Page 1 of 2
Hi!

So recently I got the idea to start learning how to play guitar. It's been about 8 year since I got my first guitar, but it has been sold a long time ago. Back then I was too young to learn tabs and such, but now that games like Rocksmith makes it easier (and more interesting) to learn how to play guitar, I decided to give it a go.

Since metal (death, black, prog) is my genre of choice, I'd like to get a cheap and good guitar just for that. I know that these genres can be a bit difficult for a beginner like me, but in the long run, metal will be the style I'll be playing......

I did my research and found some possible guitars to buy, but I'd like to have some real input from more experienced players.

What I basicly want is a guitar under 350 dollars with solid build quality and a decent stock pickup. I might upgrade in the long run but for now, I'd like to keep things as they came out of the box.

I'm planning to buy through Thomann.de, since they ship to Denmark. But other sites that ship to my country (for a decent shipping cost) is also tolerable.

Thanks in advance!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm probably not the best to speak on this subject because I truly believe any guitar can be a metal guitar.

I'm not gonna look at the webpage but I'll provide a couple brands that are tried and true.

#1: Jackson. You can get an affordable Jackson and it's a great stock metal guitar. My first guitar was a Jackson Dinky and it ripped. The P/U's are decent for it's price range and everyone I've ever known has made a work-horse out of their Jacksons, they simply stand up - at least from my experience.

#2: BC Rich. This makes the list because of price. I despise the look of 90% of them, but their is a reason they are a popular guitar. They are affordable and have metal friendly electronics. From my experience, they always need soldering after a while cause the connections are cheap.

#3: ESP. Get an LTD line guitar and you're set. I'm biased toward ESP, but simply put they are the go-to guitar for many hardcore, metal, and punk guitarists who are living on a budget. The thing to note here is that it isn't the go-to guitar for beginners. I'm talking musicians who have been playing for a while and have bands and go on mini-tours and all that - they're playing ESP LTD's without a blink of the eye. They are also very popular backline guitars for those who have more expensive primary guitars.
oh and anything Ibanez...I think that goes without saying though. I personally don't like them but I think I'm the odd one out. It's a very reliable and go-to brand for any genre, but rock and metal especially
Quote by BUZZARD__
oh and anything Ibanez...I think that goes without saying though. I personally don't like them but I think I'm the odd one out. It's a very reliable and go-to brand for any genre, but rock and metal especially

Yes.

But given most of the metal sound comes from overdriving the amp, and that if you look at older metal bands you see more trad guitars, more or less any guitar will do. I can even make my Aria nylon string silent guitar sound metal with the right fx and amp.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aria-Sisonido-Silent-Travel-Classical-Guitar-/111548617765?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f8d0d425

SO , just buy one you like the look of.
Last edited by PSimonR at Dec 15, 2014,
+1 for the ibanez, the one posted above are good quality and solid instruments. With fixed bridge you remove a lot of issue you could have with cheaper models.

Get something like those RG421, take the spare change to get a proper setup by a qualified technician and you'll be setted up pretty good!

BUT: Ibanez has thin necks, thinner than mostly anything on the market. You either love or hate the Ibanez for that reason alone, so keep in mind that you might like a thicker neck. I, personnaly, like Ibanez for that reason mostly!
I fully agree. I'm not one for convention, at least when it comes to guitars.

I've owned and played several guitars but thus far my favorite two guitars I've played (for metal and hardcore) were my Rickenbacker 620 and a Telecaster. I'm currently partial toward hollow bodies

Quote by PSimonR
Yes.

But given most of the metal sound comes from overdriving the amp, and that if you look at older metal bands you see more trad guitars, more or less any guitar will do. I can even make my Aria nylon string silent guitar sound metal with the right fx and amp.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aria-Sisonido-Silent-Travel-Classical-Guitar-/111548617765?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f8d0d425

SO , just buy one you like the look of.
Keep in mind that 90% of tone is the amplifier. You could spend $4000 on a guitar and still have it sound like shit if you buy a line 6 spider..

$350 is a decent price point for a first guitar, you will get something good enough to where it won't hinder your learning. Just keep in mind when the time comes to buy an amp you should be spending AT LEAST $300 for a USED amp, if you want something decent. That price will fluctuate depending on if you need to be able to gig etc.

Avoid cheap solid state amps such as the spider IV's at all cost.
Last edited by rickyj at Dec 15, 2014,
I disagree with the people who are saying that you can use any guitar for metal, and that it basically "doesn't matter what you get". That's a bit like saying you can use any shoes for running. If you know you're going to be running a lot you buy running shoes.

