I've only playeda few acoustics a epi hummer a Ashton and a cheap indie guitar.

I'm looking at getting a apx 500 but it looks like it has quite a small neck are the strings very close together as I have quite big hands and big fingers will it be easy enough to play or is it very small and awkward to play.
1 11/16 nut is the standard width for a nut. The thinline guitars are generally made to play easily, like an electric, flat fretboard and all. Playability should be good. I have a Ibanez thinline and it plays nice. However with the thinner body, you will sacrifice some sound quality and volume when played unplugged. My Ibanez aef30e sounds good in a general sense of term "good" but compared to say, my seagull or yamaha full size bodied guitars; not quite as good. The thinlines are made to be plugged in but will still be OK when played unplugged if that's what you are looking for.
i've always found the standard 1 11/16" nut necks on guitars to be uncomfortable, but this neck is pretty much standard. btw, unplugged it sounds like cardboard.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
How bad is it unplugged I am going to get an amp after as I will play mainly plugged in. I wanted it for it's small size and easier to Carry around. It's gotta sound better than the 89 pound guitar I have at the minute?

I thought it sounded ok nice and bright Whig I like Just not much bass which I can deal with.
Quote by BassBen93
...[ ]....I thought it sounded ok nice and bright Whig I like Just not much bass which I can deal with.
The trouble with an instrument lacking natural bass, is that when you try to pump it up with EQ, it gets indistinct, fuzzy, distorted, and fake sounding.

Ibanez has several lines of acoustics that are ostensibly, "optimized", for use in amplified settings. However, even their full bodied "AEG" series, is fairly miserable without an amp.

If you have another instrument that is better for knocking around unplugged, by all means buy the Yamaha.

I find that even solid topped, big bodied guitars, can use a bit of judicious placement of effects pedals and EQ in conjunction with an amp to give of their best.

But what do I know? I even kick in chorus with a 12 string.

I know it's probably not germane to the issue, but I don't even see the crap bands on the David Letterman Show who are just starting out, using anything but full body guitars, and they're certainly plugged in.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 18, 2014,
chorus on a 12 string, huh? that's like chorus squared

it sounds pretty germane to me.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I'm not sure now I'm just after something bright for playing and recording and I just liked the guitar. I will use it both plugged in and unplugged. Ahh decisions decisions.
It's not gonna be much easier to carry around than a full size guitar. It's basically the same size just an inch thinner on the body.
I think I'm gonna get it it doesn't sound as bad as everyone makes out unplugged plus it will be plugged in just as much as it will be unplugged. I think it has a loud enough sound for me and is bright it just lacks in bass which I can deal with.
have you played it in person? i've played a bunch of them, and if you're looking for bright at a budget, i'd recommend the fender tim armstrong hellcat - definitely brighter, and a someone thing body with less cardboardy tone.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by BassBen93
I think I'm gonna get it it doesn't sound as bad as everyone makes out unplugged plus it will be plugged in just as much as it will be unplugged. I think it has a loud enough sound for me and is bright it just lacks in bass which I can deal with.

If you like it, that's all that really matters. I don't think my Ibanez aef30 thinline sounds bad at all, just lacking a little bit on the bass side. I actually like it better than my washburn wd7s which is a full size, solid top dread. My Yamaha A1R and seagull maritime blow it out of the water however, as they should- they're more expensive guitars.

I wouldn't get just because it is thinner though. Like I said, an inch doesn't make much difference in portability or comfort. I don't even really notice it. Since your looking at Yammies, you should compare it with the fx700sc. Both the same price with cutout and electronics but the 700 is full size and solid top.
Last edited by rohash at Dec 19, 2014,
Quote by BassBen93
I love threads like this The TS phrases his or her intentions in the form of a question, gets a whole lot of sensible input, then goes ahead with what he or she had every intention of doing in the first place.

It makes sense that it would go this way, since after one's mind is made up, it's quite difficult to change it. The difficulty coming from within. It's hard to make a single decision from a multitude of choices, and changing your mind after it's been made up, places you right back in the thick of that confusion.

I'm not saying this to be rude, or because I have any hard feelings. These things are just deja vu all over again, before they start.

I actually find them to be a tad ironic....

With that out of the way, for every reason you can present for buying this particular guitar, I can offer an alternative solution.

"X" guitar isn't bright enough? Stuff a set of 80/20 strings on it.

Since we're going to be plugging in and you want high end, the average 3 band, (or even 2 band), EQ and a piezo, will give you ear splitting highs. You can even pile it on more with the amp's tone controls.

"Y" dreadnought has too much bass? Put a set of "custom light gauge" strings on it.

That will thin out the bottom end. Or, buy a BIGGER (!) guitar. Jumbo body styles, have much more control in the bass, than the dreadnought shape. Many dreads boom. Many people like that, many don't.

I don't recommend all laminate guitars. I have 2 Ibanez all lams. They're OK, and my black AEL10. is pleasant enough sounding. My EW20 (ash laminate), has some virtues, a beautiful sounding onboard chorus. In the case of the AEL10, it's a bit dull when the strings wear in, and very dull when they were phosphor bronze to begin with. 80/20 strings took care of that, but you have to keep fresh strings on laminate guitars, more so than with solid topped, or all solid guitars

My 2 solid top guitars, a Fender "Sonoran", is smallish cutaway dread, and it's better than either of the Ibbys, after taking my own advice and lightening up the strings.

My Epi EJ-200SCE is a stone cold winner, a bit better than the Fender. I must have gotten lucky with this, as i been reading the reviews and people are complaining about QC issues. I can't find a flaw in mine. Epi is notorious for QC issues, I suppose. But, you can't prove it by me.

I think there's better bang for you buck than the Yamaha you've picked out. But, it's not my money, and I certainly won't be playing it. That said, if that's your decision, I respect it, and I wish you the best of luck with your choice...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 20, 2014,