Hi everyone, so I'm about to join a kind of classic rock/ 90's alternative band. We're planning on covering artists like the Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, RHCP, Rise Against, RATM, and Jimi Hendrix. I've been wondering what kind of pedals I should use for these covering these artists. Right now I have a Dunlop Fuzz Face, a Crybaby Wah Wah, and a MXR Uni-vibe. Are there other kinds of pedals that I should look into (also my budget is between like $100-150)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What amp and guitar setup are you using?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Maybe a solid distortion and/or overdrive box? You won't want to use fuzz all the time.

Maybe a ProCo RAT if you want some basic, no-nonsense hard-clipping, or the EHX Big Muff if you want a thick, grungy sound. You might also want an overdrive for the Floyd and Zep stuff, maybe check out the Soul Food from EHX. If you play your cards right, you could get both the RAT or Muff along the Soul Food (or both the RAT and Muff).

If you don't want to get distortion boxes, maybe think about getting some modulation effects like a flanger or phaser. And delay and reverb are always a good choice.
Quote by Robbgnarly
What amp and guitar setup are you using?
I use a fender strat and a Blackstar ht club 40.
Deff go used and I'd get a Digitech Bad Monkey $25ish and a decent Chorus.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
EXH Big Muff, ProCo Rat, Mesa Amplifier
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Quote by Tulkas

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I play lots of classic rock, I set up a pedal board years ago with this line up:

Arion analog delay (set for one light echo)
Ibanez Phaser
tuner
Marshall Bluesbreaker (overdrive)
Ibanez SD9 distortion
Volume pedal.
A/B switch
I also have a Boss distortion pedal and a Planet Waves distortion, which I use when the Ibanez craps out.

Probably 90% o the time the only one I use is the overdrive pedal. The Phaser gets used maybe 2 songs a night at most, the distortion 2 songs at most, delay is always on. Overdrive pedal gets used almost every song that has a lead...and for a lot of the rhythm parts that need a dirty sound. I keep the Super Reverb amp set for a good clean sound. Usually we play at a very low volume, so that's not hard to do.

I use the volume pedal constantly, I'd be lost without it. I highly recommend one for every guitar player. Two reasons...

1. You don't have to stop playing to make volume changes, your foot can easily handle it.
2. No loss of treble when you lower the volume like the volume knob on your guitar does.

The reason is you're still using the full output of the pickups. When you turn the volume on the guitar down, the first thing it does is cut out a lot of the highs. Volume pedal eliminates that almost entirely, you're still getting full pickup output, just cutting down the signal that goes to the amp instead.

The A/B switch goes to both channels of the amp, so I can set one for a full sound and the other for a brighter sound. Opens up a lot more possibilities.

For band practice I usually only bring the overdrive pedal, and last night I drove off and forgot the pedal board. Already had volume pedal and overdrive in my wire bag, and had no problems at all, just the overdrive and volume pedal covered everything quite well.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Dec 14, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Deff go used and I'd get a Digitech Bad Monkey $25ish and a decent Chorus.

good place to start. your current pedals are great for Hendrix but won't cover some of the other stuff. you should think hard about a delay as well. your best bet is to see what tones you can get out of your amp and then go from there. an overdrive will help a lot fo a good base tone for many of the bands listed.

is your strat SSS or HSS? if all single coils then you might want to consider getting a 2nd guitar with humbuckers to cover things like Zep.
Quote by monwobobbo
good place to start. your current pedals are great for Hendrix but won't cover some of the other stuff. you should think hard about a delay as well. your best bet is to see what tones you can get out of your amp and then go from there. an overdrive will help a lot fo a good base tone for many of the bands listed.

is your strat SSS or HSS? if all single coils then you might want to consider getting a 2nd guitar with humbuckers to cover things like Zep.
yeah, the thing is though I don't have nearly enough money for a new guitar. I'm probably going to be checking out the big muff and soul food pedals though.
I agree with the "Bad Monkey" for classic rock. I play in a band that mostly does classic rock and while I have an assortment of older Ibanez pedals (TS9, TS10, Super Tube, Distortion Charger DS10 and others) these pedals are selling for crazy prices. The Bad Monkey is as good as a TS9 in my opinion and very cost effective. An overlooked Ibanez pedal that you can get cheap on Ebay is an Ibanez TS7. I bought one on Ebay about six months ago mint still in the box for $45.00. It has a switch for "TS9" setting and sounds really good. It also has those great "tone lock" controls that push back into the pedal so your settings don't get moved by accident.