Sup.

So, I'm having this issue where I'll be playing and suddenly the volume will slightly but noticeably drop along with a very small bit of gain. My volume knob has also recently become really kind of lose and you can move it in a very strange rotational way. I don't know how to word it ;_;

I don't have actives in this particular guitar so a battery isn't the issue.

Anyone have any guesses as to what the problem is before I open it or try to find a shop?
ayy lmao
Cable unless it's a tube amp.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
This could be an easy answer.

so first to tighten the volume pot
pull the knob off
tighten it with the right wrench. Problem solved

for the swell question. I'll try to explain this as simple as possible.
So with a passive pickup equipped guitar they tend to use logarithmic potentiometers (A500K LETS SAY) and how they roll off the resistance of the potentiometer is going to be much more noticeable. You can loosen the potentiometer from the guitar keeping every solder still there to have 100% assurance to see if this is the case. If so your guitar is totally fine. There is actually graphs that explain how a logarithmic potentiometer works as opposed to linear (B500k) or anything along those lines. It's easy to search for on google too. I only use linear pots in guitars for this very reason.

however. If you want it to go up or down smoother increments there is two things to try
#1 - a Kinman Treble Bleed mod - it's so easy a beginner could do it
#2 - a linear potentiometer will do wonders.

here's a video explaining what the kinman treble bleed does. You can solder these parts on and you get a little bag of each for like 1$ each.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0SLdOWvz3c
Could be a bad tube if your playing on a tube amp, also could be cable or bad volume pot on guitar.
Without knowing what type of amp, all I can do is guess. But it sounds like what my Super Reverb did when I first got it. Play it about 10 minutes and the volume would drop as if you had pulled one of the power tubes out.

I talked it over with a friend who owned a vintage guitar shop...drool city if you ask me...and we had pretty much decided it was a bad output transformer. About $100 and that was 15 years ago...

So I started replacing capacitors while I waited for a good enough remodeling job to come along so I could afford the transformer. They were over 30 years old and dried out so they needed to be replaced anyway. Decided to go ahead and replace every capacitor in the thing along the way, probably $75 total spread out over a few months. Replaced the last of the "orange drops", polypropelyne I think, and it started working right, still works perfect to this day, played it last night at at gig.

Could also be a tube, if it's a tube amp, I don't know if transistors will act that way if it's solid state. So as far as I know those are the possibilities.

Tube
Transformer
Capacitor

So I'd say have the amp checked by a good amp tech, I doubt if anything on the guitar would cause such a problem. If a volume pot goes out it usually just goes. The one possibility in that respect would be a dirty pot, a couple of squirts with some good contact cleaner would fix that. Squirt some in the pot, work the knob back and forth a few times, check it.

I guess the capacitor in the tone circuit of the guitar could act that way if i went bad, I've never seen it happen, but wouldn't rule it out.

If that's not it, have the amp checked.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...