So I play solo often, and Im a beginner, but I want to add some texture to my songs, Ive youtubed advance strumming techniques and get guys saying down up up down, Im not referring to that, Im talking about palm muting, percussive snap, etc. What should I specifically youtube search to improve my style since right now it just sounds like a robot? Or what excercises can I do? Or a rythm dude to listen to and learn from? Thanks as always to anyone who replies.
Hey

I'd say it depends on your approach; if you wanna take lessons from a safe bet on that topic, go into Vickie Genfan youtube's video, they're pretty cool and well explained. On the other hand, practising songs from a band you love's going to sharpen your feeling on the matter, and that doing something you enjoy; for instance, i'm currently digging into Frusciante's style, that helps me a lot, but it depends on your taste as well.
Listen to A LOT of Dave Mustaine and Gary Holt's work. Learn how to palm mute insanely fast triplets if you're playing metal. Learn the guys' work I mentioned and you will improve greatly, some suggestions are Funeral Hymn, War Is My Shepherd, Bonded by Blood, and Children of a Worthless God by Exodus and Back In The Day, the whole Rust In Peace album (this is THE thrash guide for lead and rhythm playing!!!), and some other early Megdaeth stuff. It will definitely be touch and challenging at first, but trust me it made me such a better player!
Quote by NewGuy4673
So I play solo often, and Im a beginner, but I want to add some texture to my songs, Ive youtubed advance strumming techniques and get guys saying down up up down, Im not referring to that, Im talking about palm muting, percussive snap, etc. What should I specifically youtube search to improve my style since right now it just sounds like a robot? Or what excercises can I do? Or a rythm dude to listen to and learn from? Thanks as always to anyone who replies.

What sort of style are you looking to play? The answer will change a lot depending on the sound you're going for.

For the record, in advance, I'm willing to bet that PiercedBand's advice is irrelevant.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by NewGuy4673

Learn some Hendrix - Little Wing, Bold as Love, Castles Made of Sand, hey Joe, - that's really the starting point for opening up your rhythm playing to something other than straight boring strumming. His use of fills and bass lines really opens up the guitar and you can use a lot of it in other contexts. It's electric, but most of the parts can be played on acoustic.

Neil Young has a great percussive approach to solo playing - needle and the damage done, Old man etc. etc.

Dave Mathews has very percussive approach to rhythm as well.

Check out Monte Montgomery of you want to see how completely insane things can get ....

Bruce Cockburm - Slice of Life album - solo guitar and vocal - this is fingerstyle but he's amazing and you'll learn a lot by listening to that album - his rhythm work is incredible. .
Last edited by reverb66 at Jan 12, 2015,