Thinking about a new MIM Standard Stratocaster for the new year. I see that GC advertises a Starndard FSR that says it has classic pickups while the regular standard has standard Strat pickups. Would there be a difference in the pickups, or would they be the same? Both guitars are the same price. The FSR looks like the black Strat Gilmour used to play with a maple neck. FSR is not carried locally so I can't try before buying.
you'd need to email them to be sure. "classic" implies they might be alnico (the standard ones are ceramic, I think, which are hotter and more modern-sounding, the alnicos sound more vintage accurate), but then they might be hoping you think that when in fact they might be the same regular ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
shop around and see what else you can get that will better suit your needs. There is a lot of companies out there just as good as Fender that make strats where you won't have to change anything. My suggestion is Edwards (owned by ESP) they are the japan only market but gotta love ebay. That or see what PRS has to offer. The big concern with mexican strats is that all their pickups tend to have 60 cycle hum. This is that buzz you get in positions 1, 3 and 5 I don't understand how anyone puts up with it.

To The only production model fender I would buy without changing anything is the Yngwie Malmsteen models. Even the older ones have Dimarzio noise cancelling pickups. There is a few weird things for hardcore fender fans though the neck length is 25.5 not 24.75 which takes some time to get used to and the fretboard is scalloped. With low string action you don't even notice it being harder to play like all the kids who have played 2 or 3 guitars on here and think they know it all.

at the end of the day though alder is alder and if you really want to swap pickguards and stuff go for it. Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio for hum cancelling pickups. Locking tuners, schaller strap locks is a great start.
Quote by Tallwood13
shop around and see what else you can get that will better suit your needs. There is a lot of companies out there just as good as Fender that make strats where you won't have to change anything. My suggestion is Edwards (owned by ESP) they are the japan only market but gotta love ebay. That or see what PRS has to offer. The big concern with mexican strats is that all their pickups tend to have 60 cycle hum. This is that buzz you get in positions 1, 3 and 5 I don't understand how anyone puts up with it.

To The only production model fender I would buy without changing anything is the Yngwie Malmsteen models. Even the older ones have Dimarzio noise cancelling pickups. There is a few weird things for hardcore fender fans though the neck length is 25.5 not 24.75 which takes some time to get used to and the fretboard is scalloped. With low string action you don't even notice it being harder to play like all the kids who have played 2 or 3 guitars on here and think they know it all.

at the end of the day though alder is alder and if you really want to swap pickguards and stuff go for it. Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio for hum cancelling pickups. Locking tuners, schaller strap locks is a great start.

you find 60 cycle hum with any single coil pickups (except lace sensor and similarly designed). it's just part of the deal. there are things you can get like a Hum-X which takes care of that at the source (electricity). the yngwie strats are the same scale length as any other strat which isn't 24.75 don't know where you got that idea from. your know it all comment is really funny considering you just made a blunder info wise
Quote by Tallwood13
The big concern with mexican strats is that all their pickups tend to have 60 cycle hum. This is that buzz you get in positions 1, 3 and 5 I don't understand how anyone puts up with it.

Every guitar with single coil pickups (and certainly not just "mexican strats" is susceptible to some hum, and that's been true for maybe 75 years. And yet some of the greatest guitarists in the world through three quarters of a century and millions of records sold and millions of gigs played have managed to deal with it.

Quote by Tallwood13
The only production model fender I would buy without changing anything is the Yngwie Malmsteen models. Even the older ones have Dimarzio noise cancelling pickups. There is a few weird things for hardcore fender fans though the neck length is 25.5 not 24.75 which takes some time to get used to and the fretboard is scalloped.

I'm not sure why a 25.5" scale would be a weird thing for a hardcore Fender fan. That's been pretty much the standard scale for all strats and teles (and most other Fenders) since Leo started making them. Certainly a scalloped fretboard can be a surprise, since it's perhaps the only one sold by a major manufacturer.
check it out. 25.5 as clear as rain. I was surprised too at it actually years ago but weird stuff like that sticks in my head. (click specs)
http://intl.fender.com/en-CA/series/artist/yngwie-malmsteen-stratocaster-scalloped-rosewood-fingerboard-vintage-white/

yeah that is obvious for the every basic 2 wire single coil buzzing. I'm sure I made that obvious which was why I accentuated on hum cancelling pickups. The only reason they managed to deal with it was because nothing else was out there was always my theory on it. I like how David Gilmour to Steve Lukather all used EMG pickups after a while though on certain guitars. Not a fan of EMG at all but yeah. It's great people are realizing they don't have to put up with it. Noise gate pedals are amazing though if people know how to use them.

