This guy has a bunch of YouTube videos talking about guitar myths. Is this guy nuts or does he have good points?
I'm VERY on the fence about him. Half the time it seems like he has no idea what he's talking about like oh you don't need to put say lemon oil on the fretboard and the other half the time he can be insightful.

Hopefully he's just really opinionated. Like his way or the highway like so many on forums who think fender and gibson are winner brands that you need to play to be signed and nothing else lmao.

the big question is how the hell does he have so many guitars unless he owns a shop, his lessons really do pull in that kind of coin or something. BUT it could be worse; ever see the tone king he is a terrible guitar player to the point I made a parody video of him on youtube.
Quote by columbiar
This guy has a bunch of YouTube videos talking about guitar myths. Is this guy nuts or does he have good points?

Depends on which video and what day of the week it is.
Not someone you want to invest a lot of time and video watching in (IMHO, of course).
He may or may not be right about anything... but I can't watch him because he thinks that anyone who disagrees with him is instantly stupid and not even worth talking to or about.

Whether he's right or not, that's not how you change people's minds to your way of thinking.

Basically, he's a dick and I don't like him.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ive spent a few hours watching his videos. I really like the rants that he goes off on, and he does like to call people some interesting things. But if you let go of mom's tit for long enough and actually listen, he says just as many bad things about himself. I'd rather listen to guys like him than guys who suck up your arse blatantly in an effort to separate you from your money. The Tone King I'm a little bet Meh on, there's not a whole lot going on with his video's and even though I do subscribe, I rarely watch his gear now. The two that I will watch very happily are Pixxy Lixxx and Phil X on the Fretted Americana channel. Geez theres some bloody nice axes on that channel...
Thinks he knows more than he does.Right about some stuff and wrong about other stuff but always thinks he's right even when he's not.Imo.
Yeah but I guess sometimes we put a little too much weight in these sorts of vlogs, its just entertainment...
He's a tool. Says some pretty solid stuff inside his BS though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by thebuddybud
He's completely right about guitar wood having no effect on guitar tone

Lets not turn this thread into another one of those threads
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
He may or may not be right about anything... but I can't watch him because he thinks that anyone who disagrees with him is instantly stupid and not even worth talking to or about.

Whether he's right or not, that's not how you change people's minds to your way of thinking.

Basically, he's a dick and I don't like him.

Anybody with that attitude is just about the worst person to know, I can't stand anyone that decides that if they don't agree, believe, or care for something, it's "stupid". Those people tend to either be pseudo-intellectual know-it-alls or stubborn morons, I've yet to meet someone with that shitty attitude that actually knows what they're talking about when they act that way.

Back on topic:

Scott Grove is right sometimes but just like darts; even if you suck, throw enough at a dartboard and you'll eventually hit a bullseye.

Tone King is wrong most of the time and somehow manages to make every piece of gear he "demos" sound like complete arse

Chappers, though somewhat knowledgeable, is clearly a bit of a jerk if you watch the way he interacts with the owner of Anderton's and the guitars his company makes are shoddy and come off as a cash-in on his internet popularity. I'd have more respect for him if he just had an established company make a sig model for him even if it cost way more than it should.

Phil X seems a little less than down to earth sometimes and is normally fed info from a crew member for the videos he does, but unlike most reviewers he at least has real credentials as a player. He had a name for himself before doing guitar videos, and his popularity probably won't disappear after he stops making videos.
^ you summed it up perfectly.

Besides, Doug and Pat are the kings of guitar channels
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by tukk04

Phil X seems a little less than down to earth sometimes and is normally fed info from a crew member for the videos he does, but unlike most reviewers he at least has real credentials as a player. He had a name for himself before doing guitar videos, and his popularity probably won't disappear after he stops making videos.

Phil X is the only one of the four that I've actually met (at the LA Amp Show, where he walks around and gawks at cool stuff like the rest of us).