Yeah, you can get too tied down by convention etc., but at the same time if a new player wants a guitar which is suitable for metal playing, you don't suggest something which most people would say is, let's say, an eccentric option. You suggest the tried and tested option- fair enough once you know what you're doing, use more left-field stuff. But IMO it makes more sense to try the more suitable stuff first, and then if you don't like it, look further afield.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 15, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I disagree with the people who are saying that you can use any guitar for metal, and that it basically "doesn't matter what you get". That's a bit like saying you can use any shoes for running. If you know you're going to be running a lot you buy running shoes.

Yeah, you can get too tied down by convention etc., but at the same time if a new player wants a guitar which is suitable for metal playing, you don't suggest something which most people would say is, let's say, an eccentric option. You suggest the tried and tested option- fair enough once you know what you're doing, use more left-field stuff. But IMO it makes more sense to try the more suitable stuff first, and then if you don't like it, look further afield.

agree. I'd go with a guitar that was designed with metal in mind. as mentioned Ibanez and Jackson both make a wide variety of metal orientated axes. ESP/LTD also makes several excellent metal style guitars. as for BC Rich unless you find a neck through model used I wouldn't go that route (coming from a BC Rich guy)

I play metal with a Strat but that's me and it wouldn't work for the styles you mentioned very well. you can play metal with any guitar but you will come up against issues with many of them that will be tough to get by. I play blues with my BC Rich (Eagle which granted isn't as metally as most of their guitars) but wouldn't recommend one for a guy wanting a blues guitar.
It also depends on if you are set on buying a new axe, you can often find a higher grade guitar used for the price of a lower grade axe that is new, especially with Jackson, Ibanez, and B.C. Rich. I recently paid $250 for a mint condition Jackson DKMGT ($999 MSRP) with upgrade to EMG's with the 18Volt mod plus the Afterburner with original Jackson hard case. 2 Years ago I gave $300 for a used Jackson DKMG ($1099 MSRP) with EMGs and Jackson OHSC, You just have to have some patience and shop around.

There are tons of used Ibanez and B.C.Rich guitars out there as well.

DKMG Black Forrest Green MIJ, DKMGT Cobalt Blue MIJ I gave a total of $550 for the pair both in mint condition, both for about half the price of one of them new!

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 15, 2014,
Things to look for in a guitar that should suit your needs:

1. Humbuckers. At least one in the bridge position. HH, HSS, or HSH configurations
2. Fixed bridge. You'll be switching tunings a lot when learning songs and you won't want to have to mess with a tremolo, especially not a locking floyd rose.
3. 24 frets. Not super necessary, but when I first started I found it nice to have access to all the notes without having to bend.

Brands I would recommend: Schecter, Jackson, Ibanez
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

oddly enough I've got two guitars perfect for metal and they are 350$ on my craigslist. I don't spam though here's some personal insight.

My best advice is see what your favorite bands are using and try your best to copy it. Play them and see if you are into the same things though. I got a few really nice Jackson and Dean guitars for not even 50% their value and they are amazing guitars. LTD , Schecter, washburn.

I have no idea what your local going rates are but...
a 350 or used 400 series LTD - some are neckthrough which is the best way to build guitars
a used pro series Jackson - a KE3 , RR3 anything with a 3 in it.
a Korean BC Rich or Dean, some dimebag models are good or Schecter
certain Agile guitars
certain used PRS guitars but the pickups aren't for metal sadly
here's some guidelines though

brand means nothing to me. I've played them all and only subtle quirks you'll find about guitars brand to brand that really set them apart. Look for a good sound and something comfortable that you don't have to fight with or accept crap like 60 cycle hum.

anyways some guidelines are
mahogany bodies preferably
two humbuckers - high output is the term of the day (passive over active)
no floyd rose,
25.5 scale length but if you see 26.5+ go with it if you plan to tune low.
Other than that pure nickel strings give you more darkness. Heavier strings flap less but half the time guys don't even need them it's just placebo.
Having a good amp and knowing what effects (like a guitar processor or pedal) and picks help just as much.

I'm not big on Ibanez myself. The necks are like paper and the bodies are so light weight to me they sound lifeless and so forth. I've played a steve vai Jem to all sorts of other RG guitars guys bring in for pickup swaps and stuff and have never been impressed. It's one of those brands you either really really love and defend to the end or really hate.
Quote by Evilnine
It also depends on if you are set on buying a new axe, you can often find a higher grade guitar used for the price of a lower grade axe that is new, especially with Jackson, Ibanez, and B.C. Rich. I recently paid $250 for a mint condition Jackson DKMGT ($999 MSRP) with upgrade to EMG's with the 18Volt mod plus the Afterburner with original Jackson hard case. 2 Years ago I gave $300 for a used Jackson DKMG ($1099 MSRP) with EMGs and Jackson OHSC, You just have to have some patience and shop around.

