https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfY5v6UkYlI&feature=player_detailpage#t=81

not the best example, but it works. my solos right now are more bluesy. What is it that he is doing in the video? its penatonic, right? How do I do those blistering fast solos while improving? thanks.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Bit hard to hear but I think I heard at least a few notes outside the pentatonic there. It did seem to be mainly pentatonic, though.

Just learn a bunch of stock rock and blues licks and then speed them way up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InISOY3ckEU&feature=player_detailpage#t=2009

here is another example, its all just really fast stock rock? where do I learn all of those? I know like 2. also, he goes up and down the neck. what level of skill would i need to play like this?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Yeah, it's just basic pentatonic licks played fast.

You just need speed. Learn some basic rock licks and learn to play them fast.

If you want to learn to play like that, learn to play the solo. Remember that speed comes over time. If you are interested in learning to play fast, you just need to practice it. Remember not to focus solely on speed, though. That just makes your playing sound really unmusical.

When learning fast stuff, start with slower tempo and then increase it once you can play it perfectly in a slower tempo.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Take ideas from other people. The pentatonic scale's only 5 notes but you can learn so much from emulating others and practicing improv to form your own.

If you want to improvise stuff that sounds good, develop your ear. There's loads of big and small lessons on that. If you develop your ear, you can hear a note, then find it on the guitar. A crucial tool for improv, think of Jimmy Hendrix when he sings along the notes he plays.

Fast playing comes with time. Focus on the sound, the speed will come if you are willing to practice.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
First there's a quote I see on a signature often that applies here.

Guthrie Govan — "If you steal from one person is Theft, and if you steal from Lots of people is Research"

Basically the bluesmen learned to play guitar by learning a few chords, the Minor Pentatonic scales, and jamming. They more or less stole their neighbors' licks and applied it their way. It's like the way I transcribe my own remixes for inspiration.

Remember Aeolian/minor is your friend and possibly the most versatile scale out there. Learn it and how to apply it in a melodic way. Good luck.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
The way you make your own solos sound like that is to learn how to play those solos, preferably by ear. (You may have to develop your own ear to get to the point where you can do that, or you may need to use slow-down software).

The music you create is going to be a function of the music you have internalized - the music you understand on a core, intuitive level. So dig in. Pick a solo that you like, and work work work to learn how to play it. Then pick another solo you like, and work work work to learn how to play it. Repeat a bunch of times.

And then, when it comes time for you to come up with your own solo, you'll be drawing from a pool that contains ideas from all of those solos you studied, filtered through your own tastes.
Quote by 457undead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InISOY3ckEU&feature=player_detailpage#t=2009

here is another example, its all just really fast stock rock? where do I learn all of those? I know like 2. also, he goes up and down the neck. what level of skill would i need to play like this?

that one sounded less like what i'd call "stock licks"

but the first one, yeah pretty much.

just look up youtube for "rock licks" or "blues licks". There are books available too (though they cost money, but amazon might let you look inside a bit of them for free).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T78IRNehjuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYCeW4OhfkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxDH8F0NaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufrpVAndYk8

(I haven't watched all of those vids so I'm not saying they're necessarily amazing, or safe for work, etc. etc.)

books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Lick-Factory-Building-Great-ebook/dp/B00GQZQ7SW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418587678&sr=8-2&keywords=lick+factory

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Licks-Encyclopedia-Styles-Masters/dp/073901109X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418587691&sr=8-1&keywords=300+rock+licks

(you can look inside at least a bit of those for free)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I thought some of the blues/classic rock stuff was ok. But there was definitely a bit towards the end where it felt a bit like that, yeah. I wonder if it depends on how familiar you are with the specific material? I found some bits better than others, and maybe it was just that I was more familiar with the stuff I found "worse"
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I thought some of the blues/classic rock stuff was ok. But there was definitely a bit towards the end where it felt a bit like that, yeah. I wonder if it depends on how familiar you are with the specific material? I found some bits better than others, and maybe it was just that I was more familiar with the stuff I found "worse"

That's possible. I may be due for a re-read myself. I just remember that when I bought it I said, "I'm not memorizing all of this", and then when I got halfway decent at melody construction I paged through it again and said "this is literally just a bunch of patterns."

I guess the moral of the story is, learn how to construct your own solos. It'll be far more rewarding than just Scotch-taping licks together.
Yeah, I guess.

