Okay I am starting to experiment with arpeggios as my guitar teacher recommended and its unlocking a lot of different sounds for me. However I only really know a few places to play each one, usually starting on the 12 fret root note and following the same pattern that I learned for one chord. Is there any rule/method to learning tons of different places to use arpeggios?
You need to learn interval shapes, and chord construction (what intervals are in chords). Also octave shapes. Those taken together will let you make you own.

If you don't know intervals, you're in for a lot of additional work.

cheers, Jerry
Learn a few ways of playing each arpeggio starting on each string. There's only a few practical shapes really. Learn major, minor, diminished, maj7, m7 and dom7 arpeggios and you'll be fine.

The maj13 chord is a fun one you can learn too. It's just a series of thirds going up 2 octaves and its repeatable.
I know most major chords are made with the first 3rd and 5th but it takes some thinking for me to know where the 5th is, etc. are there certain patterns i can look for so that if I am playing a note I know how to get to the 3rd and 5th, but on different strings?
If you learn the note names, it helps.

But yeah, it's a lot about muscle memory. You just have to play a lot and you'll remember where all the different intervals are. Check out some lessons about intervals and chord construction.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by hanginout
I know most major chords are made with the first 3rd and 5th but it takes some thinking for me to know where the 5th is, etc. are there certain patterns i can look for so that if I am playing a note I know how to get to the 3rd and 5th, but on different strings?

Check out http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/drastically_reduce_learning_time_with_intervals_part_3.html. Suggest you follow link at top of that lesson back to part 2 (and from there to part 1 maybe). Part 2 explains how/why interval shapes are as they are, whereas part 3 is a summary. Very easy to learn.

cheers, Jerry
the study of triad inversions will help in a few ways..chord location/construction..intervals..related chords ..scale fragments and arpeggios..plus learning the fretboard

take a C chord .. on strings EAD..3rd fret..notes GCE..(513).now move to the next inversion..same strings..the G (5) will move to the (1) note - C..The C (1) will move to the (3) note E..and the E note (3) will move to the (5) note G .. ok ..8th fret C-7th fret E..5th fret G..now find the next inversion using this formula..and on different sets of strings

hope this helps

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Dec 14, 2014,