"Credentials" as a guitar player is probably an understatement; you realize he was Richie Sambora's replacement on a recent Bon Jovi tour, when Richie was rehabbing (again), right? He's quiet and introspective if you're having lunch with him, and he's exactly that guy in the videos when he's got people standing around watching him play. And in a band setting, he fully realizes who the star is, but he's also willing to bring a lot of energy when it's time. You'd like hanging with him.
While most of it seems fairly accurate, this part IMO is just plain wrong:

Quote by tukk04
And the guitars his company makes are shoddy and come off as a cash-in on his internet popularity.

I've actually played a couple of them when I passed Andertons on the way back from a gig and can attest to their quality. They feel like £600-800 worth of guitar and are really well made.
I mean, they have won awards.
They weren't for me, though. I'm an Ibanez guy, but you don't have to like the feel to feel the quality.

Other than that, I'd agree with pretty much all of what you said. (How the **** can TK make some of those amps sound THAT bad!?)
Quote by thebuddybud
He's completely right about guitar wood having no effect on guitar tone

Lol
Scott is a wanker. Very arrogant. Thinks he knows way more than he think he does. He is occasionally right about a few things though.

That and his guitar collection is pretty awesome.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 15, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That and his guitar collection is pretty awesome.

I can see the epitaph now...

Scott Grove: Hoarder of Icemans & All things KISS.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think Scott Grove makes a lot of valid poits but his videos are always too damn long. I kind of enjoy his "asshole" attitude because he makes fun of himslf also. He does pop the baloon on a lot of guitar myths and he can be annoying but he is often correct.

I love Phil X (Xenidis) videos. The guy plays great in any style of music and is just naturally funny. He'd be fun to sit down and have a beer with. He never talks down about anyone else's opinions and has a great resume. Not just his time with Bon Jovi but his work with Alice Cooper, Tommy Lee, Avil Lavigne and Rob Zombie to name a few.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I can see the epitaph now...

Scott Grove: Hoarder of Icemans & All things KISS.

Hoarder of guitars that half of which he absolutely hates.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Hoarder of guitars that half of which he absolutely hates.

You know he can put 2 of them back to back and strum one so you can figure out how long it takes you to realize how much of an idiot you are for watching his channel.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You know he can put 2 of them back to back and strum one so you can figure out how long it takes you to realize how much of an idiot you are for watching his channel.

Not until Scott tells me first.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Not until Scott tells me first.

I'm gonna need more badgering the kiddies and inane babble then.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by dspellman
Phil X is the only one of the four that I've actually met (at the LA Amp Show, where he walks around and gawks at cool stuff like the rest of us).

"Credentials" as a guitar player is probably an understatement; you realize he was Richie Sambora's replacement on a recent Bon Jovi tour, when Richie was rehabbing (again), right? He's quiet and introspective if you're having lunch with him, and he's exactly that guy in the videos when he's got people standing around watching him play. And in a band setting, he fully realizes who the star is, but he's also willing to bring a lot of energy when it's time. You'd like hanging with him.

I completely agree (as much as I don't particularly care for Bon Jovi), I was trying to keep it short though. The guy really deserves every ounce of respect he gets as both a player and person, he's also a pretty damn good songwriter as he's shown with The Drills.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
While most of it seems fairly accurate, this part IMO is just plain wrong:
I've actually played a couple of them when I passed Andertons on the way back from a gig and can attest to their quality. They feel like £600-800 worth of guitar and are really well made.
I mean, they have won awards.
They weren't for me, though. I'm an Ibanez guy, but you don't have to like the feel to feel the quality.

Other than that, I'd agree with pretty much all of what you said. (How the **** can TK make some of those amps sound THAT bad!?)

I apologize, I may have gone a bit biased with that part. I just don't personally care for internet guitarists targeting the beginner/novice market specifically which is what it appeared as to me, but If you have first hand experience and give it an ok, I'll take your word for it.
Youtube guitar personality review time!
Chappers - I watch most of his videos, definately prefer the ones with the Captain... maybe I actually like him better than Chappers. The videos entertain me which is most important. The info is usually solid and the opinions are clearly stated as opinions (not facts).

