Greetings! I'm buying a new guitar, there are two models with same specs, but the only difference is in the pickups. Guitars are Jackson KVMG(Q) and KVQ Pro Series King V. KVMG(Q) has EMG 81-89 and KVQ SD Distortion SH-6 TB-6. Which pickups are better?
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitars/king-v/models/pro-king-v-kvq-ebony-fingerboard-transparent-amber/
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitars/king-v/models/kvmg-pro-series-king-v-ebony-fingerboard-black/
It's entirely a matter of personal preference.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I'd get the one with duncans, purely because it looks more badass. You cant really go wrong with any of those two, although it is kinda weird that the SD ones has the same pickup in both positions. But as far as i know, both are good for metal, and people tend to hate on EMG's on this board. They say they sound compressed and sterile. I have them in both my guitar, and i like them.

EDIT: oh yeah, the emg 89 can actually be coil split, but the guitar doesnt seem to have any controls for that. You could get a push pull pot, or rewire the switch if you wanna use that. It would give you some more variety in your sound options.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Last edited by gorkyporky at Dec 12, 2014,
I ended up switching from an exclusive EMG player to a passive (and mostly SD) player so my opinion based on that (and I think the one with Duncans is far better looking) is go with the one with the duncans.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
You have to play both through the same amp and see which you like better, as it's only a matter of preference. Obviously a lot of metal players use EMG pickups but there are many who play passive too. You'll find someone playing pretty much every pickup out there (Mark Morton jams on a set of '59s, which I find weird).
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Or at least he used to - has his own signature pickup now.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Get the sunburst one. Pickups can be changed later anyway. The burst one's way cooler.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
EMG's will be more even across the freq ranges but more gainy. Lots of people think they are generally great for any application if you can't find a passive that suits the guitar. I like the SH-6 though. Got one in my 86 Jackson Soloist that I swapped for some EMG ZW 81/85s and I think the bottom response is much better than the EMGS and I haven't lost anything else in the mids or top end freqs. I like the Seymours better...... for now....
Deffinitely the quilted transparent amber w/ duncans. Like Cath said you can always change the pickups if you dont like em.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
There's probably going to be a significant difference in sound between the two, I'd say try them or at least do some research. EMGs seem to be a very love-or-hate option.

Although personally I completely disagree with the orange one looking cooler, the finish doesn't fit anything on the guitar imo, and the zebra pickups look utterly out of place. I'd take the black one any day, it looks tight, elegant and badass. But that's aesthetics I guess which is purely subjective.
The black one looks cheap IMO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Duncan Distortion was the weapon of choice for Randy Rhoads.

I have four guitars loaded with EMG's three 81/85 and one 81/81 with 18v mod and afterburner, fire and brimstone that one is!

I have two guitars loaded with Duncan JB/JM one of those JBs is a custom shop hand wound by the legendary Maricela Juarez it has a hand stamped sticker on the back with her code(JB-J) which screams way better than the assembly line machine wound JB.

I have this custom shop Maricela Juarez Duncan Distortion that I have yet to load into anything yet...

I was outbid on this pickup on ebay my high bid was $60 I know these hand wounds go for $100 or more but that was all I had at the time, two weeks later the guy who out bid me had it listed because he didn't realize it was not F spaced, his winning bid was $90 and I got it from him for the $60 I bid the first time around
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I'd get the quilt top although I agree the zebra coils look out of place, but I already own a solid black 1993 Jackson King V so that may have something to do with my choice, I do love that quilt top tho!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by gorkyporky
I'd get the one with duncans, purely because it looks more badass. You cant really go wrong with any of those two, although it is kinda weird that the SD ones has the same pickup in both positions. But as far as i know, both are good for metal, and people tend to hate on EMG's on this board. They say they sound compressed and sterile. I have them in both my guitar, and i like them.

EDIT: oh yeah, the emg 89 can actually be coil split, but the guitar doesnt seem to have any controls for that. You could get a push pull pot, or rewire the switch if you wanna use that. It would give you some more variety in your sound options.

KVMG has a push pull pot, and that's why I like KVMG more than KVQ.