Page 1 of 2
I was looking at the recent post where someones wife got pissed and destroyed his Gibson Les Paul. It was tough to look at the pics but I thought about gear disasters I have personally been involved with so here goes one.

The bass player in the band I was back in the early 80's in had an older Ampeg SVT bass amp with dual cabs (a back breaker). One night on the job at a club the SVT started to makeing very loud cracking noises. When we were between songs the bass player was turning his amp on and off. I and I was looking sideways at the bass player who was standing in front of his amp looking at the front panel. He was not that tall so the SVT amp head was almost face high. He turned off the amp and looked me as if asking for suggestions. I said "turn it on again". What other advice could I offer? He turned the amp back on and the crackling was even louder. As he turned his head to say something to me one of the power tubes in the head exploded sending some kind quick flame through the front grill of the amp head hitting him on the back of his neck. The flame only lasted half a second but it gave him a good 2nd degree burn that blistered and melted part of the front grill cloth. If he hadn't turned is head to talk to me, it would have been right in his face.

Got a good tale of destruction?
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 12, 2014,
i froze up my macbook once watching these two mexican girls getting their asses eaten out by this fat black guy on full screen

gotta love hi-def tho

In the high school talent show we caught this kid's PA on fire and sent smoke into the rafters and the principal was back stage and was pissed. Luckily the fire alarm didn't go off or anything. I remember playing and smelling smoke and looking around and the kid who owned the system was fanning it as the smoke was coming off. We kept playing even though the vocals were super quiet. Everybody asked us after why they smelled smoke. Some kids even saw it.
On my way to band practice. Stopped at red light. Got rear-ended by a pickup going full speed. When we pulled to the side of the road, I realized my entire trunk was mashed. Amp, pedalboard case, a few pedals, and a partscaster trashed.

It wasn't the most expensive loss in the history of gear mishaps, but for a poor musician it was a pretty big setback. Insurance didn't give me jack either, because apparently putting ~$500 into a $250 guitar only gets you the used price of the original $250 guitar back :-/
for like two weeks my touchpad wasnt working but i didnt realize that i hit the button that turns the touchpad off cos i didnt know such a button existed so i had to use one of those dorky as **** usb mouses for like two weeks until one night i was looking at my keyboard and i pressed that key and my touchpad worked again and i was like :0
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
for like two weeks my touchpad wasnt working but i didnt realize that i hit the button that turns the touchpad off cos i didnt know such a button existed so i had to use one of those dorky as **** usb mouses for like two weeks until one night i was looking at my keyboard and i pressed that key and my touchpad worked again and i was like :0

Confirmed for belljob.
Broke a string on almost every guitar in the practice space during band practice once. That was just awesome though
Quote by deadsmileyface

gotta love first world problems...
i have a les paul double cut faded & one time some gear fell on it in transit & the neck snapped at the headstock (like les pauls do). musta been sept. '08. it wasn't broken all the way through & i was able to do a pretty simple DIY repair with gorilla glue & a vice, so that was good. it's still my primary guitar. that's my most disastrous story.
I owned a Line 6 Spider III

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I dropped a classical guitar on my face and cracked open my forehead when I was 15. The guitar fell to the ground and then the neck broke.

I was a sadman. ;_;
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Back in the early days of Bugera, when those amps were notorious for the plastic clip problem, I was playing my first generation 333XL at a show that thankfully could have been worse if we actually had an audience that night - my amp went out, one guitar failed, and my footswitch cable broke.

We started the first song, everything was fine, second song started, I'm playing and then we get to the solo, I hit the FX loop switch to boost for a solo - no boost, back to the clean part of the song, no cleans, so I drop the volume and think "well ****, now I have to walk back to the amp for a booster".

Third song starts, I'm not happy, as this song has a lot of clean, distorted and boosted sections, then the amp just goes out mid song. I walk back, jiggle my amp-to-speaker cable and bring it back to life, I keep going, then the outro comes, crackling again, jiggle the cable, nope, not that this time, I kick the amp, it comes back on....now I'm starting to indulge...slowly, into my inner Blackmore......

By the end of the song, I'd had to kick the cab 4-5 times to bring it back on, finally it came back on, then went down again just as the song was ending.....so then I really started kicking the amp, and making all sorts of feedback and noise and executing a grunge-style garbage can ending with my amp cutting in and out, I throw the Jaguar, albeit not that hard, across the stage, it keeps feeding back....at that point, I decided...in my infinite desperation, I'll try my backup.

I grab my trusty Jag-Stang, which had a 7 year old Radio Shack input jack in it (aka. cheap crap), I plug my cable in and it falls out, and look down to realize the nuts holding the input jack in had let go and now my input jack is inside the guitar. I take her to the side of the stage and put that one away. ....well, back to the Jaguar......my only functional guitar at this point.

