Hello! I am looking to get a new guitar with a built in sustainer, I have around 1k USD to spend on it (give or take 100 or so). I was originally looking at the Schecter Blackjack A-6 FR S, but I change my tuning so often that I don't want to sacrifice that ability just for the ability to do silly divebombs. While Schecter makes an A-6 with a hardtail bridge, they do not make one with a hardtail and a Sustainiac. I was considering getting a guitar without a sustainer and then getting one installed by a local luthier but I would much rather just get a guitar with one built in. I have been looking around the web for a while now but I cannot seem to find one (that comes in black). If anybody knows of one I would be very thankful for a suggestion!
Fernandes. I think every model in their product line has a version equipped with a Sustainer. And most of those will be $800-1200, depending on model, hardtail/trem, and MiK or MiJ.

If you're in the USA, check out their online shop- they're having a clearance sale.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 16, 2014,
Generally speaking, it's quite a bit cheaper to get one of the guitars that have sustainers already built in at the factory than it is to have one installed (because you pay for the kit AND the installation). There are some Jacksons that have the sustainer built in (it's a Sustainiac version except for the PC-1), but for my money, I'd rather have one of the Fernandes guitars.
Quote by dspellman
Generally speaking, it's quite a bit cheaper to get one of the guitars that have sustainers already built in at the factory than it is to have one installed (because you pay for the kit AND the installation). There are some Jacksons that have the sustainer built in (it's a Sustainiac version except for the PC-1), but for my money, I'd rather have one of the Fernandes guitars.

The Jackson was discontinued a long time ago, and (surprisingly enough) there aren't any Fernandes guitars that have the sustainer and come in black. Is there any way I could change the bridge of the Schecter to a hardtail without doing much work? Or could I possibly replace the locking nut with a larger nut that doesn't lock?
Quote by xaviersykora
The Jackson was discontinued a long time ago, and (surprisingly enough) there aren't any Fernandes guitars that have the sustainer and come in black.

These Fernandes hardtails come in black quilt:
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/dragonfly/dragonfly-elite.html
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/monterey/monterey-elite.html
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/ravelle/ravelle-elite.html

The sustainer equipped Retrorocket and Vertigo come in black, but have trems.

The Monterey Elite JP is a hardtail, and does come in black, but may be out of your price range, at least new.
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/monterey/monterey-elite-jp.html

Perhaps an eBow?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 16, 2014,
If you don't mind a bright green finish, Schecter's Kenny Hickey Signature model has a sustainiac with a hardtail.
Quote by the_bi99man
If you don't mind a bright green finish, Schecter's Kenny Hickey Signature model has a sustainiac with a hardtail.

I was surprised to see that is the only hardtail they offer. They have sustaniacs on lots of different models, all with a floyd except that one
Quote by xaviersykora
The Jackson was discontinued a long time ago, and (surprisingly enough) there aren't any Fernandes guitars that have the sustainer and come in black. Is there any way I could change the bridge of the Schecter to a hardtail without doing much work? Or could I possibly replace the locking nut with a larger nut that doesn't lock?

You really don't even want to consider this; if you're changing tunings with a Floyd, the nut isn't your primary issue (you could just take the locking bolts off if that were the case) anyway. You'd have to block the Floyd. But there's really no point in having a Floyd guitar if you've loosened the lock nut and blocked off the trem.

The Dinkys with Sustainiacs were discontinued a few years ago, but are available on the used market.
Quote by jaymz9350
I was surprised to see that is the only hardtail they offer. They have sustaniacs on lots of different models, all with a floyd except that one

Yeah. I think they just figure most people who want the infinite sustain would like to do whammy tricks with it, as well. They're probably right about that, for the most part. But yeah, changing tunings often makes the floyd a bitch. If you can't find a hardtail model you like, maybe just get one with a floyd and block it? Then you just don't use the locking nut, and you can change your tuning all you want. Plus, if you decide that you'd like to lock it into a tuning once in a while and do whammy tricks, you've got that option, as well.
Quote by the_bi99man
But yeah, changing tunings often makes the floyd a bitch. If you can't find a hardtail model you like, maybe just get one with a floyd and block it?

And, of course, there's the Variax, which will do alternate tunings all day without changing the tension on the strings. They have one variant (the JTV-89F) that has 24 frets, a 16" radius fretboard, jumbo frets, 25.5" scale and a Floyd.

It doesn't have a built-in sustainer. Putting one on will require an installation, probably by someone like Gary Brawer in San Francisco. Sustainers *will* work with Variax setups (there's an Adrian Belew sig guitar by Parker that has both Variax and sustainer and Floyd from the factory).

But that's about the only way to combine Floyd, sustainer and instantly changeable alternate tunings that will actually work together.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 17, 2014,