Where I live nobody seems to have one. I am still using a modem for internet access so its a bit cumbersome to check out whats already been said about the EVH Wolfgang USA.

But I've read some stuff where people think the EVH is a lot better than the Music Man Axis in almost every way which is a guitar I'm kind of leaning towards buying.

Anybody got some experience with the Wolfgang USA?
from my fondling in stores, i may reword and say "i think EVH are more refined guitars". if that makes sense. and generally, price reflects it since EVHs go up to about 4000 and you can snag a music man axis for 1500-2000.

that being said, i think these two brands are some of the best guitars on teh market. i think the whole music man guitar line is really hard to beat. incredible stuff. im not sure i could definitely answer.

i think given that EVHs are basically fender custom shop and it carries the EVH brand, i think theres a lot of marketing involved in that price tag. i thikn fender and gibson custom shops overprice too high for what they are, however, their work is truely quality. meanning, i thikn dollar to price ratio on a standard model music man is better than on a fender custom shop or EVH.

if i could take either one free, id take the EVH. why not.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
On the music man website there are some comments that the quality of the axis has gone down in 2014. Then again some people say a carvin guitar is just as good as an axis for much less cost too. Some people say the EVH wolfgang USA really holds up well in a varying climate like I live in.

I've been playing an acoustic for a year now...am interested in led zeppelin, van halen, pink floyd. Not sure what all in one electric i should get. I can afford the EVH, just not sure its buying me anything extra besides brand name.
Speaking as someone with guitars ranging from $500-3500, some of what a you buy as you go up in price is quality materials, quality control and craftsmanship...but there is also an increasing percentage of that price that is the name on the headstock.

You can get KILLER rock machines for $700-1000 new, $400-800 used. For the most part, you're probably not going to find ONE guitar that will be perfect for all the genres you like to play, but some are more flexible than others.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I don't even know what constitutes the Led Zeppelin sound (excluding the matter of pedals and amp). Both a telecaster and les paul were used. Pink floyd i guess used a customized strat. I don't know if a customized carvin has any advantage over buying a mm axis sport in terms of all-in-one with choosing different pickups and what not.
Quote by rdglz
I don't even know what constitutes the Led Zeppelin sound (excluding the matter of pedals and amp). Both a telecaster and les paul were used. Pink floyd i guess used a customized strat. I don't know if a customized carvin has any advantage over buying a mm axis sport in terms of all-in-one with choosing different pickups and what not.

perhaps you need to ask yourself what constitutes your sound rather than others. Dannyalkatrazz is correct in that really no one guitar does it all. honestly you'd be hard pressed to even get 2 guitars to cover everything "perfectly". I'd decide what my priorities are and go from there. for the record Page used way more than those 2 guitars for recording which makes it tougher to nail Zep studio tones for every song. this can be said of most bands so once again you kinda got to pick your battles there.

I've played both the EVH and MM guitars and don't find a huge difference between the 2.
Quote by rdglz

But I've read some stuff where people think the EVH is a lot better than the Music Man Axis in almost every way which is a guitar I'm kind of leaning towards buying.

Anybody got some experience with the Wolfgang USA?

I've played with the Axis and the EVH, and really don't find that one is "better" than the other. As DannyAlcatraz has already pointed out, money really doesn't tell you if you're getting a better guitar or not. Logos can be very expensive.
All those bandstand listed are mainstream "classic rock" bands, and, while they each used different amps, I think you can get close enough to all of them by opting for something that delivers very clean tones that you then modify with pedals.

For me- admitting I'm no amp guru- the list of amp brands I'd look at Fender, Vox, Peavey, Carvin and Mesa/Boogie. If you're looking more for some of their heavier tones, maybe a Jet City or Orange. (And as a personal preference, I'd go with a tube combo amp.)

On the guitar front, consider the biggest decision will be between a guitar with humbuckers vs one with singlecoils. And yes, some have a mix.

Then there's the question of hardtail vs tremolo. For the most part, I'd advise most people to start with a hardtail, just to keep things simple and to save some money. But one of the most iconic designs in guitar history- the Stratocaster- is almost always equipped with a tremolo. Even the Stratclones made by other companies are usually made like that.

Just remember, there are very few, if any, right answers- this is mostly about personal tastes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

We know you like classic rock; help us help you by telling us what you think your budget is.

Isn't that what the PRS p22 is basically about -- all in one (acoustic, Fender, Gibson) sounds?

Willing to spend up to $3000US for sound versatility, tuning stability, and lifetime reliabililty (warping?). Not interested in brand name, looks, ...has to be reasonably comfortable playing sitting down, ex. don't like gibson explorer but les paul okay.

I like Zeppelin, U2, van Halen, Pink Floyd,...mainly Zeppelin and U2 tho.

Doesn't have to be exotic woods, but I live in a variable climate. piezo bridge a luxury, probably the acoustic sounds from the p22 are not recordable.

Vox ac15 amp?

