Hello guys this is my second post on this forum and i'm seriously loving the way you guys responded to my earlier post about choosing a guitar, so thanks alot for the many answers! Anyways let's get to the business. So i've picked up guitar recently, i love playing it, i'm not good at all but i wanna learn it so i can jam by myself and enjoy The thing is, or the way i see it, is that i want to become a "self-learned" guitarist. I find that to be my style and i want to create something new, or something fun and yeah just basically mess around with the guitar without getting too technical about it. Anyways, i do understand that some things may come in handy.

So, my main question here is this: I don't wanna get too much into the notes and stuff, but just learn to jam and have fun with the guitar. What essentials do you think that i should learn though to be able to be a self-learned guitarist as efficiently as possible ? Licks ? Chords ? Positions ? etc. what's ur opinion guys ?

Hopefully you guys understand what i'm trying to say haha, anyways thanks for those who care to answer and help me out again! Happy holidays UG people!
Last edited by finnguitarist at Dec 16, 2014,
I have a million things I could say but I'll try to keep it short.

Find balance. Just play. Sit in front of your practice amp (or with your acoustic if that's what you have) and play endlessly.

don't find excuses to hold yourself back "I need to watch all these technique youtube videos so I can do it right" It's crap. Just play. Learn chords, more importantly, learn how to play chords the way you like to. Learning guitar is more trouble-shooting than many like to admit. there isn't a right answer...and the people who tell you a right and wrong exist in the world of guitar are, though technically proficient, musically deficient. JMO.

Also, nerding out about gear is fun. I do it, heck we all do. Just don't let it control you. The moment you think you can't advance because of what pedal or amp or guitar you have is the moment you forgot that your brain, your ears, and your hands are just as important equipment.
Quote by BUZZARD__
I have a million things I could say but I'll try to keep it short.

Find balance. Just play. Sit in front of your practice amp (or with your acoustic if that's what you have) and play endlessly.

don't find excuses to hold yourself back "I need to watch all these technique youtube videos so I can do it right" It's crap. Just play. Learn chords, more importantly, learn how to play chords the way you like to. Learning guitar is more trouble-shooting than many like to admit. there isn't a right answer...and the people who tell you a right and wrong exist in the world of guitar are, though technically proficient, musically deficient. JMO.

Also, nerding out about gear is fun. I do it, heck we all do. Just don't let it control you. The moment you think you can't advance because of what pedal or amp or guitar you have is the moment you forgot that your brain, your ears, and your hands are just as important equipment.

Thanks man! Everything you says makes alot sense to me, and in a way, is what im looking forward to doing. I just need to clarify one thing a bit. Are you referring to learning chords as in one by one, or with some kind of pattern etc ? Or something else ?
Last edited by finnguitarist at Dec 16, 2014,
Quote by finnguitarist

So, my main question here is this: I don't wanna get too much into the notes and stuff, but just learn to jam and have fun with the guitar. What essentials do you think that i should learn though to be able to be a self-learned guitarist as efficiently as possible ? Licks ? Chords ? Positions ? etc. what's ur opinion guys ?

Your first question really depends on how good your musical ear is and whether you're any good at hearing the distance between two notes (intervals). If it ain't great you're gonna struggle or learn heaps in two years and then find you can't get any further.

Learn the chord shapes and where the root note is on the E, A & D string for those chord shapes. Play along to records and have fun.

When I was younger all my friends and I went about learning guitar or bass at the same time. Even though I did play guitar way more than the others I did try learning every riff I liked, learnt as many chords as I could, some scales and the names of the notes on the fretboard (not hard as there's only 12 notes). It became more and more obvious as time went on that my musicianship progressed faster and more competently than the others.

Jamming is good, and its how I mainly learned, jamming with other people is better though. But don't throw away the idea of learning some basics like chords, notes on the fretboard etc.
Quote by finnguitarist
Are you referring to learning chords as in one by one, or with some kind of pattern etc ? Or something else ?

A little bit of both really. Just learn the chords really, like, "here's an E, here's an A minor, here's a D, here's a G, here's an F"

The basics really. Experiment with them, when it sounds like crap, don't do it again. When it sounds good remember it. That was the way I learned at least
Quote by Rebel Scum

Jamming is good, and its how I mainly learned, jamming with other people is better though. But don't throw away the idea of learning some basics like chords, notes on the fretboard etc.

+1. Playing with other people taught me more than anything else combined
Quote by Rebel Scum
Your first question really depends on how good your musical ear is and whether you're any good at hearing the distance between two notes (intervals). If it ain't great you're gonna struggle or learn heaps in two years and then find you can't get any further.

Learn the chord shapes and where the root note is on the E, A & D string for those chord shapes. Play along to records and have fun.

When I was younger all my friends and I went about learning guitar or bass at the same time. Even though I did play guitar way more than the others I did try learning every riff I liked, learnt as many chords as I could, some scales and the names of the notes on the fretboard (not hard as there's only 12 notes). It became more and more obvious as time went on that my musicianship progressed faster and more competently than the others.

Thanks man good pack of info! Any suggestions about a topic/video that could teach me these chord shaped and root notes etc ?
Quote by BUZZARD__
A little bit of both really. Just learn the chords really, like, "here's an E, here's an A minor, here's a D, here's a G, here's an F"

The basics really. Experiment with them, when it sounds like crap, don't do it again. When it sounds good remember it. That was the way I learned at least

Ahh gotcha! Sounds good. And yeah i'm looking forward to becoming good enough to jam with someone haha
Quote by finnguitarist
Thanks man good pack of info! Any suggestions about a topic/video that could teach me these chord shaped and root notes etc ?

Search the forums, I wish I could help you here but I learnt how to play guitar before the internet was commercial so the way I picked it up was from books.

Quick search I found this site http://www.all-guitar-chords.com

Shows fingering and note names so its a start I guess.
Quote by Rebel Scum
Search the forums, I wish I could help you here but I learnt how to play guitar before the internet was commercial so the way I picked it up was from books.

Quick search I found this site http://www.all-guitar-chords.com

Shows fingering and note names so its a start I guess.

Allright ill check that out thank you so much man for ur efforts ^^
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
http://www.justinguitar.com/

check out this guy. it's all free. start with the beginners course in the menu to the left.

Looks good aswell man thanks ill definetily check this out more thoroughly
Last edited by finnguitarist at Dec 17, 2014,