whats good.. Quick intro: im tyler (21) 6 years on guitar, 2 on vocals and im looking to pick up bass now (a third instrument should keep my mind off cannabis) .. just trying to get some information from any experienced bassists on the basics of bass guitar to figure out how simple picking it up would be.. I have done no research into it so far, but I would assume this is going to be a much easier process than for someone who doesn't know any stringed instrument. I love playing heavy rock riffs, its an amazing feeling.. I play a shitload of red hot chili peppers songs and get to feel the riffs on guitar.. but I also need to start going hard like flea for the full experience .. so if u have bass experience and possibly a little guitar experience as well, please post any opinions below:
Yeah, guitar background definitely helps. The notes on the fretboard are exactly the same (you just have less strings). They have same techniques. You can play the bass with a pick, you can play the guitar with fingers. Slapping is pretty much a bassist technique so if you want to learn to slap, I'm pretty sure it's a new technique to learn.

You need to learn to play the bass like a bassist, not like a guitarist. Stuff that works on guitar may not work that well on bass and the same the other way around. So listen to what the bassists in your favorite bands do. Groove is an important thing. Playing flashy stuff doesn't usually sound that great. It's a bit like drums - you don't want to play fills all the time and the stuff you play has a lot to do with rhythm. It shouldn't stand out too much. Bass is rarely the solo instrument in the song and you need to know when to play and when not to play. Great bassists can play really tasty stuff but they still keep it groove based. And also they know when to play those tasty fills and what to add to the groove not to take too much space. I think it is better to play less than more when it comes to bass. Too complex bass part can ruin the groove. But a simple bass part will always work.

I would recommend joining a band. Bass is a fun instrument to play in a band and it also teaches you a lot about how it works in a context.

But yeah, you will have no problems with the technical side of things. Of course it feels a bit different in your hands. If you are into RHCP, you pretty much have to learn to slap. And it's a new technique and will of course take time to learn, just like any guitar technique you have learned.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ yeah, pretty much. i started on guitar too, and still am mainly a guitar player.

also it might be worth asking this in the bass forum- or even just do a search because I think this thread comes up in there about once a week
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, pretty much. i started on guitar too, and still am mainly a guitar player.

also it might be worth asking this in the bass forum- or even just do a search because I think this thread comes up in there about once a week

yeah I was gonna but the vocals and drum forums were the only ones that popped up
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yeah, guitar background definitely helps. The notes on the fretboard are exactly the same (you just have less strings). They have same techniques. You can play the bass with a pick, you can play the guitar with fingers. Slapping is pretty much a bassist technique so if you want to learn to slap, I'm pretty sure it's a new technique to learn.

You need to learn to play the bass like a bassist, not like a guitarist. Stuff that works on guitar may not work that well on bass and the same the other way around. So listen to what the bassists in your favorite bands do. Groove is an important thing. Playing flashy stuff doesn't usually sound that great. It's a bit like drums - you don't want to play fills all the time and the stuff you play has a lot to do with rhythm. It shouldn't stand out too much. Bass is rarely the solo instrument in the song and you need to know when to play and when not to play. Great bassists can play really tasty stuff but they still keep it groove based. And also they know when to play those tasty fills and what to add to the groove not to take too much space. I think it is better to play less than more when it comes to bass. Too complex bass part can ruin the groove. But a simple bass part will always work.

I would recommend joining a band. Bass is a fun instrument to play in a band and it also teaches you a lot about how it works in a context.

But yeah, you will have no problems with the technical side of things. Of course it feels a bit different in your hands. If you are into RHCP, you pretty much have to learn to slap. And it's a new technique and will of course take time to learn, just like any guitar technique you have learned.

Thanks man nice charvel btw
Quote by Dave_Mc

and I cant really go without saying that nickelback headline is the funniest shit ive ever seen
^ yeah I actually quite like older nickelback, but I just had to sig that

Quote by stratm4ster
yeah I was gonna but the vocals and drum forums were the only ones that popped up

yeah i can never get the search function to work as well as i like either
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A few things:
1) Don't let your thumb creep up on the fretboard EVER. You're playing bass. No reason for your thumb to be there.
2) Decide whether you want to use a pick (in which case, you need like 2mm picks) or to use your fingers. Both methods have different tones, but using a pick may be a bit easier for a guitar player.
3) 99% of the time, you should NOT be palm muting. I say 99%, because it can be a cool effect to do it very briefly, if the bass is playing on its own.
4) GROOVE, GROOVE, and MORE GROOVE.
Quote by stratm4ster
whats good.. Quick intro: im tyler (21) 6 years on guitar, 2 on vocals and im looking to pick up bass now (a third instrument should keep my mind off cannabis) .. just trying to get some information from any experienced bassists on the basics of bass guitar to figure out how simple picking it up would be.. I have done no research into it so far, but I would assume this is going to be a much easier process than for someone who doesn't know any stringed instrument. I love playing heavy rock riffs, its an amazing feeling.. I play a shitload of red hot chili peppers songs and get to feel the riffs on guitar.. but I also need to start going hard like flea for the full experience .. so if u have bass experience and possibly a little guitar experience as well, please post any opinions below:

I play both, it's alot of fun!

It's fairly easy to pick up if your already decent at guitar.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

2) Decide whether you want to use a pick (in which case, you need like 2mm picks) or to use your fingers. Both methods have different tones, but using a pick may be a bit easier for a guitar player.

I would say learn both. A good bassist can do both. It's about the sound you are after. Sometimes you have to play with fingers to make it sound right. And some parts sound better with pick.

I would actually say fingers work for almost anything (even for stuff that pick would also work) but pick only works for certain stuff.

I use a 1.0mm pick and I think it works just fine. It's the big Dunlop Tortex triangle shaped pick and it is stiff enough. Doesn't feel floppy at all. I actually tried a 1.9mm pick and it was way too heavy. I didn't like it. But yeah, the triangle shape is great for bass playing.

Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
i still let my thumb creep up for teh vibratos

also i just use my guitar picks. granted they're 1.5mm. seriously, though, agreed that it's handy to do both. I basically made a concerted effort to be able to play with my fingers, since my picking is ok from guitar. I'm no great shakes yet, but I can do it ok now for most not-too-bass-heavy songs I'd say.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

(Invalid img)

Not so sure about this slightly more unorthodox grip, though. I might give it a while before I try this one.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

(Invalid img)

Well, tbf, Wooten can get away with that because he's like the best bass player of all time.
that's kind of what i meant, if it's ok for wooten it's ok for me
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A peeking thumb like the first isn't a problem either, only the full wrap like the second can be bad if it happens too much because injuries are no good. Wooten very rarely wraps his thumb like that (only during teh vibratos and the such).
As I said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?