I just bought a Squire Affinity Strat. I was wondering since it came out of the box should I take it in and have it setup? When you get a new guitar should you immediately have it setup if you don't know how to. That is the one reason why I bought the Squire so I could learn how to adjust it. I also have a Epiphone Les Paul 100 and Yahmaha acoustic. I have Line 6 Spider IV 30 watt amp, POD and footboard. I had them for several years but now I have been playing for 4 months straight. Any help will be greatly accepted.
There are thousands of guides on the internet that show you how to set a guitar up. It's something you should know how to do yourself. Google is your friend.

Guitars usually do need a set up right out of the box, but paying someone to set your guitar up is a waste of money.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I never really appreciated a setup for the first 3 or so years believe it or not. Played for hours each day and I never really saw a change. But then I got more serious learning alternative picking and so forth you really do appreciate it.

however that being said this guys excellent for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDunpnRKdUY

you have to buy one thing.. this case a feeler gauge . intonation and having the neck a certain way are key. Stewmac.com has some great books and video tutorials. The biggest piece of advice I can give someone is to get the right allen key set as there is two different kinds.... and.. most importantly don't eyeball stuff, use a feeler gauge at an automotive shop. Don't over turn. Do small increments and always use the right allen key.

funny story while I'm here.. so I bought an LTD EX50 about a year ago and it was practically brand new in fact the photos are somewhere on my account ((rewired to passive electronics). I got it with an EMG 81/85 set of pickups for 150-ish with a gigbag on craigslist which at first I thought was an insane deal like is this guy stupid. Took it home and everything was flawless on it. Needed a setup but then I took the trussrod cover off! the trussrod nut was stripped like the idiot used a flathead screwdriver. Probably sold it for 80 or 100$ with the cheapest pickups on the planet in it and sold the emgs for another 150$ but still let that be a warning why it's important.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 13, 2014,
We have a great setup guide right here on this subforum, it's on the sticky at the top of the page.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I knew I came to the right place for advice. I do send a lot of time watch YOUTUBE getting advice on playing and setting up. Since I did not spend that much on it I will try setting it up myself. I will let you know how it goes. The reason why I have been playing 4 months straight now is I broke my ankle in august what a good time to pick it up again. :-). I really do enjoy playing not good at it just enjoy learning how it fits what it takes to be a guitarist. it is a lot harder than most people think. I took piano lessons that is not has hard. Then unnatural why the finger and wrist are formed. Sorry went into la la land. again thank you.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There are thousands of guides on the internet that show you how to set a guitar up. It's something you should know how to do yourself. Google is your friend.

Guitars usually do need a set up right out of the box, but paying someone to set your guitar up is a waste of money.

I pay a tech to do a good initial setup on any guitar that's new to me. I have the frets superglued and have him give it a run on the PLEK machine if it needs it. I start with a guitar that has absolutely level frets.

I "waste" that money because I start out with a guitar that's absolutely to my spec from the get-go. The PLEK analysis phase can be saved (its a computer file) and compared to an analysis a few years later, and we can see how and where the neck is moving (if at all) and we can bring things back to that original specification almost exactly.

After that, I handle routine setup adjustments on my own. There's a good starter book called "How to make your electric guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine that will tell you the right way to set up your guitar. It's maybe the best $20 you'll spend on your guitar, ever. There's a LOT of misinformation among the YouTube videos out there. Remember that anyone can set up a smartphone and do a video, but it doesn't mean that they know what they're doing.

If you're going to do your own setups, get some decent tools to do the job. "Rules of thumb" and makeshift bits and pieces will get your guitar to a reasonably playable shape, but you CAN have a guitar that's a dream to play if you finish the job.
^

What you're describing isn't the same as a setup though.

I define a 'setup' as restringing the guitar, adjusting the truss rod, action, and intonation. Not supergluing or levelling frets, because in those cases you're making more permanent modifications to the guitar.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 14, 2014,
I tend to pay for an initial setup too.I can do the basics like restringing,adjusting action via the bridge,swapping out tuners etc (Have totally dismantled a Tele and swapped parts out and put it back together and it played fine) but i don't like messing with the neck myself(lack of confidence after bad experience when i was a beginner).I just like to know that a pro has set it up for me to begin with.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Dec 14, 2014,