There are tons of used Ibanez and B.C.Rich guitars out there as well.

DKMG Black Forrest Green MIJ, DKMGT Cobalt Blue MIJ I gave a total of $550 for the pair both in mint condition, both for about half the price of one of them new!

Heads up that your Blue Dinky may be a stock 2006 DKMGT model - I have that exact same guitar!

For the TS, I'd suggest a more "neutral" metal oriented neck on a Jackson or LTD in this price range over the thin Ibanez.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Tallwood13
oddly enough I've got two guitars perfect for metal and they are 350$ on my craigslist. I don't spam though here's some personal insight.

My best advice is see what your favorite bands are using and try your best to copy it. Play them and see if you are into the same things though. I got a few really nice Jackson and Dean guitars for not even 50% their value and they are amazing guitars. LTD , Schecter, washburn.

I have no idea what your local going rates are but...
a 350 or used 400 series LTD - some are neckthrough which is the best way to build guitars
a used pro series Jackson - a KE3 , RR3 anything with a 3 in it.
a Korean BC Rich or Dean, some dimebag models are good or Schecter
certain Agile guitars
certain used PRS guitars but the pickups aren't for metal sadly
here's some guidelines though

brand means nothing to me. I've played them all and only subtle quirks you'll find about guitars brand to brand that really set them apart. Look for a good sound and something comfortable that you don't have to fight with or accept crap like 60 cycle hum.

anyways some guidelines are
mahogany bodies preferably
two humbuckers - high output is the term of the day (passive over active)
no floyd rose,
25.5 scale length but if you see 26.5+ go with it if you plan to tune low.
Other than that pure nickel strings give you more darkness. Heavier strings flap less but half the time guys don't even need them it's just placebo.
Having a good amp and knowing what effects (like a guitar processor or pedal) and picks help just as much.

I'm not big on Ibanez myself. The necks are like paper and the bodies are so light weight to me they sound lifeless and so forth. I've played a steve vai Jem to all sorts of other RG guitars guys bring in for pickup swaps and stuff and have never been impressed. It's one of those brands you either really really love and defend to the end or really hate.

Tallwood buddy you give good advice but often ruin it with your prejudices. nothing wrong with alder or basswwod for what the OP wants and at times that may work better for metal. ok you don't care for Ibanez but they do suite what theOP wants which is the important part of giving solid advice.
Personally I like the Ibanez RGs for their slim neck profile and dual humbuckers, theyre also relatively cheap and are solid quality.
Jackson comes in second, totally different feel though.
It's all based on personal feel for the guitar, probably best to try some guitars out.
For me the BC Rich guitars look cool but feel awkward & not as agile while I'm playing.
Goodluck finding the right guitar!
Quote by monwobobbo
agree. I'd go with a guitar that was designed with metal in mind. as mentioned Ibanez and Jackson both make a wide variety of metal orientated axes. ESP/LTD also makes several excellent metal style guitars. as for BC Rich unless you find a neck through model used I wouldn't go that route (coming from a BC Rich guy)

I play metal with a Strat but that's me and it wouldn't work for the styles you mentioned very well. you can play metal with any guitar but you will come up against issues with many of them that will be tough to get by. I play blues with my BC Rich (Eagle which granted isn't as metally as most of their guitars) but wouldn't recommend one for a guy wanting a blues guitar.

I'd also say (as you implied in your post) that there's a big difference between "it'll do at a pinch" and "is well-suited to". If you only play metal occasionally, maybe it doesn't make sense to have a metal-orientated guitar. But if it's your favourite type of music, it does- in that case you want something suitable, not something which has to be kind of persuaded to work (and probably not work all that well even so).

Quote by asgerrud
Have you tried them before?

Not those specific models, just their forerunner (the rg321). I'm guessing they're similar, but admittedly I can't say for sure.

A second-hand japanese DKMGT, as evilnine suggested, would be great if you know enough to accurately assess it to make sure there's nothing wrong with it (or have a guitar-playing friend whom you trust who could assess it for you). I have one, they're really nice, especially if you can get one for around your budget.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

A second-hand japanese DKMGT, as evilnine suggested, would be great if you know enough to accurately assess it to make sure there's nothing wrong with it (or have a guitar-playing friend whom you trust who could assess it for you). I have one, they're really nice, especially if you can get one for around your budget.

