Well, I noticed that it happens to me rather often where I'm listening to one piece of music and suddenly one phrase in it would strike me as very familiar from somewhere else, and sometimes I just can't seem to remember from where and it ends up feeling like a deja vu.

I was just listening to Clair de Lune by Debussy, and suddenly this very short sequence of notes reminisced me something else, which I assumed was Chopin, but I didn't remember what exactly. After half an hour I concluded that it was probably Fantasie Impromptu and I found this one second that probably sounded familiar to me.

The Debussy phrase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvUepMa31o#t=133

The Chopin phrase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APQ2RKECMW8#t=86

I'm not even sure how similar it really is (didn't inspect what exactly goes on with all of the notes), but would it make sense that just hearing this Bb at the treble would remind me of a whole different piece? I think that the first two bass notes from the second I link to in Fantasie Impromptu go the same way from Ab to Gb and possibly the harmony in general, but I'm not sure if it was that and not just the ringing of the Bb.
Last edited by TLGuitar at Dec 14, 2014,
I hear that kind of connections every now and then. When I hear a part of a song, sometimes I just know that there is a similar part in some other song. Actually this happened yesterday. I was watching a stompbox demo and heard the guy playing chords with volume swells. I was completely sure what he played sounded like some other song. And I was right. It sounded almost exactly like the intro of Green Day's 21 Guns. The guy in the video said what he played wasn't really anything. He just played something.

But yeah, many times the similarities aren't that obvious. Something just reminds me of something else. And when I listen to the two songs, I usually notice they aren't exactly the same but I can see the connection.

For example these two songs. When I heard the chorus of the Foreigner song, it just reminded me of the chorus of the Kiss song.

1:34

http://youtu.be/raNGeq3_DtM?t=1m34s

0:55

http://youtu.be/HshQidqYxjg?t=55s

Sometimes I just can't figure out where I have heard it before and that really annoys me.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 15, 2014,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Sometimes I just can't figure out where I have heard it before and that really annoys me.

That's basically what I was referring to. I could probably waste over an hour trying to find what I think I'm hearing.

But also, the thing is that it's usually tonal, i.e. the similarity is also in pitch. I wonder if it's somehow related to the ability of perfect-pitch hearing? I mean, for example, I once even just heard some music section that started with a G note, and as soon as I heard the G I was immediately reminded of Bach's little fugue in G minor. It seems to me like my brain makes strong associations with some pitches, and basically perfect-pitch is the ability to recognize pitches without reference. I tried testing it in some ways and I have partial success, but as I didn't have any real formal tutoring as in piano for example, I feel like I just don't directly associate notes in my playing (as a classically trained pianist should more often do due to the very visual aspect of the instrument's structure).
Last edited by TLGuitar at Dec 15, 2014,
^ OK. I don't really hear similarities in pitches. I mean, if one song starts with a G, I don't start hearing other songs that start with a G. But yeah, if you do, it may have something to do with a good pitch memory.

I usually hear similarities in melodies/harmony. For example the two songs I posted. The beginning of both chorus melodies is pretty similar.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 15, 2014,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ OK. I don't really hear similarities in pitches. I mean, if one song starts with a G, I don't start hearing other songs that start with a G. But yeah, if you do, it may have something to do with a good pitch memory.

I usually hear similarities in melodies/harmony. For example the two songs I posted. The beginning of both chorus melodies is pretty similar.

Obviously there are associations to be found in melodic and harmonic progressions in general, same way as in sequencing where a phrase is moved diatonically/chromatically to another pitch but it still reminisces it due to shape, but I most definitely seem to be triggered by the pitches themselves as well.

Though it does sound silly to be reminded of Little Fugue in G minor just because I heard a G note, but this one for example is a very liked composition of Bach by me and I probably gave it some listenings here and there back then, so that very definitive hit on the G note rung in my head as familiar. As I said, sometimes for example when I try to "extract" a musical idea out of my head or maybe imitate something I'm hearing but not familiar with I get the first pitch on-spot during the first attempt, kind of like my hand directs me to the correct fret, but I'm still not very well trained in pitch-to-visual ability so I am yet to associate it with direct spots on the guitar and it's no 100% rate of success.
Last edited by TLGuitar at Dec 15, 2014,
My favorite example of this is from Twisted Sister's "Twisted Christmas" album. The guitar solo for "We're Not Gonna Take It" was based off of the melody from "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" - so on that album, TS does a cover of "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" and drops the "We're Not Gonna Take It" solo into it. And it is epic.
Don't forget David Bowie's "Under Pressure" and Vanilia Ice's "Ice Ice Baby". Also
Michael Jackson and the Sonic 3 soundtrack (reports say that MJ did help compose it).

Here's a bigger list (some of these I don't agree with but a lot of them are right).
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SuspiciouslySimilarSong/Music
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Last edited by RonaldPoe at Dec 16, 2014,
^ Yeah, of course some of them are more obvious and actually taken from some other pieces. But the examples I provided weren't exact copies. Yes, both were power ballads from the 80s but they weren't rip offs and I don't think the similarities were intended (and they didn't even sound that similar). But yeah, obvious references are obvious. For example if you listen to the One Direction rip off songs. And of course many hip hop songs use samples from other songs.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I love it when you spot them when they're seemingly very unrelated to each other.

Take Mozart's Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, maybe about 3 minutes of it.

Then, take an extreme band like Fleshgod Apocalypse and you'd swear Mozart himself wrote it.

http://youtu.be/9RyelLaHvQw?t=50s

^From about 50 seconds in to about a minute thirty.
¢oΣxs

"The bassist's greatest power is to pull you in or push you away with literally a flick of the wrist."
Last edited by Baern at Dec 19, 2014,
Quote by RonaldPoe
Don't forget David Bowie's "Under Pressure" and Vanilia Ice's "Ice Ice Baby".

I think if we're going to count the kind of stea...'scuse me, "sampling" that goes on in rap and hip-hop then the list is going to run into the thousands. I doubt that's what the OP was after.
^ Same with intentional references. For example the intro of Kiss's "Great Expectations" is a straight Beethoven rip off.

I think TS was talking about songs that remind of some other songs without being the same.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Tenacious D's 'Tribute', although they were clearly out to make an obvious reference
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ Same with intentional references. For example the intro of Kiss's "Great Expectations" is a straight Beethoven rip off.

I think TS was talking about songs that remind of some other songs without being the same.

This, basically. I was referring to unintended similarities, rather than direct references/tributes.

And TS? Thread starter?
Yes.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115