Hello !

So a few days ago while trying to write something for my band, I began playing these chords E major, G major, A major. now the strange thing is it sounds good, but when a played a solo over that chord progression, it sounded off, however when I played an E pentatonic or some notes from a E minor scale, it sounded good.. what sorcery is this?

The part should fit in a G Major scale.

I hope somebody know some theory stuff, I'm very interested is learning what is going on ! ^^

I want to know if I have made a mistake in thinking the part is in the key of G major, or is there a scale that is "working the best" when playing those three chords

Regards
Allan
Last edited by Kyouma at Dec 12, 2014,
It's in E Major.

You can borrow chords from the minor key as well.

The G chord, which doesn't belong in the key, is off of the b3 scale degree in E major. This is a very common chord to borrow from E Minor.

The reason E pent. sounds good is because you are generalizing the progression to a giant E triad.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Look at the chord tones. E major = E G# A; G major = G B D; A major = A C# E.

G major scale = G A B C D E F#

As you may notice, it doesn't have G# and C# in it. That's why it doesn't work that well.

The key you are in is E major. Just listen to it. Try to find the home chord. If you loop the progression, E major should feel like the home chord. It's a I-bIII-IV progression in E major. Playing E minor pentatonic over E major works because it's just bluesy. There's only one note that clashes with a chord and that's the G. But playing a minor third over a major chord just sounds bluesy.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thank for your reply, I think I have the grasp of the magic between these chords, scales that can be used and the theory behind it.

Thank you again
Does Gmajor sound like "home"? If not (read: it shouldn't), then why are you using a Gmajor scale over it?