Actually I found a DKMGT for around 350 starting price, but I have no knowlegde about its current state.
What are your thoughts on this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Dkmg-With-20decibel-Boost-Circut-24-Fret-Reverse-Neck-/271707568677?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f43087a25
It says it's an earlier one (so, everything else being equal, it might not be in as good shape as a newer one)- I'm also not that convinced that the Floyd Rose tremolos on the bolt-on Pro models are that great.

If you're going to be playing in a lot of different tunings a hardtail bridge (the DKMGT, not the DKMG which has a Jackson-branded Floyd Rose trem) might be better.

If I remember correctly, around 2006 Jackson upgraded the Pro series a bit, with better pickups (real active EMGs and Duncans, rather than passive EMGs and Duncan Designed). That one you linked to has already upgraded the pickups, so it shouldn't matter, but that's worth bearing in mind just for reference. You might as well get the newer, already-upgraded versions, in other words.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by asgerrud
Actually I found a DKMGT for around 350 starting price, but I have no knowlegde about its current state.
What are your thoughts on this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Dkmg-With-20decibel-Boost-Circut-24-Fret-Reverse-Neck-/271707568677?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f43087a25

nice guitar. not to sure you'll get it for $350 though as his buy it now price is $450..

I think you need to prioritize what you want out of a guitar as metal is such a wide genre at this point. as mentioned having a Floyd (or similar locking trem) will make it tough to change tunings. do you need 24 frets and other things like that. this could help us narrow down the best options.
Quote by monwobobbo
nice guitar. not to sure you'll get it for $350 though as his buy it now price is $450..

I think you need to prioritize what you want out of a guitar as metal is such a wide genre at this point. as mentioned having a Floyd (or similar locking trem) will make it tough to change tunings. do you need 24 frets and other things like that. this could help us narrow down the best options.

Just a quick question from a guy who has never bought from ebay before........ Is the price you see including the shipping cost as well?
Quote by asgerrud
Just a quick question from a guy who has never bought from ebay before........ Is the price you see including the shipping cost as well?

no. if you look at the listing it says $18 shipping which is probably not even close to accurate if you want the guitar shipped in something that will protect it. you can contact the seller for realistic shipping charges.
Quote by monwobobbo
no. if you look at the listing it says $18 shipping which is probably not even close to accurate if you want the guitar shipped in something that will protect it. you can contact the seller for realistic shipping charges.

I guess I have to narrow down my selection, since the shipping cost from USA is about 70 dollars for me
Recently, the Jackson JS32TQ Dinky caught my attention because of its price. Is it any good?
Quote by asgerrud
Recently, the Jackson JS32TQ Dinky caught my attention because of its price. Is it any good?

they're not bad for a lower end guitar. dude do you have any guitar shops near where you live? seems that if you were able to check out the guitars yourself you'd be better off.
Quote by monwobobbo
they're not bad for a lower end guitar. dude do you have any guitar shops near where you live? seems that if you were able to check out the guitars yourself you'd be better off.

Actually, I don't. And if so, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a guitar made for metal.
ok. you might want to check around some more and see if there are any shops in your area. you can always call to find out what guitars they carry. buying blind is a tough thing to do, guess I'm grateful I've never had to. I'd be more inclined to buy from a retailer such as Guitar Center (or the equivalent in your area) than ebay. with a retailer they tend to have a return policy and some kind of guarantee which you most likely won't get from ebay.
Quote by asgerrud
I just saw the Jackson DKMG with the starting bid around 225 USD. There's only 5 hours left for the bid. Unfortunately, I don't know if it ships to Denmark. But should I go for it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-Reverse-Headstock-Freedom-Hard-Case-Used-/161521059134?pt=Guitar&hash=item259b67c53e

only ships within US. all ebay adds have a shipping section that tells you where they are willing to ship to. you are way better off getting a guitar from Europe than trying to get one from the US. keep in mind that shipping is expensive and some countires will hit you with an import tax (not sure about Denmark). Thomanns (may be spelled wrong) seems like the go to place in Europe (I'm in the US)
Quote by monwobobbo
only ships within US. all ebay adds have a shipping section that tells you where they are willing to ship to. you are way better off getting a guitar from Europe than trying to get one from the US. keep in mind that shipping is expensive and some countires will hit you with an import tax (not sure about Denmark). Thomanns (may be spelled wrong) seems like the go to place in Europe (I'm in the US)

I contacted the seller and still waiting for a response......
I have been buying from Thomann before and I'd gladly do again, unless I can find a cheap guitar off ebay.
If you go the Thomann route look at a Dinky JS32TQ or a Kelly JS32T. That's probably your best bet new in the price range.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by asgerrud
I contacted the seller and still waiting for a response......
I have been buying from Thomann before and I'd gladly do again, unless I can find a cheap guitar off ebay.

ok I can't stress enough that because you have a tight budget that going the ebay route isn't the best plan. Thomann has a return policy and guarantee etc. giving those up just to save a few dollars isn't in your best interest.

don't be surprised if seller says no. shipping overseas is a very risky thing and many here in the US don't want to do it. ebay sides with the buyer in most issues and guys don't want to deal with buyers out of country (and increasingly in country)
Last edited by monwobobbo at Dec 17, 2014,
^ agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by metalmingee
Heads up that your Blue Dinky may be a stock 2006 DKMGT model - I have that exact same guitar!

For the TS, I'd suggest a more "neutral" metal oriented neck on a Jackson or LTD in this price range over the thin Ibanez.

I have been trying to date all of my MIJ Jacksons but serial number don't help after 96 I believe for the imports, 7 digits starting with 9 = MIJ but I have had to narrow down some of them by features.

I did find Jackson price lists for USA and Imports http://www.jacksonguitars.com/support/price-lists/

From those I was able to pin down the year of my RR3 Pro Series, as 2010 was the final year for the Eerie Dess Swirl paint and the only year that paint scheme came with a OHSC

The winter 2006 price list does show the DKMGT with the EMG 81/85 set but no afterburner and not in cobalt blue but being a winter catalog it is probably for the 07 line.

I think my DKMGT is an earlier model anyway that came with the EMGHZ set because the EMG set in it is 81/81 not 81/85, I am loving the 18 volt mod for sure!

I know that prior to 96 MIJ Jacksons had 6 digit serial numbers and the begging number indicated year of build, my Jackson Professional Series King V Standard was made in 1993.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 17, 2014,
Quote by asgerrud
I just saw the Jackson DKMG with the starting bid around 225 USD. There's only 5 hours left for the bid. Unfortunately, I don't know if it ships to Denmark. But should I go for it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-Reverse-Headstock-Freedom-Hard-Case-Used-/161521059134?pt=Guitar&hash=item259b67c53e

If you are not familiar with Floyd Rose locking tremolo systems you may want to avoid the DKMG and find a DKMGT, I am not a huge fan of the Jackson JT580 LP lo profile trems, I prefer OFR , I have 3 JT580 LPs they all work fine but don't appear to have the quality of my OFR.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

I was looking around the internet when I found the JS12 Dinky. I'm very fond of the sound of the guitar, but I'm unfamiliar with the 2 Point Fulcrum Tremolo. Since I'll be playing in lots of different tunes, do you think this bridge will be a problem or cause difficulties?
Quote by asgerrud
I was looking around the internet when I found the JS12 Dinky. I'm very fond of the sound of the guitar, but I'm unfamiliar with the 2 Point Fulcrum Tremolo. Since I'll be playing in lots of different tunes, do you think this bridge will be a problem or cause difficulties?

If you absolutely have your heart set on that guitar, the trem's not gonna cause you any problems. They arent like double locking floyds so for a beginner it shouldnt be too hard to restring or set up.

The way a guitar sounds is more up to the amp than the guitar itself, its more important to me that the axe plays well (ie. nice action, no buzz or tuning instability) before i worry about how it sounds, because how it sounds can be altered by so many different factors.

If it were me, i wouldnt buy a cheap jackson. At that lower price point, they diminish in quality a fair bit. Schecter Omens and Ltd x-50's or that Douglas guitar i linked would be much better guitars IMO.
Quote by asgerrud

If your budget is $330 I wouldn't spend $170. The range of $100 to $350 usually is the range where quality changes the most, at least in my experience. If you can find a marked down or used $400+ guitar within your budget, it's likely going to smoke that JS12 Dinky.

If you're worried about sound, most low end Jacksons are going to utilize the same pickups and hardware. The quality of the build is what is going to change, as well as aesthetics.

The fact that the trem doesn't lock on a guitar that cheap makes me suspect that it won't hold tuning if you ever even touch the whammy bar. So that makes it pointless. I suggest you either go with a string-thru body or a floyd style trem. Go all or none. If you don't have experience with a Floyd there are plenty of awesome videos and information on the web. Once you learn them they're easy.
Page 1 of 2