I've been playing guitar since I was about 10-11 years old (now 25). I started out acoustic but have drifted over to more electric playing now. I own acoustics....I just don't want her learning on my expensive Gibson's...for their safety!

Anywho, I have a budget of around $200-300.

Looking for a nice solid 6-string acoustic for an absolute beginner...one that can take a drop here or there.

Cheap but not too cheap that the sound quality in my price range is diminished and such. I want her to sound somewhat decent as she learns to help motivate her.

Any suggestions would be helpful and I appreciate any of you that do help as I start my search!
My roommate purchased a Takamine Jasmine to learn on, fairly bright sounding, a bit more compressed than a Taylor 110 id say, and the tension was a tad high for me (I fingerpick), but it definitely played far better than most of the starter instruments in that range, and he got it for around $100 or so I believe on Amazon. It seemed fairly reliable, stayed in tune when I borrowed it and there were no intonation issues or anything from the factory, so Id say give it a shot.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
i'd suggest a yamaha FG700 or FG720, and the all laminate yamaha F335 is nice, also. you might also consider a recording king solid top - i like their 000 sized guitars a lot.

i'm not a fan of jasmines myself, but your wife might like them. they do seem decently made.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Pick out one of these. A fine player for very little dough.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull,Guitar.gc?o=1
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thanks everyone! I'll put together some pictures and specs for her see what she is leaning toward! Much appreciated!
Quote by strat-O-matic92
Check out Alvarez guitars. I got one last Xmas and its sounds amazing. I got the AD60 model for $319. Fantastic solid spruce top,mahogany back and sides acoustic. Give it a try, you wont be sorry!!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/alvarez-artist-series-ad60-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar?rNtt=alvarez%20acoustic%20guitars&index=7

Ok, so I threw this one in last second...I made her a little slideshow with specs and pictures...She really liked this one. This is almost 100% the one I'll be buying her, she could change her mind between today and tomorrow (you all know how women can be sometimes).

Kind of a nice little experiment putting together specs and picture slideshow to see if what I've been teaching her here and there has sunk in any. lol Thank you all once again!