I'm enamored with the PRS SC58 guitar, which is kind of "their les paul." I looked around for prices, but they only make it left-handed via the private stock. $8,000.

I'm willing to spend $ on guitars. $4,000? Yeah, that's a lot, but not completely unrealistic for the right guitar. $8,000? Not a chance.

I'm sad.

I just wanted to vent a little. I envy all of you righty bastards
you to can become one of the "righty bastards" I'm left handed and after a year of struggling (back in the late 70s a time when a leftie guitar was near impossible to find) I said screw this and learned rightie. found it was much easier for me as my dominant hand is used for chords and single note runs. learning to pick with my right hand was pretty easy. just a thought
Quote by monwobobbo
you to can become one of the "righty bastards" I'm left handed and after a year of struggling (back in the late 70s a time when a leftie guitar was near impossible to find) I said screw this and learned rightie. found it was much easier for me as my dominant hand is used for chords and single note runs. learning to pick with my right hand was pretty easy. just a thought

Yeah, I've had that suggested before. It's just not going to happen. I've put in way too many hours working on my technique lefty to make the switch now. I'll just have to eat it and deal w/ the fact that I'll have to be a doctor before I can afford the guitars I want.
There are a LOT of guitarists who write lefty and play righty, and a lot of them have made the switch partway through their playing careers, and all of them have admitted it was nowhere near as hard as they expected, nor was it all that counterintuitive after a few months of practice.

With virtually every other instrument on the planet you really don't get a choice, and lefties thrive as easily as (or perhaps more easily than) righties. And they don't have issues buying instruments. Ain't no left-handed pianos.
Ha! You're backwards!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Three choices:
- Make the switch and play any guitar anywhere. I did and after one tough year I don't regret it.
- Play lefty on righty guitars- Jimi, Dick Dale did to good effect.
- Stay the course and limit your guitar selection to 1/1000th of available righty guitars.

Just pick one and run with it. It is what it is.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 12, 2014,
Ughhhh I regret posting this now. The temptation to go righty always pops up and it's such a difficult decision. I've been playing for 18 years. But I looooooove guitars and I'm so envious of right handed players. Ughhh.
Quote by dspellman
There are a LOT of guitarists who write lefty and play righty, and a lot of them have made the switch partway through their playing careers, and all of them have admitted it was nowhere near as hard as they expected, nor was it all that counterintuitive after a few months of practice.

With virtually every other instrument on the planet you really don't get a choice, and lefties thrive as easily as (or perhaps more easily than) righties. And they don't have issues buying instruments. Ain't no left-handed pianos.

Do you think it matters that I'm a more dominant lefty than most? For example, my brother and my best friend both write lefty, throw righty. I have friends who kick with their right foot, etc. I do everything lefty, except golf/baseball/hockey. I throw lefty, kick lefty, surf/snowboard goofy and fight lefty. I wonder if that would make the transition harder for me or not. I might buy a beater righty acoustic to give it a whirl, but I already have a few pretty expensive left handed guitars ...
If you play 3+3 rather than 6-in-line headstock guitars, it makes flipping them easier.

But yeah, pull a Hendrix and rock the guitar upside down.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by RyanMW2010
Ughhhh I regret posting this now. The temptation to go righty always pops up and it's such a difficult decision. I've been playing for 18 years. But I looooooove guitars and I'm so envious of right handed players. Ughhh.

18 years in as a lefty? Just flip em over and play on. Lots of guitars will work that way and you will create your own sound and look.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by RyanMW2010
Do you think it matters that I'm a more dominant lefty than most? For example, my brother and my best friend both write lefty, throw righty. I have friends who kick with their right foot, etc. I do everything lefty, except golf/baseball/hockey. I throw lefty, kick lefty, surf/snowboard goofy and fight lefty. I wonder if that would make the transition harder for me or not. I might buy a beater righty acoustic to give it a whirl, but I already have a few pretty expensive left handed guitars ...

doesn't matter. once again learning to pick with your right hand should be fairly easy. your idea of trying out a cheap acoustic might be a good idea. otherwise you're stuck. 18 years in is a long time.
Quote by RyanMW2010
Do you think it matters that I'm a more dominant lefty than most?

It doesn't. Every keyboard player has to learn piano the same way, regardless of handedness. And I learned to play classical organ, complete with heel and toe bass pedals with both feet. Tough stuff and a lot more complicated than guitar.

Like anything else, it's just a matter of developing the neural pathways ("muscle memory" is actually a bit of a misnomer). Where you *don't* have a choice it's simply a non-issue, so it really should never have been an issue with guitar, either. If left-handed guitars hadn't been available, you would have been just as talented with right-handed ones.
Quote by RyanMW2010

I doubt it really. My buddy is completely lefty for everything except music. I'm guessing it was due to what was around, his dad had right handed guitars and the drums he learned on were as well. He has never thought of doing either lefty and especially on drums can do some things that are really hard for right handed people due to had dominance and pretty much every lefty I've me is more ambidextrous than most righty's.
Quote by dspellman
It doesn't. Every keyboard player has to learn piano the same way, regardless of handedness. And I learned to play classical organ, complete with heel and toe bass pedals with both feet. Tough stuff and a lot more complicated than guitar.

Like anything else, it's just a matter of developing the neural pathways ("muscle memory" is actually a bit of a misnomer). Where you *don't* have a choice it's simply a non-issue, so it really should never have been an issue with guitar, either. If left-handed guitars hadn't been available, you would have been just as talented with right-handed ones.

Yeah, I started playing guitar without any instruction when I was around 10-11 and often grounded, lol. I found a righty acoustic, and just picked it up and started playing it lefty because that's what felt right. Before long, I was in pretty deep. I think I'll pick up a beater righty acoustic anyway, if only for my right handed friends to play when they come over. It's funny when someone who doesn't know that I'm a left-handed player comes over and first picks up one of my guitars. Their shock and confusion is really hilarious.
I learned on a righty guitar-then relearned for lefty because I wanted to. Then I started getting shoulder pain that kept me from being able to play righty anyway-I've gotten a lot better but I am proud to be lefty so I am not sure I'll switch back. Think about the proud heritage you are a part of! Jimi himself was one of us.
I dont think the dominant hand really matters in this case. I think even MAB is lefthanded, and he probably has the best techniqe in the world. Im also a lefty, and i do pretty much everything with my left hand, but i play guitar righty, and i dont feel like it held me back by any measure.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by RyanMW2010
I'm enamored with the PRS SC58 guitar, which is kind of "their les paul." I looked around for prices, but they only make it left-handed via the private stock. $8,000.

I'm willing to spend $ on guitars. $4,000? Yeah, that's a lot, but not completely unrealistic for the right guitar. $8,000? Not a chance.

I'm sad.

I just wanted to vent a little. I envy all of you righty bastards

Yeah, I was looking for a PRS too, but it's not easy to find outside US. My workmate is lefty too and we'd like to have one here in our labs and studio you can see in our videos .

Cheers man

Lukas Green