I know nothing about electric guitars, been using a $200 acoustic for a year now to learn.
Last edited by rdglz at Dec 12, 2014,
There ARE guitars that do credible jobs at covering more bases than others, like PRS, Parker, Reverend, a couple of Fret-Kings and the Variaxe. Most, you'll pay a fair chunk of change for. (While I intend to own a Parker & PRS at some time, I'd have to say that Reverends as a brand deliver more tonal options than most under $1500.)

Guitars with coil-splitting HBs or mixed pickup configurations* also cover a broader tonal base...how well they do so largely depends on the quality of the pickups.

* HSS and HSH are the most common, but you'll also see HS, H/P90, P90/SS, etc., any of which may also have piezos in them. And/or coil-splits in the humbuckers.

$3000 will get you a seriously good setup with an amp, 1-2 guitars and some pedals all essentially of pro quality.

For example, that Vox AC15, partnered with a HH and a HSS or H/P90 guitars, plus a good tuner, fuzz, reverb, chorus, wah, distortion could easily be assembled for that price.

Where do you live? I ask because it will help us cull options that may not be available at a good price where you are.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 12, 2014,
Gotta run to the store...check back in later!

Dspellman knows his stuff, so if he says something while I'm gone take it seriously!

Edmonton Alberta, Canada. Variable climate eg. -30 to +30 celcius. mostly dry, although occasionally humid.

Thought the EVH wolfgangs USA hardtails have special features (double truss rods?) to protect against climate. Want something that works and doesn't need setup. Seems the Eddie van Halen stuff (MM, EVH, etc) has a good no nonsense philosophy (eg. low strings just avoiding buzzing, ...) Then again, Carvin could offer the essentials at a fraction of the cost. I don't want to spend $ just for the sake of spending. A Carvin is half the price , and I'm not sure its any less of a guitar than a MM axis or EVH.
Hell, I don't even know what a Jimmy Page Les Paul actually is. Is a reissue 59 that costs a small fortune even something that resembles a vintage late 50's Les Paul. The wood sourcing, pickups, even the basic craftmanship is not reproducible? If I got a Carvin CS4 ($1000), is that so different than a custom shop R9 ($6000) from Gibson in sound and quality?
In no particular order:

1) setups are something ANY guitar might need from time to time or right out of the box, so that isn't really a factor. It's great if a guitar arrives perfectly set up when you unbox it, but it's not really an indication of how the guitar was made, just what was going on when it got packed. A guitar that REPEATEDLY needs setting up, OTOH, is another matter.

2) Heritage is a good company. They were founded by ex-Gibson employees, and they tend to keep things old-school...but with better QC than is typical of Gibson of late.

3) Carvins kick ass, and are a great buy for the money. They're well-made- the factory is in San Diego- and stunning to look at. Historically, the big knock on them has been the quality of the pickups: adequate, but not up to par with the rest of the guitar. I have been told by dspellman and others, though, that their current pickups are as good as or better than most. The California Carved tops are sweet, but I've been looking hard at the SH550...

4) Agile has a similar business model to Carvins, but compete at a slightly lower price tier. Still, their top of the line guitars are good enough that those who own them stand by them

5) Godin, a Canadian company, is also worth considering. All of their guitars are made in Canada, with excellent QC. I have played a few in stores, and regret not buying each one- I kept getting ninja'd!

6) 3 brands I HAVE bought guitars from that I have loved are Fernandes, Electra and Reverend. Fernandes is aimed at harder rock genres, but Electra and Reverend make excellent guitars aimed at everybody else. My Electra Omega Prime is a great LP clone with a pedigree going back to the 1970s*, and I have found Reverends to be among my most tonally flexible guitars.

* Electra was a Japanese maker whose Led Paul clones were used by major stars of the 1970s, like Peter Frampton. They went under, but 2 industry veterans resurrected the company in Florida a couple years ago, buying the designs and company trademarks, logos...everything.

I've got the MIJ EVH Special.

It's a killer guitar and a lot better value (IMO) than the US ones.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I've got the MIJ EVH Special.

It's a killer guitar and a lot better value (IMO) than the US ones.

Yeah, but they're not made in Japan, any more?

Anybody got a 2014 MM axis? Still the same high quality guitar as the older ones?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
In no particular order:

1) setups are something ANY guitar might need from time to time or right out of the box, so that isn't really a factor. It's great if a guitar arrives perfectly set up when you unbox it, but it's not really an indication of how the guitar was made, just what was going on when it got packed. A guitar that REPEATEDLY needs setting up, OTOH, is another matter.

2) Heritage is a good company. They were founded by ex-Gibson employees, and they tend to keep things old-school...but with better QC than is typical of Gibson of late.

3) Carvins kick ass, and are a great buy for the money. They're well-made- the factory is in San Diego- and stunning to look at. Historically, the big knock on them has been the quality of the pickups: adequate, but not up to par with the rest of the guitar. I have been told by dspellman and others, though, that their current pickups are as good as or better than most. The California Carved tops are sweet, but I've been looking hard at the SH550...

4) Agile has a similar business model to Carvins, but compete at a slightly lower price tier. Still, their top of the line guitars are good enough that those who own them stand by them

5) Godin, a Canadian company, is also worth considering. All of their guitars are made in Canada, with excellent QC. I have played a few in stores, and regret not buying each one- I kept getting ninja'd!

