Hey! I am really look for a versatile guitar. And when I say VERSATILE, I mean VERSATILE.
I am looking for a guitar that can play a lot of different types of music. I want to get a guitar that can last me a while, so I'm willing to spend about $450 to $700. i was thinking of buying a MiM Tele and putting a Curtis Novak Jazzmaster for Tele in the neck and a tele humbucker in the bridge. But I'm not sure how this will work. As for sound, I'm going to play post-metal and indie rock. Think Brand New meets My Bloody Valentine and Panopticon. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should get, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm in Texas. Currently have a cheap Peavey acoustic and a Jaguar VM HB Bass and VM Bass VI. Also looking New.
Last edited by aaroncmendoza at Dec 14, 2014,
Howdy, neighbor!

AFAIK, there's really no such thing as a guitar that can deliver EVRYTHING on your tonal wish list, at least, not in that price range. But we can still aim for hitting most your target tones.

I can think of a few ways to go for flexibility on a budget. Mainstream guitars like HSS Strsts; HSH Superstrats; LPs or SGs with coil splittable HBs are easily found in your price range, new or used. A little more unusual are things like P90/S/S, HB/P90, or singlecoil/miniHBs.

Looking at that list, all but Cormorant seem to use P90s or singlecoils most of the time, and P90s can deliver some pretty beefy tones.

I'd recommend:

1) G&L Tribute Fallout or ASAT Jr (also, a used USA version might be found)
2) Electra Omega (used)- it has HBs that are splittable, and is a well-made LPclone.
3) Godin Core P90, Richmond Belmont, or Empire (either version)
4) Reverend* Double Agent, Buckshot, Jetstream 390, Warhawk 390, Charger 290, Manta Ray 290 , Sensei RT, Sensei 290, or Rick Vito signature (hardtail, used)

* A note on Reverends: they all have a feature called the bass contour knob. That allows you to shape your guitar's lower range like you'd use the tone knob to shape the higher range. The result is that most Reverends can cover huge tonal territory. A fellow UGer once declared his Jetstream HB could out-twang his partscaster. I own 4 Revs, and they're more flexible than any other guitar I own.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 14, 2014,
Quote by aaroncmendoza
Hey! I am really look for a versatile guitar. And when I say VERSATILE, I mean VERSATILE.
I am looking for a guitar that can play a lot of different types of music. I want to get a guitar that can last me a while, so I'm willing to spend about $450 to $700. i was thinking of buying a MiM Tele and putting a Curtis Novak Jazzmaster for Tele in the neck and a tele humbucker in the bridge. But I'm not sure how this will work.

Know how it will work before spending the money.

My most versatile guitar is my Variax JTV 89F. The "F" stands for "Floyd Rose trem" and a standard 89 doesn't have one.

The guitar itself is a stinky fast 16" radius 24 Jumbo fret neck with a satin finish on the back and a straight-pull headstock. 25.5" scale, mahogany body, great balance and comfort. Pickups are slightly hot (Line 6 sees it as the "shredder" variant of the three basic models in the current line) and there's a basic quad of knobs.

Two of the controls are volume and tone, the other two make it far more versatile than any standard guitar. There's a piezo pickup in the bridge (the Floyd model has a Graphtech LB163), and those individual pickups feed the Variax electronics built in. In addition to the magnetic pickups, there are something like 25 different guitars and other string instruments modeled in the electronics, and they've done an amazing job. Strat, tele, LP and ES-335 models are outstanding when played through a standard guitar amp. Bang on. The jazz box models are surprisingly good. The acoustic guitar models need to be played through a wide-range PA type speaker system; a guitar amp is going to make them sound muffled and odd. And they're not designed to sound like an acoustic guitar in a room, but rather a miked acoustic (you can actually edit the mike placement in computer software and feed that to the guitar), and they nail it.

Need to downtune or play slide or use an open tuning? The downtuning library built into the guitar (and selectable with the "tunings" knob) should be a metalista's dream. The factory gives you everything down to a Baritone on the knob, but you can change the tunings much further (and save them if you like, overwriting the factory presets). If you want to play bass on the guitar, you can. Here's the kicker: String tension Never Changes. It's all done with individual string pitch replacement. In other words, you have to be plugged in/amped/on headphones to hear it. What's great about that, however, is that you can bend and use vibrato and even toss that Floyd around in tunings that would absolutely prevent any of that if you were doing it with a guitar specifically set up for that tuning. Better yet, you can go back to the mag pickups and standard tuning in an instant. If you've got a floor-model Pod, there's actually a way to store amp, cabinet, FX, guitar model and alternate tuning in the user preset of the Pod and change it all with a single stomp.

So, do you need a VERSATILE guitar or do you really just need a random ordinary guitar that can do a couple of things?
pickups will get us so far. At the end it's inductance, resistance and EQ that contribute to the particular tones. Different picks help too. But don't forget the wiring. The most diverse wiring is the Jimmy Page wiring you can do practically anything with it. There is a few things I don't care for it what it does but essentially it gives you 20-ish guitar tones. Unless you are as good at soldering as some of us are on here it's a real headache to do.

a good amplifier or a guitar processor go a long way too and finding the right string material (not brand) jazz guys prefer this kind, metal guys that brand so finding a nice in between helps immensely.