Scott Grove - makes some legit points but his attitude and assholishness don't sit well with me, and his videos are way too long and meandering.

Tone King - why does he hold the guitar with the headstock above his head when he plays... he might be able to actually play if wasn't reaching above his head to fret the guitar. But seriously he rambles a bit too much and doesn't hold my interest.

Phil X - I like his videos, he probably demo's the most interesting guitars... and him and his band playing whole songs at the end of the videos he's done recently is cool.
2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2014 Fender Strat (American Nitro Honeyburst)
2003 Ibanez Acoustic
Digitech RP500
Blackstar HT5R
Scott Grove's use of "Metalhead, Gamer and ******" put me off him bigstyle.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I like Scott. At first I was like "Who the hell does this guy think he is?" But now I have got used to his style. At first he seemed like an a**hole but I realized that that's just part of his style. I actually have learned to like it. He's not afraid to tell his opinions about things and I think that's a good thing. Just don't take it all too seriously.

He has strong opinions about things and I don't agree with everything he says. But he does make some really good points and will make you think about stuff.

I think some of the valid points he makes are:

You don't have to pay a fortune to get a good guitar - just look at the used market and there are lots of not that well known guitars that sound great and feel great and don't cost a lot. He has lots of expensive guitars - he's a guitar collector - but the guitars he actually uses for playing are not the most expensive ones.

Just because something works for somebody doesn't mean it works for you. He likes to talk crap about Jimmy Page and Slash. I do like Slash's tone and Jimmy Page's playing but he still has a point. Just because Jimmy Page used it doesn't mean there aren't better alternatives.

He also talks about new technology and people refusing to use it. For example all Gibsons need to be "vintage correct" even if there are things that could be done so much better. But people won't buy them if they are not "vintage correct". He doesn't like tube amps (and I don't really agree with him) but he also has a point there - people many times listen with their eyes rather than ears (this also has to do with the tonewood thing).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by columbiar

There might be some reasons why this guy is banned at most serious guitar forums....

Quote by tukk04
Chappers, though somewhat knowledgeable, is clearly a bit of a jerk if you watch the way he interacts with the owner of Anderton's

The really weird thing is... that's the persona. I've actually met him and Lee Anderton and spent a bit of time hanging out with them and they're actually both really nice guys. Both of them funny and quite smart, full of stories but also really good at listening to other people... which is really a source of cognitive dissonance for me because over the years his youtube persona has just gotten more and more annoying!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by columbiar

Check out his videos and decide. That's the only way to figure it out. Even if you disagree with him, it will at least make you think. Just be careful - you may not want to comment his videos if you disagree with him. Or if you really have to, at least try to be as polite as possible.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Scott Grove - he has some good advice, don't agree with him on some things such as tone woods, but I do agree on guitar prices and rehearsing at lower volumes to hear the detail in your music.

PhilX - funny guy, sounds like someone you'd hang out with at the guitar store at 16 and he'd hand you some random guitar and be like "here, check this crazy thing out".
He kinda got me into the early B-52's whilst I was shopping the Bass VI, every video of a Bass VI he had to play Rock Lobster on it.

Tone King - Talked to him a few times in comments on my own videos in the early days of Youtube when we were a part of the few people playing guitar on youtube that I was aware of at the time. Nice guy. It's kind of amazing how far he has grown from those days as lmsjr. I remember when both of us were filming our videos with potatoes.

Dunno about Chappers. The only other youtube guitar personalities I watch are CSguitars, CrimsonGuitars, Dave's World of Fun Stuff, and Glenn Fricker. I handle Glenn about like I do Scott. If you choose to leave a differing opinion, just ignore the trolls, be diplomatic, and don't be a bastard about it, and you'll be fine.

Get Right! Anybody?
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)