it is defiantly an old Gibson of some kind... weather or not its a 68 les paul custom I cant say for certain.

I was just letting you know so you weren't getting scamed

Got any pic's of the headstock?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's a pretty good looking wood color, I'd say clear coat it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
So for a pickup you want the ones around it to be screwed in the two in the center on the left and right need screws and springs. They compress so that the pickup can go higher.

so screw first
then the spring under
squeeze the spring a bit or somehow get the threading to make contact with the baseplate

mounting rings don't have to be gibson brand but it's a step in the right direction. Usually I use chinese ones on my guitars.

500k pots for sure - Gibson brand I suppose are best.
vintage wiring over regular
wire material doesn't matter much - 24awg i recommend
black beauty or orange drop capacitors 0.047uf
switchcraft input jack / CRL or gibson switches

anyways replacement parts you'll need if they aren't there
3-38 screws for the pickups if you need them
springs? ball point pens from like the dollar store