Hi everyone!

I recently made a post in the customizing forum, asking for some advices to power up my current guitar (an Ibanez SA). But after asking to the owner of my local store, i changed my mind and decided that a new guitar is what i need.
I'm metal/hard rock oriented, and after some research i narrowed my choice to two guitars (better models are unaffordable to me):

- Schecter Damien Elite 6
- LTD MH-350

Which one would you suggest me, and what are the differences between the two?
I have a Schecter Damien Elite 7 Metallic Black, black chrome hardware, solid mahogany carved top body and EMG81/85 and it is pretty bada$$, I do not own any LTDs but my band mate has a couple and they are pretty nice from what little I have played them.

I can't really speak to the LTD because I've only played them a few times, but my Schecter has great playability and the build quality is top notch, the fit and finish are excellent and I have not experienced any issues with the electronics.

Both good choices for that price range I'd say play them both and grab them one that speaks to you, sounds like you've already done your research which is the key IMO when purchasing music gear, search online for reviews for each of them and then once you play the both the decision will be much easier.

Good luck!

I grabbed the Damien Elite 7 for only $350 from a friend and it is in mint condition!

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 11, 2014,
Schecters and LTDs are sometimes (depending on the model) made in the same factory. The quality, therefore, is almost identical. Personally I love the Schecters. LTDs are almost the same guitars, but I like Schecter headstocks more, and I feel like they have a bit better quality control, after the factory. That's just based on my own experience though. I'd say between those two, just play them both and take whichever one feels and sounds better to you. Or, since they'll very likely feel and sound almost the same, take whichever one you think looks cooler.
and I feel like they have a bit better quality control, after the factory

Great point Schechter's get set up by a tech in the USA after they are imported before being shipped to the store, which is a good thing considering what the temperature fluctuations can do to the neck on the long journey overseas.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
Great point Schechter's get set up by a tech in the USA after they are imported before being shipped to the store, which is a good thing considering what the temperature fluctuations can do to the neck on the long journey overseas.

Damn skippy. I work at a music shop and we have our tech set up the guitars before putting them on the floor, if needed. With the Schecters, it's rarely needed. Earlier this year we got one of their new C-6 Deluxes, the cheapest guitar they've ever made, aside from the short-lived SGR line. That thing came out of the box in tune, with frets as smooth and action as perfect as the USA Deluxe Strat we got a bit earlier.
I work at a music shop and we have our tech set up the guitars before putting them on the floor, if needed

It's too bad that a lot of the big chain music stores don't do this, Sam Ash/GC etc.

It seems like a no brainer to me, if all of your guitars on display were set up then they would sell themselves or at least help the sales person to seal the deal, nothing worse than a sales person trying to convince you how good the guitar is when it plays like crap.

I have a B.C. Rich Beast VNT is was "crafted in China" I bought it used from GC, but it had a similar sticker as well stating it had been set up in the US.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

You should decide primarily based on the necks. As everyone has said, they're from the same factory (generally) and often have almost identical specs. One major difference however, is that LTD's tend to have a flatter, skinnier neck than Schecters (aptly described as a baseball bat). If you like the Ibanez Wizard necks, an LTD is the way to go, if you hate thin necks and need a bit more meat, ala a les paul, then go Schecter.

Personally, I've found that the LTD's are built better and sound more "alive," every diamond series Schecter I've played has sounded dead to me, could be the wood, or might be the pots, or migth be my ears, who knows. (I have both Schecters and an LTD)
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
Of those two, I'd go with the Schecter.

...but not before considering Fernandes- they're having a clearance sale. Supplies are limited. Here are a few I think you'd dig.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/deluxe/68-dragonfly-deluxe.html
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/dragonfly/89-dragonfly-spalted-maple.html
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/revolver/72-revolver-deluxe.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 12, 2014,
Quote by ElzeardOfCanaan
But after asking to the owner of my local store, i changed my mind and decided that a new guitar is what i need.

Good salesman. What did he say?

I'd go Schecter.
What i wanted to do was changing the pickups, but he told me that better pickups do not necessarily mean better playing, for a guitar's sound is also determined by the materials, the internal wiring and other factors. He suggested me to change guitar and i think that he is just right. Tomorrow i will go to the store and see what i can get.
Quote by ElzeardOfCanaan
What i wanted to do was changing the pickups, but he told me that better pickups do not necessarily mean better playing, for a guitar's sound is also determined by the materials, the internal wiring and other factors. He suggested me to change guitar and i think that he is just right. Tomorrow i will go to the store and see what i can get.

Do you have a good amp? That's what will impact your sound most.
Before you do change, please consider this:
(Depending on the model of the SA, most of this applies, IE please tell the model of the SA)
Both the LTD and the Schecter have the same body wood as the SA, Mahogany. So on this aspect, changing the SA for any of those won't do anything.

Furthermore, what you're looking in are both equiped with EMG's, Wood has a lot less "impact" on active, puting EMG's on your SA will surely make it sound a lot more like what you want (if you're into that sound).

