I've got a Dean Mustaine VMNTX, so when I bought it I automatically told myself to buy a new bridge pickup when I get the money. The time is now. I'm looking for something that'll give me that gritty Exodus, Slayer, and Megadeth tone. I'm going to have around 70-80 bucks to spend
Dimarzio x2n industry standard
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I'm using a Bugera 333 Infinium head and I read that the x2n may not be very good on modern high gain amps. Thoughts?
Works fine on my amps
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I recently bought an IronGear Steam Hammer, and I love it. It's great for metal.

Their new Metal Machine might be worth a look, too.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Well Slayer uses EMG 81 through boosted JCM800s, Exodus (at least Gary) uses EMG 81 through an ENGL Savage and Megadeth (at least Dave) uses custom Duncan LiveWires actives through digital units and ultimately Marshall heads and cabs.

Most of those guys, at least Megadeth, used the good ole Duncan JB before they went Active. Testament's rhythm section uses a Duncan Distortion.

So for what you're asking I'd go JB or Distortion.

I run and EMG 81, JB, and Distortion in my different guitars. Frankly they all sound good for this type of music.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Well Slayer uses EMG 81 through boosted JCM800s, Exodus (at least Gary) uses EMG 81 through an ENGL Savage and Megadeth (at least Dave) uses custom Duncan LiveWires actives through digital units and ultimately Marshall heads and cabs.

Most of those guys, at least Megadeth, used the good ole Duncan JB before they went Active. Testament's rhythm section uses a Duncan Distortion.

So for what you're asking I'd go JB or Distortion.

I run and EMG 81, JB, and Distortion in my different guitars. Frankly they all sound good for this type of music.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If your lookin for that vintage 80s thrash tone the Seymour Duncan SH4 JB and SH6 Duncan Distortion are both excellent choices that were used by tons of hard rock and metal bands back in the day.

A lot of guitarists also used the DiMarzio Super Distortion, the DiMarzio Tone Zone rocks also.

If you are on a budget look up Wilde pickups http://wildepickups.com they don't advertise and sell high quality hand wound in the USA pickups at killer prices You can get an L500XL for about $60 the pickup that Dimebag always used.

He may have endorsed the Dimebucker and used some in the Washburn's but all of his trusty Dean ML guitars were equipped with an L500XL in the bridge position!

These pickups can be custom made to order I bought an L500XL/L500R set it took about a month to get them but it was worth the wait!

Anyway I have all of the aforementioned pups loaded into some of my guitars with the exception of the Super Distortion which is a tad trebly to my ear but any of them will do the job.

On the website the L500XL is listed under Wilde Bill's Twin Blades:

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 12, 2014,
Quote by RJH11

How about no. I can't even begin to say how completely wrong this is, never mind because there isn't an industry standard.

OP: I'm a big fan of the Duncan Distortion for thrash stuff. The Dimarzio Evolution also does a really nice job.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Follow this link then click on the various items on the menu to the left to learn some pretty cool stuff from Bill Lawrence the Godfather of replacement pickups"

http://billlawrence.com/Pages/All_About_Tone.htm/Pickupology.htm
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 12, 2014,
That Dimarzio Evolution sounds real nice, but I do not know what it would sound like with my amp. Definitely thinking about trying out that one.
I run through a 5150 II, it works fine with it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Do I need to replace tone pots or whatever for more output? Like what's this 500K stuff?
Duncan JB or Dimarzio Super Distortion would be my choices

If you have HB's in the guitar it almost certainly has 500k pots (but you can check to make sure)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 12, 2014,
Quote by PiercedBand
How do I check to see what the pots are?

Look at them, they will have 500k on them or they might be 250k, 300k,1Meg. But it will say on them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I love my dimarzio D activators (not x) they do thrash great.
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
I know John 5 uses D-Activators, he's recorded Zombie's past 2 albums with them I think. Was looking at putting some of those in a J5 signature
Quote by PiercedBand
I know John 5 uses D-Activators, he's recorded Zombie's past 2 albums with them I think. Was looking at putting some of those in a J5 signature

Great pickups, so does eddie ojeda (twisted sister) and some heavier guys like blake martin (a plea for purging) and kyle odell (martyr to the flames). They're really versatile as well. Personally i coil tapped mine and it adds a whole 'nother dimension. Cleans sound great too
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
I have no problem playing thrash with a x2n industry standard my bad damn liquer but I get by with a x2n.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by RJH11

i firmly disagree with you. X2N's. they haven't ever really been the industry standard. there are a few who used them, but most people they aren't quite the right flavor. have no dynamics, really anything other than insane output. i have put one in three different guitars and traded it for something else. dimarzio super distortion would be my pick or active.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I just said my bad in the above post ^
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by RJH11
I just said my bad in the above post ^

point being?

i started my post and went to get some beef jerky and a beer and came back and posted the above comment

i don't see how anybody could make the mistake of the X2N or where it may have sprung through their mind.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Point being my bad I miss posted am I allowed to play ball still?
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
one nice thing about dimarzio is that if you have it and don't like it, they will exchange it for a second attempt on any other model, i would start with a super distortion, if you don't like it come back to us (fist) and ask again.

also a lot of pickup brands will give you a suggestion if you tell them your rig and what you want out of it. just anther thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
So I'm going to try out the Dimarzio Evolution, it sounds better than an EMG 81 imo. got a little more bite
I have Seymour Duncan Black Winters and I love them. Passive pickups and they have a nice rounded out sound that's not too overbearing. Plus, the cleans actually are NOT all that bad.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Quote by PiercedBand
By the way, I'm pretty sure Mustaine used an X2N

Nah, he was a JB guy before he got his signature pickups (which are more or less active versions of the JB/Jazz set).

The Evo is a very cool pickup. One of my favorite neck pickups is the evo neck - it's so fluid. Bridge pickup is cool too, very sharp and aggressive.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 14, 2014,
Yeah I know that now after a little more in-depth research. I read a few places he used a X2N on Rust in Peace
Quote by AsOneIStand
Plus, the cleans actually are NOT all that bad.

Cleans are the least of my worries lol.
I'd give Black Winters a try if I were you.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)