anyways....... did the original poster find something better than some MIM? I still say try ebay or a classified and find something with like lace sensor pickups in it or whatever. Why modify the pickups the second you get the guitar it's extremely taboo where I roll my eyes when people do it. It's like couldn't you have waited and found something better.
Have not decided what to get yet. Keeping my eyes out for sales. I am just a beginner and wanted to see if anyone knew about the pickups in these two models. I won't be switching pickups out right away, but I have heard the MIM is a good inexpensive platform for modding. I can get either one for $400 which I felt was a good price for a new MIM. I do like Strats as I have tried my nephews, along with his custom built Suhrs. My musical tastes run towards blues and 60's rock and felt the Strat would serve me well. Am also looking into the G&L Tributes.
Quote by Tallwood13
check it out. 25.5 as clear as rain. I was surprised too at it actually years ago but weird stuff like that sticks in my head. (click specs)
http://intl.fender.com/en-CA/series/artist/yngwie-malmsteen-stratocaster-scalloped-rosewood-fingerboard-vintage-white/

I think the only surprise here is that somehow you think that 24.75" is the normal Fender scale. I can't name a single model they've ever made at that scale length. 25.5" is standard for strats.
A stock MiM Strat or Tele would be a great guitar to both learn and gig with. I like the stock pickups just fine and it's pretty rare when I get in a room with unacceptable hum. Those nasty old cheap dimmers responsible for most of the pickup interference are quickly disappearing with the advent of affordable LED stage lighting. Remember that SRV, Jimi and Richie Blackmore always gigged with single coil Strats. A lotta epic concerts and platinum albums to their credit.

Don't overthink the written specs or internet scuttlebutt. Trust your hands and your ears.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thanks guys. I will go check them out and won't over think anything. Standard pickups in the MIM have always sounded fine to my ears when I have played or heard someone else play one. To me, they are very comfortable and I do like the appearance. I also really like the neck. Now is it gonna be maple or rosewood on a sunburst body?
MIM's in my experience tend to be ok,Slightly higher output and slightly less clarity but not bad.Currently looking to swap out the pups in my MIM Tele but they're certainly not awful,I've just out grown them.
I thought for the longest time all strats are 24.75 like gibson les pauls and SG are usually 24.75, all the strats (not teles or anything else) I tend to see on craigslist are 24.75. I'm no fender expert and the brand tends to bore me except for the anomalies where they step out of the 60s like the showmaster with the bubinga top and so forth. Anyone remember those.

the telecasters I find have a much fuller tone. I liked them a lot more than any of the 4 or so MIM fenders I had in my place swapping pickguards or pickups. Of all things aluminum picks made by Dunlop really brought this classic vibe squier to life. So a telecaster has my vote. Play both and see which you prefer because you're going to be playing it not us. But check out a bunch of other brands it doesn't have to be fender. Just have an understanding how to achieve such a tone. Like alder for this, ebony for that sort of thing.

for what it's worth though if you aren't getting enough clarity out of your strat try the fender greasebucket mod. Certain fenders have it like the american special, highway one and certain basses they make. The best use for it I found was for a personal guitar I have with a 19k (no kidding) bridge pickup and if i put the gain past 4 on a basic MG series it's got way too much treble. But I can roll it off as much as I want. When wiring it up think of it as just another tone knob. the parts are on ebay for like 2$ anyone can do it. This is the diagram. I usually re-wire tone knobs to this.

for a tele or 2 humbucker guitar this works best if you don't have a strat
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/tele-technical/17713d1229638341-new-take-grease-bucket-tone-grease-bucket-mod-jpg
if you are buying an MiM buy used. i went through a long time passing through strats, and selected with the one i have for $175. better than any of the others, even the HW1 i had. not compared to some MIA's though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Tallwood13
I thought for the longest time all strats are 24.75 like gibson les pauls and SG are usually 24.75, all the strats (not teles or anything else) I tend to see on craigslist are 24.75. I'm no fender expert and the brand tends to bore me except for the anomalies where they step out of the 60s like the showmaster with the bubinga top and so forth. Anyone remember those.

the telecasters I find have a much fuller tone. I liked them a lot more than any of the 4 or so MIM fenders I had in my place swapping pickguards or pickups. Of all things aluminum picks made by Dunlop really brought this classic vibe squier to life. So a telecaster has my vote. Play both and see which you prefer because you're going to be playing it not us. But check out a bunch of other brands it doesn't have to be fender. Just have an understanding how to achieve such a tone. Like alder for this, ebony for that sort of thing.

for what it's worth though if you aren't getting enough clarity out of your strat try the fender greasebucket mod. Certain fenders have it like the american special, highway one and certain basses they make. The best use for it I found was for a personal guitar I have with a 19k (no kidding) bridge pickup and if i put the gain past 4 on a basic MG series it's got way too much treble. But I can roll it off as much as I want. When wiring it up think of it as just another tone knob. the parts are on ebay for like 2$ anyone can do it. This is the diagram. I usually re-wire tone knobs to this.

for a tele or 2 humbucker guitar this works best if you don't have a strat
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/tele-technical/17713d1229638341-new-take-grease-bucket-tone-grease-bucket-mod-jpg

well I wouldn't put much stock on what CL says about anything . fender did a couple of guitars that are 24" like the Mustang and the Musicmaster. strats have always been 25.5"