The most notable difference between those 3:
Neck:
SA and LTD have thin and flat neck, if you're into this kind of neck, stay away from Schecter
Schecter has a "beef" neck, feels more masive than LTD and Ibanez

Bridge:
From what I can tell, Schecter and SA have fixed bridge. Pretty simple to setup, stable and less hassle if you change tuning (going to drop D from standard is an easy move)
LTD has a floating bridge. The floyd rose Special will be all right if you set it up properly, you can even block it on "dive only" if you want to drop tune. It's nonetheless more "complicated" but you get more "features".

Now, before you do anything, please update with the model of the Ibanez, it'll help us help you a lot more!
Well, depending on your use, EMG makes "kit" with S/S/81 and SA/SA/81. I don't know how they sound but it all depends if you use a lot of the bridge and middle pickup. If you don't, well, it won't matter.

Depending on your goal for the tone, you might get more with passive, it all depends on what you want to acheive, but a Hot Rail is an option if you want to use high output on a single space (on the neck).

The neck on your SA is close to what you would find on the LTD. An RG, for example, would have a thinner neck.

One thing though, if you want to change the SSH for an HH for the "sake of it", you should consider the Ibanez Iron Serie.

But, then, again, if you don't like thin and wide neck, the Schecter will fit you better.

But with an EMG on the bridge, all of those would sound about the same.
Quote by t1mman
Before you do change, please consider this:
(Depending on the model of the SA, most of this applies, IE please tell the model of the SA)
Both the LTD and the Schecter have the same body wood as the SA, Mahogany. So on this aspect, changing the SA for any of those won't do anything.

Furthermore, what you're looking in are both equiped with EMG's, Wood has a lot less "impact" on active, puting EMG's on your SA will surely make it sound a lot more like what you want (if you're into that sound).

The most notable difference between those 3:
Neck:
SA and LTD have thin and flat neck, if you're into this kind of neck, stay away from Schecter
Schecter has a "beef" neck, feels more masive than LTD and Ibanez

Bridge:
From what I can tell, Schecter and SA have fixed bridge. Pretty simple to setup, stable and less hassle if you change tuning (going to drop D from standard is an easy move)
LTD has a floating bridge. The floyd rose Special will be all right if you set it up properly, you can even block it on "dive only" if you want to drop tune. It's nonetheless more "complicated" but you get more "features".

Now, before you do anything, please update with the model of the Ibanez, it'll help us help you a lot more!

The neck on the Damien isn't actually that thick, I've got one and it's pretty similar to the guitar s/he's using now. It's only a little thicker than the neck on my old Ibanez.

I've got to agree though, if you want your guitar to sound like a guitar with EMGs in it, put EMGs in it. You still didn't say what amp you have, a new guitar might not be what helps most.
Quote by battlespud
You should decide primarily based on the necks. As everyone has said, they're from the same factory (generally) and often have almost identical specs. One major difference however, is that LTD's tend to have a flatter, skinnier neck than Schecters (aptly described as a baseball bat). If you like the Ibanez Wizard necks, an LTD is the way to go, if you hate thin necks and need a bit more meat, ala a les paul, then go Schecter.

Personally, I've found that the LTD's are built better and sound more "alive," every diamond series Schecter I've played has sounded dead to me, could be the wood, or might be the pots, or migth be my ears, who knows. (I have both Schecters and an LTD)

Sorry, no. Schecter necks are not baseball bats. 50s Fenders and Gibsons have baseball bat necks. Schecter's standard neck profile is pretty average.

That said, I would go for the LTD. I prefer the neck on those quite a bit over Schecter's standard profile (their Ultra Thin C is nice, though).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
LTD / ESP and schecter are all the same company so all the money goes into the same guys pocket.

I've owned both and the damien elite is much heavier in weight (very thick body) and the neck is one of the thickest necks I've ever played. Sounds excellent and all high end parts. It weights about as much as a gibson les paul custom.

the LTD is much thinner. Like my MH1000 I got on craigslist was like feathers compared to it. This ones I've seen on google are neckthrough and if you can get one without a floyd rose it's the go to guitar. I find guitars with floyd rose or any tremolo sound too thin to my ears and ask yourself how much you use the whammy bar.

try some guitars without active pickups and see if you really want them. Most guys can't tell the difference when they come over to get their guitars modded and something like a seymour duncan distortion , a dimarzio X2N and so forth are just as high output but without the useless battery. Here's a comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3YzI3sd2WA
It really is just a matter of preference, light guitars with thin necks are great I love the necks on my Jacksons but I also have a Damien Elite 7 and while the body is indeed a big ass chunk of mahogany and the neck is more substantial the sustain is equally substantial. Same is true of My B.C. Rich Beast V neck thru it has a thick Nato body and a medium neck it is rather heavy but again so is the sustain, the Beast V has a Kahler which offers more sustain than a Floyd IMO because less body wood has to be removed.

I prefer Floyd's for trems but they do diminish a guitars sustain, brass big block and heavy duty springs help to replace some of that.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge