Hello! I would like to ask a question.
I am planning to build an electric guitar.
Is it alright if I use any other kind of wood? or do i need some sort of "tonewood"?
Thanks!
I wouldn't worry too much about this, but instead worry about other factors like weight, hardness and wood aesthetic.
The effect of the wood on tone is quite a debated issue and there aren't definitive answers, and anyway there are so many variables that will shape the tone of your guitar (like pickups type or position, scale, bridge type and weight) that you can't predict what the effect will be, especially if it's your first build.

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
You need a specific kind of wood, but primarily for stability, not tone.

The wood you use needs to be dried properly, and the neck wood needs to be a reasonably hard species so that it doesn't warp. The fretboard should be similarly hard, for stability and to hold the frets properly.

Once you've satisfied the structural requirements, any wood is a tonewood.
Quote by kurtxyx
Hello! I would like to ask a question.
I am planning to build an electric guitar.
Is it alright if I use any other kind of wood? or do i need some sort of "tonewood"?

You can use a chunk of old pine for the body if you like. You'll want to use something like maple or mahogany for the neck (or glued-together strips for strength, perhaps).

you can use anything. Just be aware that some woods are easier to work with than others. Fender used pine now and then and now stewmac is trying to cash in on it.

alternative materials would be
graphite
acrylic (lucite)
stone - I saw a guy make a guitar out of a concrete block
.. really anything you can put a bridge on and a neck that can withstand 120lbs of pressure