I still think if you're pretty new though that getting a few of the very popular licks under your fingers can be handy. rather than just faffing about in the dark.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CarsonStevens

I guess the moral of the story is, learn how to construct your own solos. It'll be far more rewarding than just Scotch-taping licks together.

I don't want to actually plan out solos, I want to be able to improvise them with speed. There seems to be some conflicting opinions on what to do, and it's kind of confusing.

Would the solos I linked be in shredding territory? I'm honestly not sure because I don't listen to metal.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead
I don't want to actually plan out solos, I want to be able to improvise them with speed. There seems to be some conflicting opinions on what to do, and it's kind of confusing.

Would the solos I linked be in shredding territory? I'm honestly not sure because I don't listen to metal.

Yeah it just sounds like pentatonic licks played obnoxiously fast.
^^ I don't think it's conflicting, both methods work, and maybe even a mixture is best. I have plenty of stock licks under my fingers (well, two anyway ) but I don't just scotch-tape licks together (I don't think ) like he said, either. and improvising is sort of stuff you already know, too, just done in a way that sounds new(ish).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ I don't think it's conflicting, both methods work, and maybe even a mixture is best. I have plenty of stock licks under my fingers (well, two anyway ) but I don't just scotch-tape licks together (I don't think ) like he said, either. and improvising is sort of stuff you already know, too, just done in a way that sounds new(ish).

Definitely. I was not disagreeing at all, just simply stating what I heard from the video.

When I solo I try not to tape licks together either, I try to get in tune with my inner ear and play what I'm hearing in my head.. But a lot of the times it is more or less licks and melodies that I "know" but often they are broken up, played over different beats, etc. in ways that I have never played them before.

I think this is normal though.
Quote by 457undead
I don't want to actually plan out solos, I want to be able to improvise them with speed.

That's not what I said.

Whether you compose a solo ahead of time or improvise it on the spot, you use the same techniques; it's just that when you're improvising you do it as you go along. The principles of constructing the melody are the same; you're still harmonizing to chords, using passing tones, building tension & release, etc. You'll definitely need to at least know how to transpose them into the key you're playing in and how they fit together in a greater context.

However, if what you're doing is "Clapton lick #1 into Page lick #3 and close with that thing from Spanish Castle Magic" it's going to sound, well, like that's exactly what you did, and you'll be back here in six months complaining that all of your solos are "boring" and "sound the same".
^ Yeah.

Quote by ouchies
Definitely. I was not disagreeing at all, just simply stating what I heard from the video.

When I solo I try not to tape licks together either, I try to get in tune with my inner ear and play what I'm hearing in my head.. But a lot of the times it is more or less licks and melodies that I "know" but often they are broken up, played over different beats, etc. in ways that I have never played them before.

I think this is normal though.

Yeah I think so (and same here). My post was to 457undead, I wasn't disagreeing with you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
kind of an old post but i still don't get how I can go into these really fast improv soloing like this, what should i practice/do? I don't want to play the same solo at all I just wanna be able to improv like that. I know all of the modes + pentatonic patterns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5uF5amAzBuQ#t=83
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Last edited by 457undead at Feb 25, 2015,
You need to put your guitar down, believe it or not.

The thing is, your guitar doesn't play music - you do. That means it doesn't really matter how many scales, patterns or licks you know if there's nothing in your head that you're trying to get out.

Chances are the guitar is actually getting in the way a little bit, because instead of thinking about the sounds you want to create you end up moving your fingers through a well drilled pattern and hoping something good comes out. The result is everything sounds the same and you just end up running on autopilot.

If you want to create interesting, listenable solos then it starts with you the musician, not your instrument. Put the guitar down, put on a backing track and listen , listen and compose a solo in your head, singing or humming it is a great way to do this and ideally record what you're doing - Eddie Van Halen used to hum ideas and record them all the time.

You need to give yourself an idea first before you start constructing something, might not be very interesting or complicated but everybody needs to start somewhere. Once you have an idea in your head of the sounds you want, then you can go to the guitar and start finding the notes that were in your head. Remember the guitar is just a tool, an outlet for your ideas - it can't create music for you.

Just have a read of this article

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/the-incredible-way-michael-jackson-wrote-music

Michael Jackson was a musical genius, he could play a bit but couldn't read or write music so he would compose an entire song in his head, drums, bassline, guitar and keyboard parts - he'd just have to sing the parts out to people so they could play them. You don't need to be Michael Jackson but it really is a great illustration of how the musician is the most important part of making music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com