Hi! I'm hoping you guys can give me some expert advice on a guitar repair/customization job I just had done, that went terribly wrong ...

So earlier this year I bought a Gibson Gothic II Explorer from 2006, in ok but not great shape, that I wanted to have refurbished and turned into my dream instrument basically - a 1976 reissue style explorer with a tremolo. I was going to get a white pick guard, chrome hardware and Gibson pickups to mount myself but for the refurbishing, paint job and pearl logo (the gothic has sort of an off-white decal) I decided to invest in the work of a luthier. I went for an officially licensed Gibson repair shop too, so I thought it was a safe bet.

Now please take a look at a photo of the new headstock:

The logo is so far left that the letter G is actually half covered when the hardware is mounted. When I called the guy, he said this was due to different sizes of headstock overlays and that it had been impossible to tell beforehand ... Can this be true? Would there have been no way to do this properly? I already paid a lot of money and I'm seriously freakin out right now. Also the serial number on the back completely vanished under the paint which seems odd to me and not the least bit comforting ...

I'd really appreciate any type of input on this.

Best regards,

Joe
Last edited by expl0rer76 at Dec 13, 2014,
No.

Tell your "luthier" it has to be right.
And of COURSE there was a way to make it right in the first place.

Shame on him.
yeah he screwed up and he knows it. Ask for a refund or to fix his mistake.

if you can and you're still pissed I'd report him to Gibson and see if they can take his certification or whatever away. My friend is an amazing tech and he's thinking about going with a fender certification first oddly enough.
Agreed. The service you paid for was not provided, and further, you have suffered a measurable loss at his hand. You have a common law right to have the issue rectified or to be compensated.

Put it in writing, seeing he didn't respond positively to your first verbal insistence. Emails CC'd to a legal firm can work miracles.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Doofus had PLENTY of room to do it right!

Not photoshop, but the point is pretty clear.
Plenty of room, the guy is a moron. Get compensated. I am not sure if it could be fixed at this point, considering that he already thinned the headstock at the site. Maybe it could be filled with wood again, resanded, and moved to the side. Awful!
I'd probably take him to small claims and have him pay for a new neck, this is simply ridiculous.
Hey guys, thanks so far for backing me up on this but I'm afraid the obvious "enough room to the right" argument is not going to help me, as apparently the legit way to do this kind of job is to replace the entire headstock overlay - not just cut a hole and place a logo inlay ...

He is claiming that the original overlays provided by Gibson for repairs differ in size/shape from the headstock of my guitar which is why the logo ended up where it did (the closed b and o do look somewhat antique to me, I have not found any explorer with that logo on the internet)
Quote by expl0rer76
Hey guys, thanks so far for backing me up on this but I'm afraid the obvious "enough room to the right" argument is not going to help me, as apparently the legit way to do this kind of job is to replace the entire headstock overlay - not just cut a hole and place a logo inlay ...

He is claiming that the original overlays provided by Gibson for repairs differ in size/shape from the headstock of my guitar which is why the logo ended up where it did (the closed b and o do look somewhat antique to me, I have not found any explorer with that logo on the internet)

Well, sounds like he said the right way to do it is to replace the entire headstock overlay. Have him do that for you at no extra charge.

The dude seriously screwed up, no reason he shouldn't fix i at no additional cost.
u should insist on getting it right! there is nothing can discuss with...it's awful...feel so sorry about that...
He says it's not his fault and it couldn't be done differently because Gibson is not providing any other overlays. I really need someone to tell me for sure that's not true ...
Last edited by expl0rer76 at Dec 17, 2014,
Quote by expl0rer76
He says it's not his fault and it couldn't be done differently because Gibson is not providing any other overlays. I really need someone to tell me for sure that's not true ...

Call or email Gibson and send them a picture that "their" licensed shop did. I will almost guarantee they will make it right, either through that guy or another. But asking here will only get you some suggestions, not answers other than he did a hack job.

you can position the overlay any way you want to, so that is a BS excuse
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 17, 2014,
OK, even if Gibson provided the wrong overlay you have to be a total incompetent tool to do this hack job that he did. He was supposed to consult with you and show you what it'd look like.

And honestly, I've done quite a few stencils and in this case all you need to do is clamp the piece to be cut out just a big to the right, trace it in pencil even if there is doubt.

Awful...this needs to be reported to Gibson if it is a certified shop.
I personally don't know the entirety of the strict legality of all of this, but you are very much in the territory where you can call up Gibson, explain what has happened here and /or email them about this with pictures for proof. I am very sure that this is something that Gibson will not tolerate. You payed for a service that is under the Gibson namesake, and it was not provided as it should have been. You have the right to have this error fixed, and I'm sure at no additional cost other than your time in contacting them and getting it to wherever it need to be gotten to . A service provided that was not fully explained, or faulty is, legally speaking, in the territory of you being able to take legal action against not only the provider of the services himself, but also the company he works under and/or Gibson themselves. It would only be small claims, but its something that all parties involved would rather avoid if at all possible. Gibson will more than make this right I'm sure, just email them... hell call them up over the telephone (You know, that thing mounted on your wall that rings from time to time... most kids today don't even know what one is I bet lol; just joking with ya there). Anyways, yea that is a pretty big mistake on his part. You have the legal right to have that service rendered right, or have Gibson themselves explain why it can't be done "right"...
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Hey guys,

remember me? :-D

After numerous e-mail reminders (eventually threats) without effect, almost a year of waiting and now actual pressure from a lawyer, it looks like this whole thing might actually come to an end soon ...

This is a picture they just sent out to buy some more time (paint job coming up next)
Attachments:
headstock_new.jpg
Quote by expl0rer76

The logo is so far left that the letter G is actually half covered when the hardware is mounted. When I called the guy, he said this was due to different sizes of headstock overlays and that it had been impossible to tell beforehand ... Can this be true?

Boneheaded tech. Glad to see you got it redone.