Page 1 of 2
probably a billion threads on this already but I don't care and they're probably old and from when people were lame and 16 and only liked stupid things like Giger and Dali and Escher or something idk.

anyway, favourite paintings, go. If they're big, spoiler them so people's monitors don't have a freak out.

My all time favourite painting is a Rembrandt, called Philosopher in Meditation

Rembrandt just had a really good way with shadow and the contrast between light and darkness, better than pretty much any other painter I know. Super great.

My other favourite is a Rothko. I don't know what it's called cause it's probably just like "Untitled #18" or "Red on Black" or something but whatever

Rothko is pretty cool and even though his colour form isn't to everyone's liking, and there are some that will probably dispute the quality or the validity of it, I really like it.

So go, what are your favourite paintings?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
COLOURED RECTANGLES
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Ya I've always loved that first one Joel and yours weaponized

I don't really have a favorite but these are some that come to mind

Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I went to the National Gallery in London a little over a week ago and I saw this painting by one of Rembrandt's students:

I thought the light in it was amazing.
I also love van Gogh's "At Eternity's Gate" (and all other van Gogh, let's be real)

it's all coming back

Quote by whywefight
Honestly I don't get the point of looking at paintings on a computer screen

tbh i don't get the appeal of looking at paintings to begin with but i am poor and uncultured/not lisa simpson like that
Quote by whywefight
Honestly I don't get the point of looking at paintings on a computer screen

it looks the same and costs nothing and you can see everything
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
I don't know I just don't find anything about paintings interesting unless I'm standing in front of one in a museum

I just love being able to see the textures in person I guess. I can take forever going through museums
nah there's definitely something special about being in a museum. Like even the frame can make a painting really amazing. One of my biggest regrets is wasted opportunities when I lived in London. So many museums there that I just never took advantage of. But for the museums that I have been to, and the art collections I have seen, I'm really really grateful of.
it's all coming back

ITT Baby Joel tries to be the most pretentious user as well as the most privileged
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I'm not really into his "weirder" paintings like "Burning Giraffe" or "Sleep". Compared to the work Salvador Dali usually painted, I loved it when I found out he made this.

This is called Meditative Rose

My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I haven't been to an actual museum for like 8 years and even then it was just the local shitty one so I dunno. I really have been loving paintings lately and just through experiencing them online. Sure to me they're usually only really good for a few seconds and a glance every whenever I see them but the ones that suit me perfectly really blow me away for that little time period

I like pretty things is all
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
ROTHKO SUCKS

William Blake - The Ancient of Days

Rene Magritte - The Human Condition

Jean-Baptiste-Simeon Chardin - The Silver Cup

and other things but I don't really care about art that much
mate, your favourite art is morbid metal album covers
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Jimjambanx

this is what I meant. I find these paintings of him disturbing and dark
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Fun fact: Dali believed you could accurately describe a woman's personality by how many wrinkles their anus had.

Anyway I'm big into abstract expressionism. I'm more a photographer but take HUGE influence from painting too so I'll keep it to that.

They should be viewed in the flesh really, but such is life.

I also enjoy Mucha

As mentioned Hieronymous Bosch is cool. James Jean does some good work but it's pen and ink IIRC
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 16, 2014,
goddamn awesome thread. i dont a favourite one tho

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I still sit in awe of Cezanne's card players, the original 47.5 cm x 57 cm one.

EDIT: and nearly all art deco
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Dec 16, 2014,

Also, I gotta agree about the museum thing. I don't get the appeal of looking at them online.
online serves well enough as a basic sampler of an artist's work to help expand horizons

nothing beats sitting down in the Rothko Room and wildly hallucinating.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I don't like paintings.

I'm biased though, I'm engaged to a printmaker

And, because I'm very aware of the art culture (both academic and community based) I've grown to believe painters are the culmination of all that is wrong in this world.

they should just draw
Pretty much everything Dali painted, also M.C. Escher (although these are rather drawings than paintings, but I don't care).

Last edited by pb15994 at Dec 16, 2014,
^the tate actually houses some hella obscure artists. Good for finding hidden gems despite its reputation for covering mainstream artists.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Baby Joel
Rembrandt

I know it's pretty common but The Great Wave off Kanagawa has always been one of my favorites. I love water and people who paint it in ways that captures some essence of it.

Monet's Le Bassin aux Nymphéas

Rembrandt's Nocturnal Landscape with the Holy Family

I'm also a massive fan of traditional Chinese art. But unfortunately the artists are pretty hard to source, and specific paintings are kinda difficult to find.

If you ever get a chance to go see art from the Ming and Qing dynasties you really should. Even the artisan goods are absolutely ridiculously beautiful.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Man, it's hard to convey how great these following three are over a monitor. They're all on canvases that are 6x8 foot or so.

This is my favorite. When you're in front of it, it feels like you could fall in.
http://embarkkiosk.chazen.wisc.edu/VieO3523?sid=101490&x=1962592

Another other amazing one at the same Museum here in town.

I really dig paintings that depict historical events and try to capture all the emotions that were held in one canvas. I'm not a huge pursuer of the arts or anything, but that genre really gets me.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by MinterMan22
tbh i don't get the appeal of looking at paintings to begin with but i am poor and uncultured/not lisa simpson like that

you want to see some cool paintings drop acid on a sunny day
^ you made me think of this on account of the dramaticism often captured in these more classical event paintings.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 16, 2014,
Page 1 of 2