So my youngest son (10 years old) is asking for a set of drums for Christmas, so my wife and I got him a used set at what we felt was a good deal. We both want our kids to enjoy music and we encourage them to play any instruments we can get our hands on. We talked about a electric set and while it would be quieter around the house we wanted the acoustic set for the sound and so it can grow with him. I know he will need to expand it as he gets better but not sure what else he might need.

Here is what we got a Eclipse 5 piece acoustic set.
Bass Drum 22"
2 mounted Toms 12" & 13"
Floor tom 16"
High Hat 14"
Cymbal 16"
Throne
Drum sticks

Everything has the stands and hardware to set it up. We got a extra boom stand for a crash cymbal just need to find one at a good price. I thought about replacing the heads but as a new players I'm thinking let him beat the crud out of these and replace them in a few months.

So other than a crash cymbal what should be our next item?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by warhawk77 at Dec 15, 2014,
I'd say the only thing you're missing from there is a ride cymbal - they'll generally be 20" or larger in size. You could maybe also add another crash cymbal (likely another 16" or 18"), to put on the other side of the kit, kind of above the floor tom
Thanks for the info I will be looking for a ride cymbal. Can't wait to give this to my son so he can start playing. Not sure who is more excited about Christmas coming me or him.
I agree 16" does not a ride cymbal make (insert Yoda voice here). Maybe an "effect" type cymbal like a splash maybe if he's into regae / ska or a china if he's into the heavier stuff. Another option would be to add to his "stick bag" brushes, rakes, thunder sticks. Something to consider when you do buy new heads. Most "starter" kits like the one you've got come with a single ply head on the bottom of each tom. This always sounds really bad to my ear! Consider replacing top and bottom with the same 2 ply head when you do it. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Evans makes some awesome heads!
Definitely needs a ride. Don't bother with another crash right now, the 16" is fine and you can add an 18" later. If the 20" ride is thin enough, he can use it as a crash.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by warhawk77
Thanks for the info I will be looking for a ride cymbal. Can't wait to give this to my son so he can start playing. Not sure who is more excited about Christmas coming me or him.

What did you end up getting?