I then proceed to go on a feedback laiden rampage, looking around my amp and finagling the cables till they work, and then spend the rest of the night, tail between my legs (figuratively speaking of course), with a broken footswitch, one working guitar with a kink in the D string over the 5th fret (and I was praying to god at this point that string did not break), playing to two drunk people, who came in while I was on the warpath, who thought my "destruction session" was cool and that my playing was awesome (kind of what I needed being as pissed as I was about the gear failure).

Took the amp home, in a panic as I had a gig the very next day in Seattle. That's where here on UG I found a user with a 333XL that had the same exact issue mine did, the clip melted. That was the night I also made a rant and a tutorial on youtube about it. Sorry, no time to send to Bugera to have them replace/fix. I still have that amp now, and after updating that repair for solidarity, I've never had another problem with the transformer wires.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
I broke both E strings at once and my guitar exploded.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
so today an ex-girlfriend of mine called me from her highschool (yup) saying she needed to change the bulb in one of her headlights cause the snow was getting a little more intense and she's a garbage driver. so anyway i drive down there and do it for her cause apparently no one else could and while i'm at it i'm like "okay lemme check your oil" (in spanish tho obv cause getafe) so i tug the dipstick the littlest bit and the plastic handle just cracked right off. that's how long it has been since she'd even thought about oil. disaster right there
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
so today an ex-girlfriend of mine called me from her highschool (yup) saying she needed to change the bulb in one of her headlights cause the snow was getting a little more intense and she's a garbage driver. so anyway i drive down there and do it for her cause apparently no one else could and while i'm at it i'm like "okay lemme check your oil" (in spanish tho obv cause getafe) so i tug the dipstick the littlest bit and the plastic handle just cracked right off. that's how long it has been since she'd even thought about oil. disaster right there

Oh lord O.o

Reminds me of my first car. It didn't end well. She is no longer with us.
my dick is still stuck in my reverb pedal
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by Eastwinn

Were you all like:

"Abremela para que pueda chequear el flujo de sus fluidos."

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I owned a Line 6 Spider III

I own a Line 6 spider IV
I think I win
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
(Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
I know everyone on here judges me

I still own it, but I don't use it anymore
I now use a Vox AC30C2
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Dec 12, 2014,
Other guitarist's amp in the band went out during a show in the middle of a set

I gave him my cable, told him to hop on my amp and pedalboard, ran to the back of the stage, shut off his amp, popped out the bad tube and popped a new one in. Took about a 5 minute song to do. Had to grab a towel to pull the tube though .

I've had exceptional luck with my gear actually... never really had anything crap out on me. My footswitch on my Renegade acted up for about a month, does that count
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
My amp still plays mexican radio when I touch the cables sometimes
i broke my low e string one time.

i think i was playing a nickleback song.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by chrismendiola
Open it for me.
(Abre)(me)(la)

oic
Quote by chrismendiola
Open it for me.
(Abre)(me)(la)

okay but since when is "la" enclitic?
Dropped one of my guitars on two different occasions because the strap gave out, the finish is chipped in 4 different areas. I'v also banged it off shit on multiple occasions because it's an awkward shaped metal style guitar.
I had a dart bounce off the board and impale my RGT. Atleast the guitar now has an interesting (or not) story.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by Eastwinn

i got something enclitic in my pants heh heh heh
Quote by Eastwinn

Quote by RylanThePotato
i got something enclitic in my pants heh heh heh

I was gonna say "lol clit" but Rylan has that covered.

I don't know if they do this in Spain since my Spanish (I'm fairly sure it does) is equal parts Mexican, Peruvian and Dominican, but the direct/indirect object can be shortened to "lo(s)/la(s)/le(s)" so it'd be enclitic.
I just spilled rootbeer all over my bed
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel

If it was Cherry Cola, I'd have told you to cover it up with your jizz.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by Baby Joel

I'm scared now because I'm drinking root beer in bed now and I don't want to spill it
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by chrismendiola
I was gonna say "lol clit" but Rylan has that covered.

I don't know if they do this in Spain since my Spanish (I'm fairly sure it does) is equal parts Mexican, Peruvian and Dominican, but the direct/indirect object can be shortened to "lo(s)/la(s)/le(s)" so it'd be enclitic.

hmmm ok. i'm gonna ask one of the spanish linguists at my school and see if they can tell me which spanish speakers do this and maybe other conditions.
this one time i knocked over a can of lager on my amp, i was using it as a bedside table though so what did i expect
Page 1 of 2