I feel like I asked about this before but I cant find the post for the life of me. anyway i plan on repainting my ibanez, and I'm not sure how to remove the little rings on the back of the guitar where the string goes through. ill attach a picture. I havent taken any of it apart yet so it could be obvious once I take the bridge off, but I was hoping someone else would know a little about this. thanks!

Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I don't know what the face of the guitar looks like, but generally, I use an allen wrench small enough to go through the face without trouble, but big enough to hit the tip of those Ferrules. Be warned, though they may take some paint with them as you pop them out. Just find the right size and tap them with a hammer. Anything the right size would work, of course, but allen wrenches are common.

I also haven't dealt with Ibanez's ferrules and don't know for sure their shape but ferrules tend to look like little bullets (to funnel the string through, but stop the string nut), In other words, they taper. You would need something bigger than the hole in the tip, but obviously small enough to get in through the face (and of course take the strings off).

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Dec 12, 2014,
As noted by RPD, the risk of damage to the finish is high. I would take a different approach, and try and get something under the edge of the ferrule. Maybe a pallet knife or even my fret pliers. I would also be using metal masking (aluminium drink can could work) to reduce the risk to reduce the risk of marring the finish.

Another way would be to screw a self-tapping screw into the hole in the bottom of the ferrule and use the screw as a handle to lever it out.

Or a destructive approach like using a hand reamer or drill bit in a handle to get some purchase on them and twist them loose. This, I think would be the way least likely to damage the finish, but you would likely have to buy some new ferrules.
Quote by RestinPeaceDime
I don't know what the face of the guitar looks like, but generally, I use an allen wrench small enough to go through the face without trouble, but big enough to hit the tip of those Ferrules. Be warned, though they may take some paint with them as you pop them out. Just find the right size and tap them with a hammer. Anything the right size would work, of course, but allen wrenches are common.

I don't really know that you can fully avoid paint damage, so I'd go with that, just be super careful how you go about it to minimize potential damage.

EDIT: I just re-read your original post, and if your goal is repainting, minimal damage to the back shouldn't be an issue, since a little sanding will level things out and your day should go merrily!
Last edited by IaraYael at Dec 12, 2014,
I've seen guitars whose ferrules just fall out once the string tension is gone, it's 50/50 whether or not they're glued in or otherwise tight fitting at all. I figured since he's repainting anyway, worst case is some paint which he already plans to remove comes off *shrug* Tapping them out seems the simplest option is all.
Last edited by RestinPeaceDime at Dec 12, 2014,
of the guitars with ferrules, i have got them by going around them with a razor blade to try to get them pop. if they do, good. if not listen to RestinPeaceDime's post.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
im planning on sanding down to the primer and repainting it white. if it chips dramatically ill use a tad of body filler or just ignore it altogether. its the back of the guitar after all....thanks!
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom