This is my second build, and first ever bass guitar. Apologies for the blurry pictures.
The body is pine because I had some lying around. I figured since early Precision basses were made of pine, it should be alright, plus it's light and easy to work with.

The glued planks are planed to thickness with this router jig

Plywood body template, based on the Fender Dimension bass.

Routing the body outline. I should probably have taken more off with the saw. It's best if the router removes as little material as possible.

Cutting the truss rod channel along the straight edge. I accidentally bought a truss rod that was too long, so this will be a 22 fret neck.

Rough-cut neck and fretboard blank.

Fretboard glued and trimmed

Fretboard radiusing jig. Radius is 10 inches.

Inlays are made of a pen cut into slices and plugged with a dowel. Glued into place with epoxy.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 12, 2014,
Fretboard after sanding to 600 grit

Frets installed with a nylon-faced hammer. Don't use a regular hammer or you'll leave dents and scratches.

Routing the neck pocket

Test fit

Neck is attached with M5 bolts and threaded inserts (not shown). The heel is much larger than I thought it would be. I might cut it down to size later.

Starting the body contour

Contouring with a rasp

Tuner holes. I didn't have a large enough drill bit, so I made a circular template for the router.
Tusq nut

Aligning the bridge

Pickup routs. Sloppy but it'll be hidden under the pickup (which is a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound, if anyone's interested)

Control cavity

Rough carving the neck. Started by making 45 degree angles, then gradually blending the sides into a rounded shape

Here's the bass as it is now. It still needs to be finished, and have the nut filed properly, but it's mostly functional.

I will update this thread as work on the bass continues.

Any suggestions on what colour to finish it in? I'm thinking purple, or maybe orange.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 12, 2014,
wow very nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice build! I'm desperate to build a bass, but I'd be worried to screw it up since I've never tried doing any woodwork at all.
BTW, you should paint it green because Pine is an evergreen tree
Looks good, assume you're going to lacquer the hell out of the fretboard with it being softwood.
You make it look so easy from the build pictures, guessing there's a lot more work gone into it than you've shown......
I'm still new to building guitars so I didn't want to buy expensive parts for a bass that might end up being an unplayable piece of junk. The bridge and tuners are korean-made, and I got a good deal on the pickup on eBay.
The bass is finally finished. Couldn't find a good shade of orange at my local store so I went with a purple-violet kind of thang. Finishing took a long time because it was too cold/wet/windy to spray. I used acrylic primer, nitro colour coats and acrylic clear laquer, then wet sanded from 1500 to 2000 and buffed with car polish.

LESSONS LEARNED:
-Sanding prior to finishing is important. Don't assume the paint will cover up dents and grain patterns. It won't.
-You always use more paint than you think you need.
-Spraying against the wind is no fun
-It's better to be patient and spray many thin coats than to spray too much and have to fix paint runs.
-Many clear coats (16-20) are necessary and it's very easy to sand through them into the paint, especially on the edges.

I hope you can all learn from my mistakes. Thanks for reading.
That looks very nice. And thank you for sharing the build.

I hope you enjoy using it.
Nice stuff sashki. Can't wait for your next project
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
wow that looks badass

the purple is really nice too, not sure the orange would've been any nicer
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dam these are both nice, the guitar and the bass, what do they sound like, excellent work.
Last edited by ayreon77 at Aug 7, 2016,
I'm impressed that you had the guts to take on something this ambitious.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
This is epic !
I wish I could make my custom one day...
Paint the back of the neck and the headstock and it will be perfect ! If you want you can also
paint the fingerboard in a very light blue or gloss it to be even more unique ?