Hi everybody!
I've recently bought an epiphone les paul standard and it has a lot of fret buzz, some imperfections on the painting (under the glossy finish), and the fret board isn't really smoth on the sides :/
So I'm wanting to know is it normal to have this imperfections?
Now I'm going to return it to thomann and I don't know if I should get the same model (it could just been bad luck) or other guitar. I saw the Yamaha pacifica 120H is it better (in quality and sound) than the epi.?

P.S. I like the sound of the epi.
I hear mostly metal and rock hard/soft

can you help me? I have to decide before the return time runs out
sadly those issues do happen with import guitars (not just Epiphone). if you like the guitar otherwise then just take it to a tech and have it setup properly. a little filing will solve most of those issues and isn't that big of a deal. good setup should solve the fret buzzing.
so it isn't regular on a epiphone les paul standard ebony?
sorry i guess i wasn't clear :S the damages didn't happend during the trip it came well packed
probably just a lemon. i haven't tried them for a while but when i last tried them, i'd have said an epi les paul standard was a step up from the 120H (I haven't tried the 120H but I've tried the 112V, which is the HSS version of the 120H I think- presumably the quality level is the same, or at least broadly similar).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
at tbe end of the day the power and aggression for metal comes from our hands, mind and soul.

the tragic truth is for even gibsons how mass produced they are and everyone thinking it's a winners brand where everything they touch turns to gold it happens a lot. I know lots of guys who are in their 50s who have completely given up on gibson all together. Me personally unless it was a really thick bodied les paul (1.5 inches) and I only played standard I'd keep the les paul.

A Jackson , washburn , PRS, Schecter , Dean, LTD or bc rich is more metal in shape and features. But understand what goes into the guitar and brand will mean nothing. Mahogany over alder , 25.5 scale is ideal, avoid maple fretboards. Besides that the specs are all up to you and your preference.

for your epiphone you would need to:
the frets leveled and dressed - expensive but if you love the guitar I recommend it

try the yamaha and see what you can do. The last pacifica I had was made of agathis the 114j or whatever series and I really liked it actually. It had this warm almost mahogany tone to it and with the right pickups as this is the rare instance that I accentuate on pickups because 99% of people assume with the right pickups even a walmart guitar will sound amazing...but yeah .. on the pacifica I had the pickups wheren't high enough output.John 5 to Jim Root play fenders but they modded them so much they can actually play metal on them.
Quote by Tallwood13
at tbe end of the day the power and aggression for metal comes from our hands, mind and soul.

the tragic truth is for even gibsons how mass produced they are and everyone thinking it's a winners brand where everything they touch turns to gold it happens a lot. I know lots of guys who are in their 50s who have completely given up on gibson all together. Me personally unless it was a really thick bodied les paul (1.5 inches) and I only played standard I'd keep the les paul.

A Jackson , washburn , PRS, Schecter , Dean, LTD or bc rich is more metal in shape and features. But understand what goes into the guitar and brand will mean nothing. Mahogany over alder , 25.5 scale is ideal, avoid maple fretboards. Besides that the specs are all up to you and your preference.

for your epiphone you would need to:
the frets leveled and dressed - expensive but if you love the guitar I recommend it

try the yamaha and see what you can do. The last pacifica I had was made of agathis the 114j or whatever series and I really liked it actually. It had this warm almost mahogany tone to it and with the right pickups as this is the rare instance that I accentuate on pickups because 99% of people assume with the right pickups even a walmart guitar will sound amazing...but yeah .. on the pacifica I had the pickups wheren't high enough output.John 5 to Jim Root play fenders but they modded them so much they can actually play metal on them.

I was with you until you said "avoid maple fretboards" . why in the world would you say that?

OP I kind doubt your frets need to be leveled just crowned at worst and a little filing to smoth things out at the ends. your guitar just needs a good setup and that should solve most or all of your issues
Quote by spartaboss
Hi everybody!
I've recently bought an epiphone les paul standard and it has a lot of fret buzz, some imperfections on the painting (under the glossy finish), and the fret board isn't really smoth on the sides :/
So I'm wanting to know is it normal to have this imperfections?

It's *become* "normal," and that's true regardless of country of origin or even of the amount of money you spend, at least with a lot of production guitars. I'm seeing a LOT of guitars these days that seem to be "kits." I've walked into a tech's with a $4K brand new Gibson Axcess Custom and a $200 Agile AL-2000 Floyd B-Stock and had both tossed on the PLEK machine. In theory, the Axcess came from the factory already PLEK'd, but it had a Gibson Hump and was buzzing in the upper frets. The Agile had just one issue; it fretted out on two-stop bends above the 16th fret. Each cost around $200 (a bit more, actually) to have the frets superglued and a complete initial setup with PLEK.

Worth it in both cases, though it would *seem* to be a silly expenditure for a $200 guitar at first blush. In the end, both guitars played equally as well (and superbly).

If you get a guitar that CAN be set up well, and you like everything else about it, go with it.
thanks people
my issue is that I don't have anyone to set up the guitar and even if I find a luthier it's too expensive to do it. The question is should I send it to thomann (it's in the still in the first 30 days) fo r them to fix it/ send me another guitar?
Quote by spartaboss
thanks people
my issue is that I don't have anyone to set up the guitar and even if I find a luthier it's too expensive to do it. The question is should I send it to thomann (it's in the still in the first 30 days) fo r them to fix it/ send me another guitar?

Return it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend