Hi all,

I'm playing a Fender Jazzmaster through a Vox AC4TV amp and it's really great, except that sometimes I would really like a clean tone (at some volume) and the amp just doesn't seem to be able to deliver that. Seems like it gets drivey at even the most minimal volume.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to get a nice clean tone out of this thing? Or should I just switch it for something else? And if so... what else is nice and small and light and great?

Thanks!
Mike it up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah I have one and the only way to get clean and volume is running it through a PA. Mine has the Bitmo 3 way gain switch which helps but it still gets dirty at any real volume, it's just how it is. Rolling off the volume on the guitar helps but really you aren't going to get a very loud clean tone out of a 5 watt tube amp.
I have one too .... the best clean is with the watts on 4 and volume less than half .... that's about as good as it gets ..... you might be able to put a clean boost pedal on it and get it better ...... clean is not the "beauty" of a 4 watt amp , dirt is
Quote by Fumble fingers
I have one too .... the best clean is with the watts on 4 and volume less than half .... that's about as good as it gets ..... you might be able to put a clean boost pedal on it and get it better ...... clean is not the "beauty" of a 4 watt amp , dirt is

I doubt a boost will help, I can get almost zero clean at any acceptable volume (including bedroom) with my C-1 classic with JB/'59. Has to be tele or the classic coil split.
that is exactly the issue with low wattage amps and cleans. mic as stated or look for a higher wattage amp, i am not talking about a 100watt stack, just something with more headroom. that satisfies your definition of clean.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for all of the replies. Mic'ing up is probably the way it sounds like, but I reckon i'm going to upgrade to one of the bigger Vox ones.

Thanks again for the help.
If you Google ac4 mods there are some cap changes that cleaned mine up at higher volumes had my amp tech do them for me took about twenty mins total worked very well if you wanna go that far.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals