Page 1 of 5
I have a friend who wants to be a musician and shit but absolutely refuses to look up even the simplest things in regards to music theory. He has played guitar for 7 years and when I ask him to do a C#m chord he asks which one is that. I think he really needs to at least learn this simple, literally take 10 minutes out of your day, kinda thing but nope. He always cites Thom Yorke for some reason because Thom Yorke doesn't know notes either? (i think this is wrong)

I know some people here like making songs and stuff, how in depth is your knowledge of music theory?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by sashki
You don't need to know music theory to write your own songs, but refusing to learn because your idol doesn't know any is stupid.

especially when your idol is thom yorke
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
It'll take away a lot of guesswork to say the least, and save you time in the long run. If you like music and guitar then you should strive to know all there is to it and not refuse just because it's boring or troublesome.
Last edited by fffplol at Dec 14, 2014,
lol
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Um, YES
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Theory as a whole tries to describe and define the relationships between intervals heard in music. Read that sentence again. The intervals heard in music.

Theory describes what is heard, it does not prescribe what is to be played. Some people are auditory learners. They learn best by having something told to them, or by hearing audio playback of the subject matter. It is no surprise that many of these auditory learners become musicians. If you can figure out how to make sense compositionally of 6 strings and 22 frets just by listening to the tones for a little while, you'll be miles ahead of the game when your physical technique comes into its own.

The evidence that theory can be learned and understood by ear alone is right in front of us. Any famous musician who was not formally trained in music was still able to play with just about anyone. Music theory is a universal language of music that all proper musicians understand. Whether they know the language by ear or by book, the proof is in the pudding and they can play, and play well. They can communicate effectively with their instrument and are able to do so in a group setting with other musicians who do know theory.

Jimi Hendrix had no formal education in music theory, but he was still one of the most brilliant and innovative musicians of all time. This little tidbit of information is what fuels most of the "I don't need to know theory to play incredible music" movement. The problem with this movement is that Jimi Hendrix did know theory. He just knew it by ear, and by practice and observation. Though he may have never known about modes and how to describe key modulation, he understood the concepts.
Quote by Trowzaa

But really, learning how to play chords isn't really theory. Just basic knowledge of playing the guitar.

Learning how to play chords is one thing

Learning how they're constructed is another
ayy lmao
ya like obviously you need theory it's like trying to build a house without knowing architecture
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
ya like obviously you need theory it's like trying to build a house without knowing architecture

Or trying to build a really muscular body and skipping leg day
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
no it doesn't matter

you're not debussy or something you're just wanking out power chords and pentatonic shit

you'll manage
i don't know why i feel so dry
Theory isn't a requirement, but damn if it isn't incredibly helpful.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by eGraham
Or trying to build a really muscular body and skipping leg day

honestly most important day right there
it's all coming back

Quote by chookiecookie

Precisely this.
Quote by Baby Joel
honestly most important day right there

I would know cause my nickname around these parts is "The Dench Instructor"
it's all coming back

no but i mean at least get familiar with the notes on the fretboard
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
no but i mean at least get familiar with the notes on the fretboard

ehhhhh

i don't really know where most notes are but i prolly know more theory than you shape up kid
i don't know why i feel so dry
It doesn't hurt but it's not essential. I'm a guitar major at my community college and I'm being offered significant scholarship money to go to 4 year schools, and I'd say I'm fairly knowledgeable in theory, from modes to borrowed chords to sonata form to counterpoint etc etc.

Joshua Garcia is a far better guitarist than I am and I don't think he knows any theory at all (feel free to correct me if this is wrong Josh)
Last edited by Shotgunmerc at Dec 14, 2014,
Do you need to know grammar and spelling to be a writer?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I don't know about being a musician, but I don't know theory or modes or chords or scales or any of that stuff and people tell me I'm good all the time, so I guess it's not impossible.
Only if you want to be a professional.

Let him do what he wants, we need less competition anyway.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
I will never understand the drive to not know things.

Quote by Neo Evil11
Do you need to know grammar and spelling to be a writer?

jus right wht u feal
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Dec 14, 2014,
Quote by StewieSwan
Well, for me, I can't say I have any since I'm already playing at where I want to be.

Though, I might learn eventually simply because I like the idea of being a guitar teacher of some kind.
Quote by StewieSwan

jus right wht u feal

QED
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Shotgunmerc
Joshia Garcia is a far better guitarist than I am and I don't think he knows any theory at all (feel free to correct me if this is wrong Josh)
Oh hey, yeah, see, I- wait.......

OH GOD NOT JOSHIA GARCIA!
It's good to at least be able to identify notes and know scales. But learning to read sheet music and identify complex chords, not really.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You're mnting.

I don't know what you're talking about
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
I don't know what you're talking about

strong contender for boty right here
it's all coming back

There is academic theory (in which you know the labels, terms, etc) and then there is intuitive theory (you intuitively have a sense of the functional components of music). If you don't at least have intuitive theory, you will never be a successful musician.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by JustRooster
Theory isn't a requirement, but damn if it isn't incredibly helpful.

These.

In my limited experience of 8 years, learning basic music theory was actually the thing I used most as a musician

I learned that:

Admittedly I'm still shit at the last one at anything faster than 90 bpm but nonetheless, theory was what taught me that.

Make your friend learn theory.
        A poem.
        Quote by yoman297
        no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
        if nothing else, at least learn chord shapes & the notes of the fretboard. i mean, you do not have to learn all the scales & modes or be able to read music, but if you don't know how to play C#m you are a real blockhead.

i think i read on wikipedia once that thom yorke did not bother to learn how to read music -- which doesn't really matter for guitarists, i think it was in the context of piano/keyboard in radiohead's music -- & this in contrast to johnny greenwood who is scoring films & shit. i bet you anything thom yorke knows how to play C#m on a fucking guitar.

Quote by Thom Yorke wikipedia page
        Yorke, unlike the other members of Radiohead, has never learned how to read music. He said, "If someone lays the notes on a page in front of me, it's meaningless... because to me you can't express the rhythms properly like that. It's a very ineffective way of doing it, so I've never really bothered picking it up."

there, i checked.
        Quote by StewieSwan

It's called being lazy
        Quote by DisarmGoliath
        Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
        Page 1 of 5