6) 3 brands I HAVE bought guitars from that I have loved are Fernandes, Electra and Reverend. Fernandes is aimed at harder rock genres, but Electra and Reverend make excellent guitars aimed at everybody else. My Electra Omega Prime is a great LP clone with a pedigree going back to the 1970s*, and I have found Reverends to be among my most tonally flexible guitars.

* Electra was a Japanese maker whose Led Paul clones were used by major stars of the 1970s, like Peter Frampton. They went under, but 2 industry veterans resurrected the company in Florida a couple years ago, buying the designs and company trademarks, logos...everything.

Not sure about Godins access to the higher frets...plus the weird added circuitry.

What about the versatility of the Burstbucker Pro pickups in the Gibson - Explorer 120th Anniversary. Supposed to give you les paul tones plus be suitable for metal too? Hate the shape of it but tonal trumps all.

The MM Steve Morse Y2D is cheaper than the axis. Why is that?
Quote by rdglz
Yeah, but they're not made in Japan, any more?

Anybody got a 2014 MM axis? Still the same high quality guitar as the older ones?

not that i know of.

look into an American Peavey Wolfgang. i have two and am extremely satisfied. on par with the fender and EBMM ones.

i paid $400 for one and $350 for the other. they are older and not overly possible, bt its worth holding in your hand.

if i were to be buying a guitar from EBMM i LOVE the JP's
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Tone doesn't trump all- COMFORT trumps all. If you don't like the way a guitar feels in your hand or against your body, you shouldn't buy it.

Things like pickups can be swapped out. Those, for instance, are readily available:

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Gear-IM59B-NH-Burstbucker-Bridge/dp/B0002H013C

Quote by trashedlostfdup
not that i know of.

look into an American Peavey Wolfgang. i have two and am extremely satisfied. on par with the fender and EBMM ones.

i paid $400 for one and $350 for the other. they are older and not overly possible, bt its worth holding in your hand.

if i were to be buying a guitar from EBMM i LOVE the JP's

Wolfgang specials made in mexico now.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Tone doesn't trump all- COMFORT trumps all. If you don't like the way a guitar feels in your hand or against your body, you shouldn't buy it.

Things like pickups can be swapped out. Those, for instance, are readily available:

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Gear-IM59B-NH-Burstbucker-Bridge/dp/B0002H013C

Yeah but surely the Gibson les paul is not famous because of comfort.
There are 3 things to remember:

1) Les Pauls got their start in an era in which there really weren't a lot of competing designs.

2) Les Pauls almost got discontinued- they were not the most popular guitars at the time- but were revived when Slash played a Goldtop copy on and after Appetite For Destruction.

3) Not everyone is the same- some actually DO find them comfy! Personally, I don't own any Gibsons, LP or otherwise, but I DO have 4 LP clones.

Quote by rdglz
Wolfgang specials made in mexico now.

i may not have been clear, i probably should have commented clearer, i was saying as far as i know they are MIM,

the US models i was referring to Peavey Wolfgangs. i have two USA Peavey Wolfgangs and they are solid guitars. i like the them better than the fenders to be honest, but the EBMM EVH was the best of the three, i have played all three.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
On a whim, I just purchased online from a local music store:

EVH Wolfgang Special (Made in Japan) still stocked in their warehouse

for $979.99 cdn

Tobacco Burst

"The EVH Floyd Rose tremolo unit is the first ever signature Floyd Rose tremolo bridge.

The EVH Wolfgang guitar is built in Japan to Eddie Van Halen's exact specs and has every single feature of the Wolfgang guitars he himself plays onstage and in the studio. It's exactly what he uses."

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Good axe! Remember, when it arrives, we want pictures and a review!!!

Quote by dannyalcatraz

1) Les Pauls got their start in an era in which there really weren't a lot of competing designs.

2) Les Pauls almost got discontinued- they were not the most popular guitars at the time- but were revived when Slash played a Goldtop copy on and after Appetite For Destruction.

Les Pauls DID get discontinued, because their sales sucked, in 1960. Done, dead in the water. A few rockers picked them up, but it was Clapton and "Beano" that brought them back from the dead. And it was a reluctant return on Gibson's part -- they famously had ads that said, "Okay, you win..." and then they didn't even bring back the guitar that most people wanted (full-size humbuckers and a burst finish) until about 1970. The first ones in '67-68 were P90 guitars in a full-blown humbucker era, and the next ones were Epiphone minihums, both on gold tops (in which most people weren't particularly interested). If you wanted full-size humbuckers, they were available only on the Custom, but the friggin' Custom was, at first, only available with low, tiny frets.

The revival went well for a few years, but the '70's and gunslinger guitar pushed the LP aside again, as "your dad's guitar." Slash and AFD (he wasn't playing a gold top, though, but a Derrig burst copy) revived not only the LP, but Gibson as a company (Henry and his buds bought the company for a song because it, too, was suffering from "your dad's guitar company" syndrome). Slash deserves anything they pay him <G>.
Thanks for the correction!

Hope you like the MIJ!

They are a killer guitar for the money.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb