i'm a lefty looking to buy a second guitar, moving from a cheap £50 strat copy to something below £400. i've looked everywhere and have found some nice ones for sure, but there are plenty of not so famous brands out there that do copies but still look great.
what brands should i definitely avoid?
what type of guitars are you looking at? it's kind of difficult to list everything to avoid (not that we likely know, either), but we can normally tell things which look sketchy/cheapo if you provide links (or even just brand names).

also if you know what style of guitar you're thinking of we can provide suggestions at your price point.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
price is often a dead give away. having said that you can find nice guitars pretty cheap these days. at the price point you have given I would think you'd have no issues finding a name brand guitar though. the other thing is research. you can look up any brand and see what people think of them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Bells + whistles + cheap price = garbage (there are a few exceptions)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I hate when people think brands are assurance of quality or it's gonna sound good. regardless. For example this 200$ Jackson I bought was better than a 999.99 Jackson DK2 I had. I ended up selling the DK2 actually.

my best advice is to go into a shop or two and try as much as you can. Understand what you're looking for, what you like and don't in a guitar and try anything you see yourself owning, worry about brand and country last. Play the same amp and with the same pick. There is subtle differences in each brand but it comes down to wood / pickup combination, shapes of the neck and small things. So a mahogany body/neck les paul with an ebony fretboard by Schecter vs a Gibson will sound extremely similar. But only playing them we will find out. I'm yet to find an absolutely flawless production line guitar though.

The only guitars to avoid are the starter pack guitars you see in the front of every guitar shop. If a guitar is under 200$ it's not gonna sound great. The ones I hate the most are the old sears catalog guitars from the 60s. My neighbor has a bunch of lyra/lyro guitars and so forth from this plant in Japan. They cannot intonate and are all low end models there. **edit** oh and the counterfeit gibsons and so forth you see on certain websites. My friends worked on about 6 of them this summer and they are borderline garbage even set up and fret dressed you're just putting sprinkles on a dog turd.

idealistically ..
a name brand of tuners - sperzel, schaller, grover , gotoh
fret number and how long the neck is or how thick it is is preference
set neck or neckthrough , bolt on is fine
pickups are preference. Understand the pros and cons to each
ash,. alder, mahogany, korina for the body woods
the bridge is preference. I like guitars without whammy bars myself because you get more volume, tone and sustain
besides that it's comfort and weight or shapes.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 15, 2014,
Quote by Tallwood13
I hate when people think brands are assurance of quality or it's gonna sound good. regardless. For example this 200$ Jackson I bought was better than a 999.99 Jackson DK2 I had. I ended up selling the DK2 actually.

Name brands assure resale value for a properly cared for guitar, I think it'd be foolish to ignore that. And, I have a poplar body guitar that sounds glorious.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Tallwood13
I hate when people think brands are assurance of quality or it's gonna sound good.

(Edit)

idealistically ..
a name brand of tuners - sperzel, schaller, grover , gotoh

(Emphasis mine.)

A brand of guitars is like a brand for tuners- no guarantee of quality. Any manufacturer can make a gem or a lemon. Even gotoh, etc.

What a brand name tells you is something about probabilities. A Fender guitar is more likely to be well made than a brand made in a 2-week old back-alley sweatshop in Guatemala.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 16, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
(Emphasis mine.)

A brand of guitars is like a brand for tuners- no guarantee of quality. Any manufacturer can make a gem or a lemon. Even gotoh, etc.

What a brand name tells you is something about probabilities. A Fender guitar is more likely to be well made than a brand made in a 2-week old back-alley sweatshop in Guatemala.

agree. brand names are usually built on quality and succeed in the marketplace because of perceived value. yes quality can slip but not the point. a "no name" can of course work it's way up to "brand name". Agile Is a good example. when they started they were dismissed as another cheap copy company. over time people had a chance to play them and many found them to be really good guitars for the money. this is business 101 stuff.

once again I advocate strongly for doing research on a brand you aren't familiar with. the other thing is to actually try a guitar if you can. I have a Vineyard strat and a Vintage SG never heard of either company but both guitars are really good (for there price). if you are buying online or not a risk taker then going with a name brand is a safer bet. if you lack the experience in determining what a really good guitar is then once again going with a name brand is a safer bet. yes you can get a turd from any company at any price point.
thanks for all the replies, i have taken in everything you guys have said, i'm still a noob in the buying/selling guitars business.
however i did find this thing here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231407934153?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

any good from a glance?
btw plz don't buy it if it is lol
Last edited by theawesomeginge at Dec 16, 2014,
An old Hofner? Should be good. Or, at least, it was, back in the day. Its a solid brand, and that looks like it's in good shape. AND the seller has 8 years of a solid rep on eBay. You might see if they have more pictures, though. Since it is a vintage guitar, you'll get a better indication of its condition by seeing the neck, for instance.

Interesting to see that they didn't actually use a lefty-cut body for it, but DID install lefty controls & hardware!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 16, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
(Emphasis mine.)

+1

you often pay a bit more for a brand name, but there's less chance of getting really screwed over (as long as you don't go super-cheap, anyway), and generally better resale value down the line, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by theawesomeginge
thanks for all the replies, i have taken in everything you guys have said, i'm still a noob in the buying/selling guitars business.
however i did find this thing here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231407934153?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

any good from a glance?
btw plz don't buy it if it is lol

I'd be asking some ?s on that guitar. hard to tell from pics but I'd say the bridge isn't original and the pickups certainly aren't. find out the exact model for it and do some research.