So, I am about to record a new album for my Symphonic death metal band. The problem was that I didn't have good equipment for recording. I couldnt afford a tube amp or an axe fx, so I found out about the Pod hd pro X. Found it on thomann for 700 euros, and people said it was pretty good for metal. So I bought it. Unfortunately, for the moment at least, I can't get tones that are good enough. I even tried Ola Englund's preset, which sounds awesome when he recorded it, but not so good with my recording... I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.. but i hope someone here could give me a few tips!

My chain:
ESP LTD Guitar with active EMG's > Line 6 Pod HD Pro X > USB to Computer (using reaper as my primary DAW) > And from the Pod's unbalanced outputs to my monitors
You just need to practice mixing.
Also don't use the fact that you had that kinda money as an excuse, €700 would have gotten you a 6505

Are you double tracking your stuff?
Can you post any clip of the stuff you recorded?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Most POD tones sound like garbage on their own. But sound ridiculous in a mix and mastered product. Beginning and end state are night and day different.
Quote by Spambot_2
You just need to practice mixing.
Also don't use the fact that you had that kinda money as an excuse, €700 would have gotten you a 6505

Are you double tracking your stuff?
Can you post any clip of the stuff you recorded?

Usually my mixes are:
2 distorted guitars, panned hard left and right with some EQ, but I will do 4 for my album
Midi drums with Ezdummer or superior drummer
1 bass guitar, with a POD tone..

As for the 6505, it's a great amp, but I don't have the room for that, and.. I live in a flat
Btw here is a mix, with just a riff taken from Ola (again..)
Click here
This tone actually isn't bad in the context of the mix. The bass guitar is quite loud, and you could do with a low pass on your rhythm guitars. I don't have my best listening setup on hand at the moment, but it sounds like your guitars have too much content between 9-12k that should really be filtered out. Get rid of some of that top end and you'll quickly hear the tone starting to beef up in a really healthy way.

Don't be afraid of EQ, especially if you're mixing symphonic metal. All those orchestral elements really need aggressive filtering on all your instruments.