Hi,

I am working on my sight reading and I have a big problem caused by the years I spent playing saxophone and reading in treble clef when I was a child.

Even after many years of bass playing I realized that everytime I read a bass part I am actually still insta-translating from the treble clef. Example: if I see a C note in bass clef in my mind I will initially read that as an A (as it is in treble clef) and immediately translate it in my mind to a C.

This is working fine in the sense that I can still read with good speed and accuracy, but obviously it is slowing me down a lot.

Does anybody had the same problem? How could I go about "erasing" treble clef from my brain?
I thought about writing like a thousand of times every note on paper with the relative correct (bass clef) name aside, to try and hack my brain into reformulating his musical notes patterns.
Trumpet was the first instrument I learned to play and I have always used the treble clef. We had to name notes on the bass clef on music theory classes but I didn't get that great that way. I think I got better when I took some piano lessons. Oh, and I also write music on my computer and when I write bass parts, of course I have to use bass clef so I also learned it that way. I also just wanted to learn to read sheet music on bass so I just started doing it.

I would say start with the natural notes on the 5 lowest frets of your E, A, D and G strings. Actually learn to recognize the open strings on the bass clef first. But yeah, you learn it by doing it. Just start playing. I learned to do it by playing some exercises on the Hal Leonard Bass Method book. I'm not that great at it but it did improve my sight reading skills on bass.

You learn so much better when you do things in practice. And naming random notes on the clef is not really that practical. I think the main thing is to connect your sight to your fingers. Same as with ear training it is to connect your ears to your fingers. Stop thinking and play. You don't want to think bass clef through treble clef.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 15, 2014,
Endless repetition is the only cure for "Clef Confusion." Time and practice will win out.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley