Hey guys, I must be going mad with this but I don't know. Ok so I have three guitars with active pickups and when I plug them in I'm expecting a ton of gain, but nope. Literally half the gain dissapears when I plug in any of these guitars. It's with EMG's and Blackouts, so I've got no idea what's going on.

I've plugged them into three different amps and changed the batteries to decent Duracell ones. Is it a characteristic of actives to do this?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Dec 12, 2014,
Have you tried raising the pickups? Actives like to be close to the strings.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Have you tried a different cable?

I'm no actives expert but if they are all doing it on every amp the cable is a common factor.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Will try these suggestions now!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
your bridge pickup put it really close to the strings and see if it changes things. So many guys disregard this but it makes a big difference if I was to get super technical on why.

for regular EMG pickups try the 18v mod by the way it makes EMG pickups more powerful. It increases clarity and gives you more "head room". There is a solderless version to this on ebay or you can do a DIY kind if there is a radio shack or something nearby.
Quote by Fisheth24
Hey guys, I must be going mad with this but I don't know. Ok so I have three guitars with active pickups and when I plug them in I'm expecting a ton of gain, but nope. Literally half the gain dissapears when I plug in any of these guitars. It's with EMG's and Blackouts, so I've got no idea what's going on.

I've plugged them into three different amps and changed the batteries to decent Duracell ones. Is it a characteristic of actives to do this?

*headscratch* -- are these all guitars that had actives installed at the factory?
I think youre over-expecting the amount of gain you should be getting with emgs. They have a lot of output, but they arent massively high output pickups that will all of a sudden give you a crazy distorted signal. Emgs are about clarity, eveness, and a fairly high output. To be honest, when I switch between my passive pickup guitars to my emgs, the biggest difference i hear is the emgs tend to be tighter, with a better attack, and a bit more clarity with gain. Emgs dont make my signal way more distorted. And remember- you probably dont need as much distortion as you think you need.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Forgot I even posted this thread, Robbgnarly hit it on the head, I have a pretty selective cable.

Thanks for the advice and idea's folks!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100